Couple of tilt-shift photos

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these on a recent trip to Dover. In camera processed using the TOY setting (Fuji X20)

tilt1.jpg

Tilt%202.jpg

just goes to show how you can take a dull image of a lorry and make it very effective image.
Really like that and it's clearly a capable setting on the camera (y)

That's quite a funky effect, I've got to admit I've not seen that before. I like it!

Its not tilt shift.

When cameras fake it (or its faked in post) its simply faked selective de-focus :)

Last edited:
Great effect, I would have believed you if you told me they were models (y)

By blurring the top and bottom parts of the images it creates an illusion that there is a very shallow depth of field - just what you would expect if you were shooting images of something very close up. Clever.

Its not tilt shift.

When cameras fake it (or its faked in post) its simply faked selective de-focus :)
Let's be clear about what is fake and what is real. This is real selective image blurring which is faking, or if you like, simulating, the selective defocus which a tilted lens could produce -- because tilting a lens tilts the plane of focus. If you tilt the focus plane to align it with a receding ground plane you can increase the apparent depth of focus. If you tilt the focus plane further away from the angle of the ground plane you can reduce the apparent depth of focus.

Let's be clear about what is fake and what is real. This is real selective image blurring which is faking, or if you like, simulating, the selective defocus which a tilted lens could produce -- because tilting a lens tilts the plane of focus. If you tilt the focus plane to align it with a receding ground plane you can increase the apparent depth of focus. If you tilt the focus plane further away from the angle of the ground plane you can reduce the apparent depth of focus.
Yes, the defocus is faked too with in camera tilt shift effect. It's blurred via software, not by the lens focus. You say it's "real selective image blurring which is faking, or if you like, simulating" which.... Is faked!

It's all faked.

Last edited:
Yes, the defocus is faked too with in camera tilt shift effect. It's blurred via software, not by the lens focus. You say it's "real selective image blurring which is faking, or if you like, simulating" which.... Is faked!

It's all faked.

Does it matter ?

It's a photo effect enjoy it (or not)

No, its not tilt shift thats all I was saying! The effect is slightly different when using a tilt shift lens as you'd expect. I like the effect personally (though I don't use it often as I shoot raw mostly but my RX100 does have this filter and uses it to good effect) I just think calling processed tilt shift effects simply "tilt shift" cheapens (if thats the right word) the genuine efforts and techniques used to acheive the real thing, especially as the thread is titled just that - I went in thinking it was real tilt shift which would have been more interesting for me as you don't see it very often here, but thats just me. I didn't mean the point to be dragged out, but thats the nature of discussions as a whole, and its to be expected on a discussion forum it? :)

Last edited:
Really like the second, reminds me of the pictures you used to get advertising toy sets.

No worries - I'll change the title to "Partial blurred in the tilt-shift effect but not actually tilt shift style photos" ;):p
Or how about 'Couple of tilt-shift effect photos.' There see it wasn't that hard now was it ;)

Personally, I like the effect and think its very effective

I've tried this before with the"lens baby" when shooting scientific abstracts to try and funk up some rather dull subject matter, I liked a few of them but it was a bit too "far out" for the client. Good job IU shot plenty of stock stuff too!

Back