Cool dude!

jolsterj

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
2592616543_666ebc6833.jpg

Looks like a toy... if thats the effect you where going for then well done :)

I like the different angle on this, for me the composition works and the handlebars frame the shot nicely.
Lovely colours, really bright and zingy(y)

Cracking colours, super angle! Most importantly, he does look very cool!

Good shot!

I think this is very nice. A classic example of a thread getting lost, rather than ignored.

Gary.

It almost works for me, on camera flash has so many down sides and this illustrates one of them.

Any object that is closer, gets too much exposure and becomes the main character ie, the baddie.

The handle bars etc are the most prominent in the frame and hence overwhelming.

IMO, it would have been more successful if the only element that flash had picked out was your lad's face.
Personally, I find the composition is a little off too, It's an interesting angle but I'd like to see a little more context, more of your lad and less handle bar in my face.

Just my tuppence worth (y)

Last edited:
It almost works for me, on camera flash has so many down sides and this illustrates one of them. Any object that is closer, gets much exposure and becomes the main character ie, the baddie.

The handle bars etc are the most prominent in the frame and hence overwhelming.

IMO, it would have been more successful if the only element that flash had picked out was your lad's face.
Personally, I find the composition is a little off too, It's an interesting angle but I'd like to see a little more context, more of your lad and less handle bar in my face.

Just my tuppence worth (y)

I'm taking notes here :D

Tomas Whitehouse, the kind of Flash! :)

Gary.

I'm taking notes here :D

Tomas Whitehouse, the kind of Flash! :)

Gary.

:LOL: I swear, one of these days I'm visiting you and forcing you to have a go! :LOL:

In addition Jo, in circumstances where using the on board is the only option, it's possible, although far from ideal, to cup your hand around the flash, to 'carve' out the spill to areas you don't want lit. (y)

Last edited:
Handlebars slightly over powering, but lovely capture and colours great stuff

It's a great shot - underexposing for the sky a stop or two would have made it outstanding...

1st impression - 'Wow, nice'

Crit then - not much to be honest. Colours a little too strong - particularly the blue on the handlebars.

Main comment I have and which would have improved the photo loads from my point of view is this - I would have liked to see some sky between the boy's face and his arm. If you'd have moved a few inches to the right it would have been lots better.

Nice shot though.

One bonus is that I can't make out your reflection in the lads glasses! That pinprick of light in his shades is your flash I guess but that's all I can make out.

Cool looking dude... nice memory box shot!

it's a nice shot - I would have liked to see if a little wider (not so close up). Flash off camera maybe higher might have solved the handlebar 'problem'.

This photo is pretty cool, I really like the strong colours and the use of flash is very effective. But, as mentioned above, I think the positioning of the boy's head detracts from the quality of the image. I think there needs to be some space between the arm and the head, then the image is complete! I'm undecided as to whether I like the prominence of the handlebars...:thinking:

So is it just me? I wasnt trying to be horrible with my first comment.It was an honest assesment.. the boy looks plastic to me. Am i really on my own? Sorry but thats how it looks here.

So is it just me? I wasnt trying to be horrible with my first comment.It was an honest assesment.. the boy looks plastic to me. Am i really on my own? Sorry but thats how it looks here.

Looks like a toy... if thats the effect you where going for then well done :)

Not a very helpful comment though is it?

Basically it's a 'Nah, that's crap' kinda comment with a bit of smarm on the end.

Just a dig really masquerading under 'I'm only being honest' line.

Sorry buy that's how it looks.

How about including a few pointers as to how it could be better?

Last edited:
I like this, the fingers on the brake lever are a nice touch and make it look more natural. A good, vibrant and summery photo (y)

Not a very helpful comment though is it?

Basically it's a 'Nah, that's crap' kinda comment with a bit of smarm on the end.

Sorry buy that's how it looks.

How about including a few pointers as to how it could be better?

But I have no idea how it could be done better.. Do we need to know that before we can comment on a picture? I really believe it makes the boy look plastic so i said that. I offered a smile so the OP would know I wasnt trying to be nasty or anything.. Its how it looked.. comments where asked for and to be honest there wasnt any real way of buttering it up

I didnt say or try to infer it was crap as YOU put it .. as for the smarm at the end.. sorry YOU see it like that.. certainly not as it was meant.. as for not a helpful comment.. well great it wasnt meant to be helpful.. was the poster who said great picture helpful ? or is that somehow diferent?

But i guess if you try hard enough you can find fault wiht anything i write eh? :)

Last edited:
But i guess if you try hard enough you can find fault wiht anything i write eh? :)

Look,

I have absolutely nothing against you at KIPAX, this is only the second time I have made on comment on your opinion which is seemingly disagreeable to you.
Your blowing it quite out of proportion.

I'm not 'trying' to find any faults here, no matter how much you argue. Your comment was useless.

If you really doubted how genuine it was then why post a second time protesting innocence?

It's easily considered in the way I have outlined above.

It takes no 'trying' at all.

Last edited:
If you really doubted how genuine it was then why post a second time protesting innocence?

I dont doubt how genuine it is.. never have..I merely commented on the way it looks to me .. I posted a second time for exactly the reason I outlined in my post.

Sorry you dont like my opinion but the OP seems to have taken it in the spirit it was posted. In fact there only seems to be YOU with a problem about my post :( it was an honest opinion.. an opinion I still have thanks :)

So how much use is "great picture" ?

Geez, your acting like a child.

Why does it have to be either

'Nope, he looks like a toy. well done blah blah'

or

'Great nice picture'?

I have a problem with your attitude in this thread. It sucks, sort yourself out.

Geez, your acting like a child.

well thanks for the personal insult.. I wanted to know how great picture is helpful but anything else without a full explanation isnt.

Why does it have to be either

I dont think it has to be.. your the one complaining that my comment wasnt helpful

I have a problem with your attitude in this thread. It sucks, sort yourself out.

sigh.. your right.. you do have a problem with my attitude dont you... strange..

Nice punchy colours and lovely blue sky

Mike

well thanks for the personal insult..

Don't mention it, you deserved it.

I wanted to know how great picture is helpful but anything else without a full explanation isnt.

I say again, why are you choosing between those two options only?
Why are you limiting it? It's one extreme to another, why?

Constructive criticism Kipax, it's up to you how you offer it, both your ultimatums (plastic boy & great picture) offer none of it. Your words and your choices.

I dont think it has to be....

Erm :thinking: So which is it? Hence why I said your acting childish, you're not making any sense, it's just like a tantrum.

sigh.. your right.. you do have a problem with my attitude dont you... strange..

How about explaining why you think this is strange?
I'm all ears, don't hold back now, say what you think. :|

Is it really that difficult for you to realize that your contributing nothing here? Your post has no value, you then ask why, I answered, you throw a tantrum and claim it's in the name of honesty.

Honest criticism is vital but how on earth can anything be gained or learned by your comment in your first post of this thread? :shrug:

With all the talk of getting things back on track here at TP, minimizing useless and negative remarks and the effort that some members are putting in with it, I'd say this is a pretty worthy point to raise.

Last edited:
I am starting to wish I hadn't even made a comment now ..

lets just say its all my fault and move on eh? :)

Now, now children, c'mon, eh? Gary started his crit thread with the best of intentions, and it's really working... let's not spoil it.

Can we just beg to differ and drop it perhaps?

Last edited:
Now, now children, c'mon, eh? Garry started his crit thread with the best of intentions, and it's really working... let's not spoil it.

Can we just beg to differ and drop it perhaps?

I'm sure you mean that with the best of intentions but butting in like that and calling the 'Now now children' thing doesn't help.

If you read the posts again, you'll see that's exactly what I'm trying to illustrate and defend. :bang:

<<<<< *Not saying another word on it*

Couldn't resist... just thought it would really suit this... a bit quick and dirty, but you get the idea - sure it would appeal to kids (says he hoping not to get slated on here for it). :D

Easy to see I've got too much time on my hands at the moment!

Will remove if you want; no problem!

b82ss2.jpg

Couldn't resist... just thought it would really suit this... a bit quick and dirty, but you get the idea - sure it would appeal to kids (says he hoping not to get slated on here for it). :D

Easy to see I've got too much time on my hands at the moment!

Will remove if you want; no problem!

I like that (y)

Back