Convince me NOT to get an iphone

If you can get a free iphone on a c£30 month contract,

eeerm you cant... its 30 quid a month and in anyones language that aint free:)

My daughter bought an iphone on PAYG for 340 quid and she goes on the internet unlimited time/etc for a tenner a month PAYG top up fingy

I just bite the bullet now and buy the phone sim free. I 'm not tied to a contract and can go anywhere I like. I currently have a sim only deal with Vodafone for £15 a month. For that I get 600 minutes, unlimted texts (actually capped at 3000 per month) and unlimited internet.

I'd suggest mostly hype, when I was looking for my new phone I looked at the iPhone (just released 3g at the time) but it didn't have a lot of the features I was looking for in a phone (some of which have been improved on with the 3GS) and the contract was a lot more expensive.

iPhone users would probably disagree however...

As has been mentioned in loads of other threads the best bet is to go and try a few of the options out at a phone shop and see which you prefer. :)

I'd suggest the 3Gs, HD2, Desire, Xperia X10 (although it isn't out quite yet) and the Hero. :)

I just bite the bullet now and buy the phone sim free. I 'm not tied to a contract and can go anywhere I like. I currently have a sim only deal with Vodafone for £15 a month. For that I get 600 minutes, unlimted texts (actually capped at 3000 per month) and unlimited internet.

I just get a contract that works out cheaper/ slightly more than the phone sim free. That way I save loads of money usually. :)

For example I got my first contract phone 4 years ago with the k750, the contract was a 12 month £25 one and worked out cheaper than buying the phone sim free. My phone at the moment is the HTC HD which cost £500 when it was released. My contract (with 600mins/texts and internet) is around £30 a month and with cashback and other bits the overall cost over 18 months is £502.:)

I'd never get a contract that was going to cost substantially more than the phone you got free.:LOL:

I love my iphone, but....

No flash support.
No multi tasking.
Rubbish battery life.
No switch on from off for alarm.
No ascending alarm (frightens the life out of you!).
Doesn't ring loud enough to hear it most of the time.

I can live with those faults for the positives though...

eeerm you cant... its 30 quid a month and in anyones language that aint free:)

My daughter bought an iphone on PAYG for 340 quid and she goes on the internet unlimited time/etc for a tenner a month PAYG top up fingy

Just in your example my maths suggests (in very broad terms).

But if you buy a second hand phone for say, £300 and spend £10m over 24mths, you have spend £520

Or pay £30m (free new phone) and pay £720.

Presumably you get more calls, internet time, texts etc with a £30 contract and a brand new phone with warranty?

Graham

sorry for thread jacking

could anyone with an iphone 3gs tell me if you can use your own custom ringtones? as when i had one of the 1st Iphones this couldnt be done, only the iphones standard ringtones were able to be used. i have a Nokia n97 at the minute but i am thinking of going back to the Iphone as i miss all the apps that are available. Also has the ringing volume been improved on it?

Ringtone volume definitely not improved - for ringtones get iphone ringtone maker - simple to use and works 100%.

I can't talk you out of buying one! I'm a gadget nut and usually get boredwith phones within a couple of weeks of having them. I started with the 2G, upgraded to the 3G and am now on the 3GS and I'm still not bored of it by a long shot!

Mine gets used heavily, I've never had a case on it, it's beens dropped a couple of times and still looks mint although the 3GS seems be better wearing than the others...

Get the iPhone and you won't be dissaponited :)

I just get a contract that works out cheaper/ slightly more than the phone sim free. That way I save loads of money usually. :)

For example I got my first contract phone 4 years ago with the k750, the contract was a 12 month £25 one and worked out cheaper than buying the phone sim free. My phone at the moment is the HTC HD which cost £500 when it was released. My contract (with 600mins/texts and internet) is around £30 a month and with cashback and other bits the overall cost over 18 months is £502.:)

I'd never get a contract that was going to cost substantially more than the phone you got free.:LOL:

That sounds pretty good. Obviously I could have bought a cheaper phone, but I got the phone I wanted, a good sim only deal with Vodafone, and I'm not tied to a stupid contract.

Get the iPhone and you won't be dissaponited :)

Had mine a week and I love it. I had spent the previous month looking at every alternative including the N97, but IMO the iphone is still the best phone around.

That sounds pretty good. Obviously I could have bought a cheaper phone, but I got the phone I wanted, a good sim only deal with Vodafone, and I'm not tied to a stupid contract.

I always get the phone I want too, normally top end phones too. :)

The contract can be a bit limiting sometimes (especially the 18 month one I am in at the moment that is just about to finish) but other than that I get the phone and contract I want for the price of the phone. :)

For example when my contract ends in june i'll most likely get either the Desire, HD2 or X10. I'm also not going to pay any more than £500ish for the contract. :LOL:

I got the iPhone 3GS 16GB with Vodafone. The following day I sent it back, like every apple product I have tried, it is just overpriced rubbish. I can't stand iPods, Macs or iPhones. This is, of course, my own personal opinion but I work for a company who are in the wireless mobility sector and deal with all kinds of phones/wireless PDA's etc.

I went for the Nokia N900 and I'm impressed. The operating system is spot on, although sometimes it feels a little like work in progress. But, that can be expected as it is a Debian based Linux OS. The firmware updates download automatically and prompt you to proceed and there's an 'App manager', similiar to that on iTunes but it is built into the phone and downloaded by entering repositories. That, and it's free and also open source :)

gaaaaah. Can't decide. :)

Prime for me is keeping monthly cost low. Just to be sure, if say I went for the Tesco iphone 16GB 3GS contract deal - after shelling out £320 for the unit itself, will it really only cost me £20 per month. I don't make many calls, text a bit but not loads, but will surely use the internet on it a lot, apps etc. So, if I stay within the limits per month, it will cost 20 quid per month, correcto?

You can't! Minimum for a free Iphone 3GS is £45 a month.

Thats about £1k over the two years.

You are quite right about the 3GS. No, I was referring to the 3G. But they still sell second hand for the thick end of £300. I can't see why anyone would really want to buy one.

And with a contract, you are eligible for an upgrade at some point arn't you?

Graham

You are quite right about the 3GS. No, I was referring to the 3G. But they still sell second hand for the thick end of £300. I can't see why anyone would really want to buy one.

And with a contract, you are eligible for an upgrade at some point arn't you?

Graham

Every time it ends you get a free upgrade. I managed to get a JABRA headset, case and 3GS for free when I recently renewed.

G.

Can't say I really understand most of this. My own mobile needs are pretty straightforward. I need a small and light phone that goes in my pocket. That's about it. I do use text, but I never respond to voicemail. (I don't have an answering service on my landline either). My daughter (25, scientist) checked out the iPhone, decided it was a cool "toy", and got a Blackberry instead. I suppose its all just a personal call, like photographic gear. Listen to advice if you like, but get what you want, if you can afford it, and don't let other people's views influence you too much.

gaaaaah. Can't decide. :)
So, if I stay within the limits per month, it will cost 20 quid per month, correcto?

That's my understanding - unlimited web and data for 12 months. It isnt really unlimited as they have a fair usage policy but that shouldnt be a problem for most users.

My daughter wants one - but needs a lot of texts so I am looking at O2 or Vodaphone.

TBH 15 isn't exactly child labour. I was working at part time at 13 (not a paper round) and that was only 10 years ago. You can work full time here at 16!

I use it, always go over my allocated 1,200 minutes....

G.

Maybe but I was offered an Xperia X1 for free (£500 phone so same price sim free as an iPhone) on a £45 a month contract reduced to £30 without any haggling when it first came out. That was on a 18 month contract.:)

iPhones are SOOOO expensive, but who can blame them as people keep paying the ££££'s.

I've got a HTC and the sliding keyboard is fantastic. really easy to use. I also have a Nokia N97 and its keyboard is frustrating. You're always looking for the symbols (e.g. £, _, &, etc)and then you have to go into a menu to find them there.

That said, I'm due an upgrade on my HTC Pro and the HD2 is wnning at the moment, free on Vodafone's £35/month tariff (whereas the iPhone is an extra £149!!)

iPhones are SOOOO expensive, but who can blame them as people keep paying the ££££'s.

I've got a HTC and the sliding keyboard is fantastic. really easy to use. I also have a Nokia N97 and its keyboard is frustrating. You're always looking for the symbols (e.g. £, _, &, etc)and then you have to go into a menu to find them there.

That said, I'm due an upgrade on my HTC Pro and the HD2 is wnning at the moment, free on Vodafone's £35/month tariff (whereas the iPhone is an extra £149!!)

Not thought about the Touch Pro2? If you are after a good keyboard then you'll love it :)

I used the older style HTC and wasnt very impressed (mainly because it ran on Windows Mobile!!)

The Iphone is grea in my opinion, some very handy apps (and some useless ones), decent size screen, decent browser and the email function is spot on

Why do they sell second hand? I guess some people haven't got the credit rating for the for the contract.

I had a 3G which got lost/stolen. Called O2 to put a temp ban on it. They did the full IMEI block thing. Replaced with a 3Gs, as £g is obsolete. 3G subsequently turned up, tried to ask O2 to unblock on a PAYG - No. Offered to return to ins co. No. So basically I have a 16Gb iphone/pod touch, and a replaced 3Gs. Ironically, contract is due for renewal and I can "upgrade" to a 3Gs............. mad!

As for the phone. Works for me.

Can I just mention to all of those of you using the term 'upgrade' that you are getting nothing of the sort.

What you are getting is the offer of another (probably better) phone in exchange for signing up to a new contract.

It's not British Airways, you are not a frequent flyer, and they aren't doing it because they love you.

It's just marketing, and you'll find that if you reject this 'upgrade' you can indeed use your phone without a contract or have a HUGE wodge of cash in return for signing up to another 18 months.

I agree. I think it was worth it a few years ago when you could get 12-month contracts, now its between 18-24, 18 months starting to disappear nowadays, and I guess you have less bargaining power like you did in the past where you could choose to disconnect unless they gave you a better tariff. The 'customer retention' teams have also gotten wise and stubborn. I read somewhere that they get huge bonuses and treats like holidays abroad when they retained customers...

@backstage pass.........

It's just marketing, and you'll find that if you reject this 'upgrade' you can indeed use your phone without a contract or have a HUGE wodge of cash in return for signing up to another 18 months.

..and thats EXACTLY what I intend to do, given that the current replacement phone is identical to the one I can "upgrade" to...... ergo not an "upgrade" but a "like for like"

To OP - go on, you KNOW you want one.............

@backstage pass.........

..and thats EXACTLY what I intend to do, given that the current replacement phone is identical to the one I can "upgrade" to...... ergo not an "upgrade" but a "like for like"

To OP - go on, you KNOW you want one.............

Hee ha - I know I want one :) it's just how much do I really want one. Part of the fun this though isn't it. The agonising should I shouldn't I, researching all the options. The guilt.
Also, I really am torn now between iphone and HTC (Hero or HD2). It's almost like the old Nikon or Canon debate for me!

i had the original HTC Touch about 3 years ago & it was OK
i've had the HTC Touch HD for around 18 months now & its been awesome
bigger/higher resolution screen than the iphone & a GUI that is actually nice to use compared to the older model (y)
faultless operation, no freezing or dropping calls or anything (y)
i'm up for "upgrade" in the next 2 weeks & orange have offered me an iphone 3gs. not sure i really want it to be honest but i don't think orange have the HD2?
one of the guys at work has made the move from iphone to HD2 & he loves it but everyone else is still spanking their monkeys over the iphone :shrug:
i guess they are new to smartphones & they are still in the honeymoon period :LOL:

i suppose for me it will be more about what orange can opffer me on the day i call but its looking like i will become a (semi) reluctant iphone user after all :)

Can I just mention to all of those of you using the term 'upgrade' that you are getting nothing of the sort.

What you are getting is the offer of another (probably better) phone in exchange for signing up to a new contract.

It's not British Airways, you are not a frequent flyer, and they aren't doing it because they love you.

Ok, Ok, point taken, but I'm happy to fork out £35 a month and I feel I get a level of service that reflects this... I feel it is more like a maintainence contract for software where you could say you get all the "upgrades" to the software during that service period.

I'm happy to take a £400-£500 handset for my 18 month commitment worth £680... but only on my terms (currently 600 mins, unlimited data, unlimited texts, free insurance)

Tirpitz what contract term did you get? I got the HD the month after it came out and still have 3-4 months left. :(

I assume you are doing the upgrade 3 months early thing? In which case are they offering you the 3gs free on the same contract? Just wondering as normally you are supposed to get a much better deal if you wait until the complete end of your contract. :)

As for the term upgrade, I assume everyone realised that? However i'm a phone geek and love having the latest and greatest phone and renewing my contract and getting a the best phone on the market free (with the contract costing no more than the phone sim free) is a massive bonus to me. :D Hopefully when I am just at the end of my contract the X10 will be out so I can see if that's the one I want, hopefully on O2...

That's a bit of a misleading headline, reading the story, Apple have checked up on their suppliers to make sure they aren't using child labour and found that some are breaching their policies.

How many other tech companies check/report on things like this?

TBH 15 isn't exactly child labour. I was working at part time at 13 (not a paper round) and that was only 10 years ago. You can work full time here at 16!

It is child labour because they're not 16. These kids aren't working part time after school and at weekends are they, they're working full time instead of going to school.

That's a bit of a misleading headline, reading the story, Apple have checked up on their suppliers to make sure they aren't using child labour and found that some are breaching their policies.

How many other tech companies check/report on things like this?

It's not really misleading is it. Children are making apple products instead of getting an education. You're right though I doubt it is just apple because I suspect that the companies manufacturing apple products are also making electronic good for other brands. This is what happens when manufacturing is farmed out to far east to keep prices low and profits high.

I had a HTC Hero running Android - loved it but I was on TMobile and the 3G was poor. So, I decided to go to Orange with an Iphone. Great 3G coverage but the iPhone isn't as nice to use as the Android phone. The new Android HD phones are a lot quicker - kind of wish I'd stayed with it now.

However, got my 16Gb 3GS iphone on a 24 month £35 a month contract and paid £30 for it. It's £90 but if you go through Quidco you get £60 cash back.

The only reason not to get an iPhone is that it is slightly more expensive than the competitiors, although I got mine free on a cheaper contract than I was on before as I used my old phone a lot.

Back