Colours MK II

Another very nice portrait style capture Gav, liking this one very much although probably preferring the pic' you posted the other day.

Interesting, but you've created uplighting - aka monster lighting. Is that deliberate?

Fwiw I really like uplighting but it's tricky to make it flattering.
Hi Simon, cheers, I had a plan of uplighting, I had an idea of Em looking down, but I didn't feel it suited Em's face/chin with the lighting.
But while we were there Em had a moment of being comfortable, so I just ran with it rather than tweaking the lights :)

Is there something that stands out as being off/wrong?
I'm guessing the heaving shadow on her right eye?

Last edited:
Hi Simon, cheers, I had a plan of uplighting, I had an idea of Em looking down, but I didn't feel it suited Em's face/chin with the lighting.
But while we were there Em had a moment of being comfortable, so I just ran with it rather than tweaking the lights :)

Is there something that stands out as being off/wrong?
I'm guessing the heaving shadow on her right eye?
It's fine if it's deliberate ;)

There unusual shadows a few places - above the chin, above the top lip, above the cheekbones, above the eyes.

It's fine if it's deliberate ;)
In that case, it was deliberate :LOL: :exit:

There unusual shadows a few places - above the chin, above the top lip, above the cheekbones, above the eyes.
I see what you mean, I'll blame Em for the head roll ;)
I need to work on this, Em has dark eyes naturally and I've not help at all there, thank you for the feedback I'll take note and try and improve on these.
Appreciate your time, thank you (y)

FWIW this works better for me than the first. It's a different pose and expression as well as slightly different light positions, and it seems more cohesive.

FWIW this works better for me than the first. It's a different pose and expression as well as slightly different light positions, and it seems more cohesive.
Thank you for the feedback, I'll keep chipping away (y)

I much prefer this one and although Simon is correct about some of the shadows, I think they're well enough controlled to make it work. Nice one!

In that case, it was deliberate :LOL: :exit:

I see what you mean, I'll blame Em for the head roll ;)
I need to work on this, Em has dark eyes naturally and I've not help at all there, thank you for the feedback I'll take note and try and improve on these.
Appreciate your time, thank you (y)

I've found a number of ways managing shadows on the face when the light is really particular.

One is to direct the subject rather precisely; micropose them. That can result in lifeless images unless you have a gifted performer or get lucky.
Another is to give them some vague directions about how to work with the light - that only works with experienced & skilled models.
A third is to simply take a lot of pictures while they move.
A fourth is to simply go with it.

The fifth is to make the light less particular!

I've found a number of ways managing shadows on the face when the light is really particular.

One is to direct the subject rather precisely; micropose them. That can result in lifeless images unless you have a gifted performer or get lucky.
Another is to give them some vague directions about how to work with the light - that only works with experienced & skilled models.
A third is to simply take a lot of pictures while they move.
A fourth is to simply go with it.

The fifth is to make the light less particular!
Food for thought, thank you, Simon (y)

I like it. She is looking so much more relaxed, compared to the first bunch. Well done both of you (y)

It's a striking picture and I like it. Well taken Gav :D

It could be a still from a Star Trek movie or Guardians of the Galaxy. And I mean that as a compliment :D

It's a striking picture and I like it. Well taken Gav :D

It could be a still from a Star Trek movie or Guardians of the Galaxy. And I mean that as a compliment :D
Thank you, Alan, thought I'd something differant, brighter, more cheerful?

Thank you, Paul, do get lucky with a few images.
My keeper rate is worse with Em than the Hares or Birds :LOL:
Yeah but you're getting so much better, mate. Like everything, it takes time, patience and a lot of practice ;)

Hiya. I really like these colour shots.

Your better half seems so much more at ease in these shots.

Well done the pair of you.

Gaz

Back