Clud17-52-2010 Wk 27 Art

Loving your 1st shot for 'single' - beautiful scenery and lighting captured really well. Once again, (I think I may have said this on another thread), I am a sucker for images that tell a story and I think your 1st image could tell several stories. It's very peaceful and the kind of image I'd love to have as my desktop background on my work laptop so I could just close all the b****y spreadsheets and email for a minute and two and just look at that image and almost imagine myself sitting on that chair and gather my thoughts!!!

2nd image - the harsh flash light falling on the back of the chair unfortunately draws my eyes away from the rest of the image, so not one for me.

Thanks Pro, better still close all the spreadsheets and emails down grab a chair and go up the hill yourself for the view:)

Week 16 Stare

Well here i am again, i think this challenge is turning into a self portrait thread as i present myself to you fine people once again :). There may be a second image to follow as i have an idea or two that i might try when i have a few more hours and find the right location. However, to keep me satisfied i thought id try this shot. I put this one together partly as Keffiyeh tied in this way brings the focus to the eyes and the stare, and partly so you don't have to see my ugly mug after a hard day at work. The lighting is a single angle poise lamp and i used a reflector to address some of the shadows on my face.

Bedouin Eyes
4544332922_3d8c1f0272_o.jpg

Last edited:
Bang onthe theme I like it, every thing works well, had an crap week with my stare but think I may of got there

Spot on Chris.

It looks like a huge spotlight has caught you in it's glare at night. Really sharp and well composed. Catchlights and the border go to make a great image (y)

Andy

Nice idea & execution! Good lighting, composition & colours,

Phil

Nice shot, well done.

The focus is drawn to the eyes and the reflector has helped with teh shadows. Nice Pano crop gives it a movie-like feel.

Good stuff!

Ian.

Fantastic image Chris!
Its all been said above but bang on theme, I like the colours and lighting in this and good crop too. (y) Iain

Nice one Chris! Having tried a self portrait for my 52 attempt this week, I fully appreciate how difficult it can be to take a decent self portrait, but I really like your composition and lighting in this shot. The framing works really well too, but the only tiny thing that I am finding slightly distracting is the red thread creeping out in to the black background towards the bottom right of the frame - not sure if cloning it out would make any difference?

Fantastic image Chris!
Its all been said above but bang on theme, I like the colours and lighting in this and good crop too. (y) Iain
Thanks mate:)

Nice one Chris! Having tried a self portrait for my 52 attempt this week, I fully appreciate how difficult it can be to take a decent self portrait, but I really like your composition and lighting in this shot. The framing works really well too, but the only tiny thing that I am finding slightly distracting is the red thread creeping out in to the black background towards the bottom right of the frame - not sure if cloning it out would make any difference?

Cheers Pro, i know what you mean about the thread, i did process one without the thread and im not sure how it crept back into this shot.

Excellent Chris.

You are drawn to the eyes and the lighting is really good as are the colours. It could have been taken in the desert at night!

'Stare' is awesome! Love it's border too, very fitting! (y)

My internet connection is terrible, so can't look at the ones I've missed since last commenting as photos take days to load :(

Chris

Chris,

Love the stare pic - like the lighting and the black background.

Personally, I am not a fan of the white 2 lines and the black areas top and bottom - but that's just my taste.

Wow, Chris - top shot! Your can do self portraits every week as far as I'm concerned! This is lively, eye catching (sorry - couldn't resist!) and beautifully lit. (y)

Like Lynton, I'm not too keen on the border, but that's just personal taste, but the imge is strong enough to overcome that small aberration! ;)

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Well here i am again, i think this challenge is turning into a self portrait thread as i present myself to you fine people once again :)

You're turning out to be a right poser aren't you ? :p :LOL:
Based on the last couple though, I'm with Jean - you can do a SP every week if this is how they turn out.

I can't add anything to what's already been said. Brilliant shot, and the lighting is superb. :clap:
I can't believe that you achieved that with just a lamp.

Looking forward to seeing what you do for week 17.

I like that Chris, different to what anyone else has produced and nicely executed.

Well done

Bang on... excelletn take on the theme (y)

Week 17 Peace

Thanks for all the positive comments on the last one, this week ive decided to stay behind the lens:)

Well i have to say iv'e been pretty uninspired this week, i did see a great shot today in the park. Two girls were sat amongst the daffodils and one of them was wearing a T shirt with a CND symbol and the word peace written on it. It would have been perfect had i had my camera, although having said that the park peodo police would have shot me down.

Anyway i saw this a couple of days ago as the sun was going down, the sky started to light up a salmon colour and this was reflected in the contrails of two planes. They gave me a pleasant present by crossing paths , a symbol of peace in the skies. I'm submitting this in the absence of anything better so i hope you like it.

Hot Cross Contrails
4568290445_2e1852e396_o.jpg

Last edited:
LOL love the story of the park girls.:police:

Your shot for Peace is brilliant. The colours in the sky along with the red make for a very peaceful image.

looking int othe sky is indeed peaceful. Like the image. Wonder if it would be even more peaceful sky without the contrails although the pink is really nice:bonk:

Lovely shot Chris. The blue/purple border isn't doing much for me though.

A nice peaceful sky.

(y)

Ian.

Chris,

Cracking idea, and nice peace shot, but am not a fan of borders - sorry.....

Really strong take on the theme.... reminds me of friends wife telling their 2 kids that when 2 planes cross like that its Grandad blowing them a kiss from heaven.... I just want to step in, in the style of Lion King... (Timon and Pummba looking at the stars....

P: "they are the ancient gods and leaders looking down on us from the past...."
T: "Damn, and I thought they were bright balls of gas burning billions of miles away!")

with

"Damn, and I thought it was two different planes at slightly different altitudes on different flight paths......."

Still awaiting to see my first "Star of David" / "Crescent" in the sky though, so obviously the airline gods have their chosen "make believe" :naughty: deity they wish to be associated with.......

Chris,

Cracking idea, and nice peace shot, but am not a fan of borders - sorry.....

Really strong take on the theme.... reminds me of friends wife telling their 2 kids that when 2 planes cross like that its Grandad blowing them a kiss from heaven.... I just want to step in, in the style of Lion King... (Timon and Pummba looking at the stars....

P: "they are the ancient gods and leaders looking down on us from the past...."
T: "Damn, and I thought they were bright balls of gas burning billions of miles away!")

with

"Damn, and I thought it was two different planes at slightly different altitudes on different flight paths......."

Still awaiting to see my first "Star of David" / "Crescent" in the sky though, so obviously the airline gods have their chosen "make believe" :naughty: deity they wish to be associated with.......
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Great reply Lynton although the only time i have seen the Lion king was when i lived in Romania. It was dubbed Italian with Romanian subtitles so i didnt have much of a clue:D

Lovely shot Chris. The blue/purple border isn't doing much for me though.

A nice peaceful sky.

(y)

Ian.

I love the sky, Chris. The colours are really beautiful. I think I agree with Ian that a simpler border might have been preferable. You don't want to detract from the sky.

A good take on the theme :clap:

Jenny
Cheers guys, i understand what you mean about the border, i shaved a bit off to have a look and it did look better

Well I like borders, so :razz: !!!
(although I'll admit that the more subtle border in the edit seems to work better with this)

Shame that you missed out on the shot in the park, but this one works well.
Very peaceful and beautiful colours - the way the sunset's lit up the contrails was a really good spot. In fact it reminds me of drawing kisses on the inside of my schoolbooks in hot pink lipstick :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Chris, I like your edit too.
The colours are great, so vivid in the image. I think this would make a great print, as big as you could get. It wouldn't look out of place in a holiday brochure or magazine. All round there is a lot to like about your image, well done. Oh and as Sarah said, shame about the park image, that sounds as if that would have been a corker too.(y)

Sorry Chris, but this does not work for me as I cannot see peace in this shot.
What It does portray to me is power and movement and I think this because of the contrails. The jet eflux is very powerful portraying great movement and fast movement, conveying people all over the globe to get their business done or to get to a holiday destination as quickly as possible. It seems that I have looked at your picture from a completely different angle than anyone else, there again if we were all the same how boring would the world be.

Allan

Very nice, particularly with the narrower border. Good framing and some lovely subtle colours as well as the bright pinks.

Lovely Chris, the colours are excellent and really peaceful. The narrower border works excellently.

Back