CF Card Reader Needed

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm after a CF card reader and wondering what are peoples recommendations? Is is it worth going for a fire wire one? Also some recommended places to buy would be great.

TIA

If it's for a laptop then I just bought one from ebay and it's at the collection office. It's an adapter one so I'll slid it into the side of the laptop (PCMCIA slot) so no wires and a faster connection I believe!

Just look up CF Adapters in google.

If it's for a desktop then Firewire is faster than USB but to be honest you only really need firewire for video transfers to prevent frames from dropping. I think when it comes to the speed of transferring from your card to computer ultra fast only matters if you are a pro and every second counts.

I just use a Belkin reader, which has half silver casing and half orange. USB 2.0 compatible and downloads RAW files reasonably quick. Picked it up for about £8 IIRC and has lifetime warranty.

Obviously not gonna be as fast as firewire but fast enough for the needs of an enthusiast tog.

I'm looking for a card reader too and was wondering if there's a speed difference between USB 2 and a PCMCIA adapter? I think the PCMCIA solution's neater but not sure if it's much slower. Anybody know?

Thanks for the replies. I should of said, it is for desktop. I know on paper fire wire is a lot faster but I am wondering if that is the case in real life.

Firewire/USB and there's the rub. Firewire and USB-2 have similar download speeds, however firewire 800 is about double both of them. The problem is can the card pass the data fast enough? Looking at some transfer speeds on the Lexar stand ay Focus, Firewire 800 doesn't transfer twice as fast, it looks like about 25% faster. And this was with the UDMA cards Lexar have introduces , using the UDMA readers.

If you've a lap top check to see if it has an Express card slot. If it has you may be better off getting an reader that fits in this. Delkin do several I believe.

sandisk do an extreme cf reader which has the same dl speed as the extreme 3 cards.ive one and there are great.have a look around for the best price.you might find one with a free card??????if they are still hanging about.oh nearly forgot there usb..

Forgot to mention for anyone who does have a laptop that's fairly new it may not be a PCMCIA slot but an Express Slot (PCI-Express basically - even faster!). Eject the pastic filler and look at the shape (if it's not a complete rectangle then it's express).

Back