Car Servicing semi-rant

Still wondering whether to write a snotty letter to a manager somewhere
You need to find the CEO / owner of said garage, and go all @Lynton on their arse, I certainly wouldn't let it drop.
No matter how much they try and tread all over you, hoping that you will get tyred and give up.
(Ok Ok I'm done :D )

But seriously, go to the top, I would (y)

Nope, I never ordered them. Put the old ones back on. Oh, you have destroyed my property? That will be £x......
This^
There's no way I'd be getting into a discussion regarding the price of something I didn't want.

This^
There's no way I'd be getting into a discussion regarding the price of something I didn't want.
The same here there would be no discussion other than how long it would be taking them to put my old tyres back on.

I would let their manager know you will not be using them again, and that you will also be complaining the VW UK.

I thought people only used main dealers if their car was still under warranty or a company car.

Go straight to the CEO of the group.

We had an issue with a Merc dealer that manages to crack the windscreen on my wife's Smart Roadster. They did the 'it was like that when it came in', they 'checked the cctv' etc and the mechanic had been there years and would not lie. They basically accused me of lying.
One email to the CEO explaining what had happened, it was the principle as we could have replaced the windscreen through insurance resulted in a visit to my wife's work by the regional manager, who within 10 minutes had apologised, agreed to replace the windscreen and valet the car.

Too much info to go in the WAMT thread, whilst i'm on a tea break...

VW Golf went in for service on friday on a collection basis.

Got a call about 3 o clock, "We've done your service and brake fluid. We note that 2 of your tyres are down to 3mm, its £80 per tyre for us to change them"

I know about the tyres, been keeping an eye on them for months.

I tell the service people this, and tell them to leave them on as I can get the tyres cheaper from black circles at a later date.

Get a call about half four to pay the bill, including £160 for tyres.

"Whoa! I told you not to do the tyres!"

there then followed some arguing to-ing and fro-ing and the rep saying:
"Mr dorset dude I must inform you that we record all calls"

Excellent thinks I, I know what I said so there will be proof. I say "Great, go and listen to that then and you will see that I did not ask for the tyres"

Call back 20 minutes later. "Our rep wasn't at her desk when she rang you about the tyres so unfortunately we do not have the call record but our rep and the driver who was sat near her desk at the time clearly heard you say you wanted the tyres fitted". Me starting to get quite annoyed now.

Loads more arguing and them basically telling me I'm a liar because all their staff say I did ask for the tyres. Were all their staff sitting round a speaker phone listening in then!? In the end they agreed to drop the price of the tyres to only £5 more, for the two, than I would have paid at black circles. I was still fuming at basically being called a liar but went with it as it seemed the best option. :mad:

At one point, between VW phone calls, I actually rang back to a friend of mine who I was with at the time (3pm) when they rang and discussed the tyres and asked, "Did I definitely say I dont want the tyres do you remember?"
"Yes I remember, you definitely said you didn't want them, I'll be a witness if you like"

Anyway I've got Continental tyres on, and given the choice I would have got Goodyear efficient Grip or Dunlop blu responses. No idea how they compare with my choices.

Still wondering whether to write a snotty letter to a manager somewhere or just let it go for the sake of £5. It all boils down to "he said, she said" at the end of it, even though I know I'm right and don't like being told I'm a liar by some corporate chump.

Thoughts?

Cheers all and sorry for the long post!

ONLY EVER give your mobile number for any calls. Install for FREE on you mobile a recording app that records all calls you could have then said to them no worries I have a recording of the call myself.

Hey presto 2 free tyres

Would be really handy if my iPhone had recorded the calls on friday!

I use an android phone now but I have an app called "automatic call recorder". I'm sure similar are available for the iPhone. It records both sides of a conversation which is very useful in situations like this! Even when companies tell me that they record all calls (usually for MY safety and convenience of course) it is rather nice to point out that you do the same for their safety too :)

Perhaps for the future?

Serious question, is recording conversations legal?
Don't they say that this conversation MAYBE recorded for training purposes, rather than WILL, so we can catch you out at a later date?

i tried about a year ago to find a way of recording calls on iPhone. Seemed it was illegal and couldn't do it. Maybe more than a year but couldn't find a way to do it

As usual, I try and avoid big companies
I use a local mechanic shop for excellent service well beyond what the big boys can do and much better rates too. This kind of thing would never happen as it's all face to face and there is no one around to not care or blame someone else
Since I bought the pickup two years ago, it's only been back for delivery faults and I've been less than happy with the dealer on many things and false promises. The motor is brilliant (Mitsubishi) the dealer and service I've had is not

Oh right, I didn't know that.

I believe it's down to our euro cousins and their crazy rules. :)
Been that way for years. I'm sure my new Renault was when I found out around 2006. Never used main dealer since for servicing or little repairs

Serious question, is recording conversations legal? Aren't you supposed to inform the other party before the conversation?

Yes it is perfectly legal to record a conversation, you can tell them you are recording if you wish but you do have to do so

Last edited:
You paid the bill you agreed to it by doing so
Don't waste time on it
That isn't entirely true. A garage can only bill someone for work they have authorised to be carried out, usually by signing for it when dropping the car off. Being badgered into paying after and pretty much being called a liar isn't agreeing to a job being carried out.

Many years ago I had a dealer replace a cambelt. 3 months later the water pump started to fail and leak coolant. Took car back to same dealer for a new water pump to be fitted. On picking the car up, I found they had charged me for a cambelt renewal. I questioned why they had done this as it had only been done 3 months earlier. I was told the leaking coolant contaminates the cambelt and it is replaced as a matter of course. I was asked if this had been explained when I made the booking or dropped the car off, which I denied. I was asked to take a seat and they printed off a new bill minus the cambelt and associated labour, no questions asked.

as far as i can see its purely and simply fraud ,proving it will be difficult though ,trading standards is possibly the best route as they may have pulled this before . makes you wonder if they are trying to claw back corporate money from elsewhere to pay for the emissions scandal .as it must be hurting them badly .
It will likely be a franchised dealership. I doubt VW own it. But dealerships don't make that much from selling cars, their main income will be from servicing and parts.

Serious question, is recording conversations legal? Aren't you supposed to inform the other party before the conversation?
I believed it wasn't, but checking the Ofcom website (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/prvfaq3.htm) :

Can I record telephone conversations on my home phone?

Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted.

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.

I believed it wasn't, but checking the Ofcom website (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/prvfaq3.htm) :

Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted.

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.

Does this apply to the use of mobile phones.............how loose is the meaning of "home phone"?

That isn't entirely true. A garage can only bill someone for work they have authorised to be carried out, usually by signing for it when dropping the car off. Being badgered into paying after and pretty much being called a liar isn't agreeing to a job being carried out.

Many years ago I had a dealer replace a cambelt. 3 months later the water pump started to fail and leak coolant. Took car back to same dealer for a new water pump to be fitted. On picking the car up, I found they had charged me for a cambelt renewal. I questioned why they had done this as it had only been done 3 months earlier. I was told the leaking coolant contaminates the cambelt and it is replaced as a matter of course. I was asked if this had been explained when I made the booking or dropped the car off, which I denied. I was asked to take a seat and they printed off a new bill minus the cambelt and associated labour, no questions asked.
But you hadn't paid the bill, once you do, you lose a lot of trump cards

Ok so I know they should have said before, but for someone who says they know about cars I would have thought you would know that it's normal to change the cambelt after a water pump failure,
antifreeze can have a bad effect on the belt.and as it is exposed when they change the pump it is a simple job to change, better then it failing and taking the engine with it..
Both times I've had a pump failure I have asked for it to be done, although I have a good garage and I know he would ask first.

Mobile/landline, makes no difference, you can record your calls

it was more the recording with intent to give it to someone else, i.e. trading standards. but that seems to be covered by you having to let the the other party know.

Ok so I know they should have said before, but for someone who says they know about cars I would have thought you would know that it's normal to change the cambelt after a water pump failure,
This was around 20yrs ago when I was a press toolmaker, not a prototype mechanic as I am now. Due the fact the water pump was only weeping, contamination was probably unlikely. The cambelt will likely run ok for thousands of miles, whether it will last the full 80,000 can only be found out in one way only, but a garage will recommend replacement as they can't guarantee it won't fail, plus it saves time not having to go back again should it fail. A similar practice with cars with dual mass flywheels, if the starter motor isn't protected from the dust/metal particles from a failing DMF, replacing the starter motor is recommended, some garages will just blow the starter motor out with an air line.

it was more the recording with intent to give it to someone else, i.e. trading standards. but that seems to be covered by you having to let the the other party know.

In the scenario of the OP if he had his own recording he simply(?) say to the garage listen to my record of the phonecall for them to capitulate..............but if they still try to play dirty can you then take the recording to Trading Standards???

can you though if you didnt warn them you were recording initially?
Well VW rep didnt warn me when the rep first rang me back at 3pm, so.... anyway its a moot point as I dont have a recording.

Yes you could, to add substance, to your claim to trading standards - However you/they would not be allowed to use/rely upon it should there be a prosecution later down the line - it would be inadmissible

A fully functioning emissions control.
It is fully functioning. It uses the ABS sensors to see that the front wheel geometry hasn't changed, switches the engine into test mode, passes the test. Simple really. :banana:

It is fully functioning. It uses the ABS sensors to see that the front wheel geometry hasn't changed, switches the engine into test mode, passes the test. Simple really. :banana:

It's not fully functional because the system they have in place is only large enough to get it through a test and a little bit more. It's not big enough for everyday use nor does it work in every day use.

It's not fully functional because the system they have in place is only large enough to get it through a test and a little bit more. It's not big enough for everyday use nor does it work in every day use.
but there are 11 million in everyday use, apparently.

If that was the case, then how would anyone (including the police/security services) ever be able to use recorded information to prove that somebody has said something dodgy/incriminating?
As soon as you said "I am recording this call", they would either put the phone down or not drop themselves in it.

If that was the case, then how would anyone (including the police/security services) ever be able to use recorded information to prove that somebody has said something dodgy/incriminating?
As soon as you said "I am recording this call", they would either put the phone down or not drop themselves in it.

There are different requirement criteria for criminal and civil matters.

Back