cex online, not the best experience....

Edit My Images
No
I have bought many bits and pieces through cex in store and never had any problem.

Two weeks ago there website was showing a canon 17-85 is usm lens at a price that was to good to be true (and at my age i should have realised thats always the case).

Bought and paid for it online, free shipping job done.

Lens arrived 4 days later, in the tattiest, shredded, mainly popped very used bubble wrapped envelope. Popping it onto try saw the lens work in Auto, but return an err001 advising me to clean the contacts in aperture or shutter prio modes.

Decided i wasn't keen on that idea, so as i had literally had it out the envelope for 15 mins, it was going straight back in and to be returned for a refund. This is where the fun and games starts.

Ideally i would have liked to have returned it to local store for a refund, but under there online t+cs thats not allowed and talking to them in store they werent going to swallow that one.

so packaged it back up in the same envelope, paid for postage and put a copy of the postage receipt in the parcel before shipping via special delivery. (they will refund postage if you provide a receipt). I also emailed them adviding them of the tracking number, the problem and asking when i would get my refund.

I received a short email in reply quoting there website t+cs stating that refunds are only avilable if you return the item in 7 days (which im fairly sure contravenes sales of good act and the distance selling act), and after that i would get gift vouchers.

I replied to say i had returned it the morning after it had been delivered, and was looking forward to my refund for the faulty item. We then had a period of approx 7 days where nothing happened at all. Cex have no published phone numbers so all you can do is email them. I eventually got a reply telling me they were testing the lens before making a decision. (Apparently if they do not find a fauly they would just return it, again contravening the two acts mentioned above iirc).

After finally loosing patience i felt the need to use linkedin (IT facebook type thing) and managed to find entries for there marketing director and managing director who i emailed to let them know of this great customer service from one IT professional to another.

No reply.

I finally some 12 days letter received my refund with a little email saying they reserved the right to take up to 30 days at there discretion (again contrvening the two.... you get the idea).
Sadly the refund did not include any postage at all.

Emailed them enquiring about my postage and packing refund as per there own terms and conditions, two days later i received cheque for £2.25, the only slight confusion being that special delivery of the lend had cost £5.95.
Emailed them again, was told i had to provide proof of postage cost to them, er i had, it was in the parcel i had sent you in the first place!

Fortunately the wife had used royal mail online to book the special delivery, so we were able to print off a copy of the receipt and email that, still waiting for the cheque to cover the remainder, although i do have a confirmation email.

I have to say i find there flagrant abuse of customer protection acts somewhat distressing, they are obviously prefering to sit and hold your cash for as long as possible, the fact they quote no phone numbers for any ecommerce returns should have set warning bells going, from now on cex is an in store experience only for me.

I brought a LG Renoir - unlocked supposed to have been, but was still locked into the 3 network... Emailed them they said to return to the address given with their returns No. for a full refund - which I did - waited & waited emailed them after 3 weeks - told that they have recieved my returns & are looking into it...

A month later a parcel arrived which I had to go an collect - It was another LG Renoir but in girlie pink!!!!

So much for the refund which they agreed to but must say it was the latest version of the LG Renoir & fully unlocked (no signs of a newtwork provider anywhere) an totally as new as new can be but used (if you get my meaning) but it was in pink....

Did it go back - NOOOOOOOO ny other half spotted it (cos it was pink) she wanted a newer phone & so had it & pleased that it was pink...

They are slow on somethings ie returns & some orders but they do answer their emails quite quickly thou - which is a shame they don't do their returns as quick thou...

Their stores aren't much better! I had a right battle with them about a phone! In the end, I sold it on eBay for more than I bought it for.

Still no cheque for the remainder of the postage, company really is a joke

Still no cheque for the remainder of the postage, company really is a joke

That'll prob be another 28days - if the rest of their terms & conditions are to go by :cautious:

They are normally quite good - however i had a blackberry from there, and the previous user then reported it lost/stolen! so it was blocked - two of the members of staff were saying they can't do anything and it's probably my settings, one of the other members of staff actually called a friend they knew at Orange and they confirmed it was blocked, - Gift Exc for another phone.

In my case i had great service following the crappy service originally recieved so i guess i was one of the lucky ones!

Back