Cockermouth

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Me and the fam are off to cockermouth for a week this weekend and we're looking for things to do.

We love the outdoors, hiking, bug hunting, wildlife etc.

I'm also after doing some star trails as I know it gets quite dark in cockermouth, I think star gazing live was filmed there a few years back?

Anyway any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

I Think Jennings brewery still do tours. (y)

We stayed in Mawbray last year & loved the area. Some really good sunsets across the Solway from there with old wooden groins & beach in the FG.

Really good fish n chip shop @ Allonby, btw. ;)

I thought this was a thread about Jose Mourinho...

I stayed in a rather nice hotel in Cockermouth a few years ago, loved the place.
It's well situated for access to the lakes. Google is your friend :)

there is an osprey view point near bassenthwaite lake (fun fact... only lake in the lake district!) if I remember rightly its well signposted from the A66.

castlerigg stone circle might be good for start work, its near Keswick. ashness bridge (and the lookout over the lake if you keep going up past ashness are nice to visit although might be crazy busy at this time of year.

Finally your kids will love you forever if you take them to the icecream parlor at Allonby (just outside the lake district but about 20mins from cockermouth).

Hope these are some help

I can't really say any more about Cockermouth as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and didn't actually leave the hotel...

I didn't want to spoil the thread, but when I saw the thread title, the first thing/person that jumped into my head was, Gillian Taylforth :D
I thought it was going to be about motorsport. :)

I strongly recommend the short drive to along to Buttermere :) You can easily park the car there, and walk right round that lovely stretch of water, set in beautiful, varied (and photogenic) countryside. Don't miss it!
PS I have had many an excellent meal in the Trout hotel, at the end of the main street- best place in Cockermouth for eating and drinking IMHO.

Last edited:
Back