Catch Fencing

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
As much as I’ve bemoaned catch fencing over the years as it ruins photography, after seeing Zhou’s crash in F1 just now I’m never going to complain again. Thank god everyone’s OK.

I’m sure many a spectator has bemoaned them too. Its only when you see the foreseeable reason why someone has pushed for them to be there that we really understand why. It reminds me of the story of Cockcroft’s follies at Windscale. It seems a bit excessive until they are really needed, and then you thank they are there.

I’m sure many a spectator has bemoaned them too. Its only when you see the foreseeable reason why someone has pushed for them to be there that we really understand why. It reminds me of the story of Cockcroft’s follies at Windscale. It seems a bit excessive until they are really needed, and then you thank they are there.
I’ve never heard of the follies, but I’ve just been having a google and it’s an interesting read.
Thanks for sharing.
And I agree with the op about the fencing at race tracks.

I have photographed back in the day, at the F1, BTCC, Moto GP, Champ Car and some other events. It was very much point and shoot in them days and with film too. I wasn't actually into photography in a big way then. I can remember though, when I got my photos back from the developers, how much of a pain the catch fencing was from a photography perspective, even then as a non photographer.

I was reminded at a Champ Car event though, why it was there. Long story short, a car crashed into the wall, rose on top of it and along the catch fencing, I saw the underneath of the car, just about 20 feet from where I was sat. There's no doubt, it would've been into the crowd had it not been for the catch fencing. It was so close, I felt the heat off the car and could smell the coolant, oil and whatnot.

There must be 1000s, if not 100s of 1000s of kilometers of catch fencing at circuits throughout the world, but those few meters today at the Grand Prix probably saved a few people from injury, or worse.

It's a good thing in my book. (y)

I have photographed back in the day, at the F1, BTCC, Moto GP, Champ Car and some other events. It was very much point and shoot in them days and with film too. I wasn't actually into photography in a big way then. I can remember though, when I got my photos back from the developers, how much of a pain the catch fencing was from a photography perspective, even then as a non photographer.

I was reminded at a Champ Car event though, why it was there. Long story short, a car crashed into the wall, rose on top of it and along the catch fencing, I saw the underneath of the car, just about 20 feet from where I was sat. There's no doubt, it would've been into the crowd had it not been for the catch fencing. It was so close, I felt the heat off the car and could smell the coolant, oil and whatnot.

There must be 1000s, if not 100s of 1000s of kilometers of catch fencing at circuits throughout the world, but those few meters today at the Grand Prix probably saved a few people from injury, or worse.

It's a good thing in my book. (y)
Definitely is a good thing in my book too now. It's mad to see how it was at Donington back when I used to go as a kid

NZ7_2704 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

NZ7_2707 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

It's like when we used to go and watch the Lombard RAC rally at Chatsworth and Clumber, we used to stand on the track and then you'd hear a marshall whistle so you take a couple of steps back as the car whizzed past a few feet in front of you :eek:

we used to stand on the track and then you'd hear a marshall whistle so you take a couple of steps back as the car whizzed past a few feet in front of you :eek:

Have to say, it amazes me how there haven't been many, many fatalities at rally events. There have been of course but relatively speaking, mercifully few.

IOM TT also.

Have to say, it amazes me how there haven't been many, many fatalities at rally events. There have been of course but relatively speaking, mercifully few.

IOM TT also.
I was just thinking the same thing. I remember going in the 1970's and being amazed at the numbers on the outside of the corners (the run-off) Personally I likes a big tree in front of me.

My son and his wife were standing at the barrier as Zhou came careering towards them upside down. They were both treated to a gravel shower, as were the people behind them up to 6 rows back. My son has always said that out of all the GP’s he’s been to he’s never seen a crash and after that one he never wants to see another one. Zhou is one very lucky driver!

Reactions: Nod

IOM TT also.

I think we shouldn't lose sight of the madness which was happening on stages and which lead to the end of Group B. There were fatalities, spectators and crews, as you say, mercifully few.

1c7gy85xbl921.jpg

Ah! The early '80s! When sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous!!!

L555bat.jpg
My favourite picture from the "good old days" not quite standing on the edge of the stage but not far off !!

I was at Castle Coombe last year for MotoGP but at Quarry corner, there was catch fencing but you could get above that on the bank and get a clean photo. Also further round the track just beyond the Esses, there is a break in the fencing so good for photography. I did become aware that there was a risk in this but though I captured several crashes from the bank at Quarry, no crashes occurred at the Esses.

Dave

I was at Castle Coombe last year for MotoGP but at Quarry corner, there was catch fencing but you could get above that on the bank and get a clean photo. Also further round the track just beyond the Esses, there is a break in the fencing so good for photography. I did become aware that there was a risk in this but though I captured several crashes from the bank at Quarry, no crashes occurred at the Esses.

Dave
Castle Coombe for the MotoGP?????? I must have missed that ;)

Dave
Quarry at 'Combe is the busiest corner in the UK for marshals. You come in fast, slightly unsighted, over a crest. The circuits a bit bumpy. There isn't much run off and then armco.

Quarry at 'Combe is the busiest corner in the UK for marshals. You come in fast, slightly unsighted, over a crest. The circuits a bit bumpy. There isn't much run off and then armco.

I know I’ve hit it!! Many years ago in a TVR, lost it on the exit kerbs at quarry, went very sideways, then started heading towards the Armco backwards along the straight, onto the grass at which point I’m a passenger, fortunately the car hit a bump, partially turned again and I ended up punching a small hole in the fibreglass, very little damage, a huge sigh of relief, restarted engine and got going again!!!

Most people lose it on the entrance to Quarry, as you mentioned it is very bumpy and the car goes light over the Avon Rise, the trick is not to be braking over the crest, but brake very hard just after it, where it’s a lot smoother- I am talking about 25 years ago here, so it might have changed a bit!!

Once I was taken around by Tim Harvey (ex BTCC champion) in a BMW, he showed up how bumpy it is on the right hand side of the Avon Rise (where you wouldn’t normally be!) then he cooly power slid it around Quarry!!

'Combe hasn't really changed that much. They put two sets of chicanes in place in 1998, one after Quarry and one after Tower to slow cars down a bit. Still bumpy. Biggest change is now there is a solar farm on the infield.

Back