Cricket 300mm + x2TC = 600mm

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I am posting these not so much as hey look at my cricket pics... No .. more of a look at the lens combination in case anyone is considering using a x2 converter.. There have been discussions and even i said a x2 was poor when i tried one.. but I guess i didnt give it enough of a go.. I am pleased with the combination..

So am posting to show the following combination works :)
canon 1dmkIV + Canon 300 2.8 + canon x2TC

600mm_1.jpg

600mm_2.jpg

600mm_3.jpg

600mm_4.jpg

600mm_5.jpg

600mm_6.jpg

I am posting these not so much as hey look at my cricket pics...

Completely ignoring you, I love 2, the timing is amazing. You couldn't ask for better composition of the bails and the stumps.

Going back to the point of your thread, this almost tempts me into trying a x2 at the weekend, was planning on using a 1.4 (on a 300 2.8) but maybe I should go back and try again as well, so thanks, you've given me more options!

Hi,

excellent.

The 1.4 and 2x Tc's were supposedly designed using the 300mm F2.8 IS and as can be seen here brilliant with that combo.

Mike.

Number two... brilliant.

Excellent shots here. I'm liking #5 and #1.

My question is, how much cropping are you doing? Want to buy a prime looking at the 300mm or 400mm, obviously this is a massive cost so I can only get one. Cricket and rugby are going to be my main sports, so is 300mm with converters long enough? or is the 400mm the safer bet?

What's you're opinion????

helen...Depends on where you are shooting.. cricket grounds come in all shapes and sizes... On Sunday i was shooting from the boundry down the side of a ground and at 300mm ..anything longer was too long.. Yet in the same league some I need 600mm and still crop..

Sorry its not such a simple answer... Your talking distance from your lens to the wicket and thats going to vary by mass amounts depending on the ground and your position.. Another factor is crop body or not as that makes a big difference as well..

On an average i would say around 400 is good but more than likely want a 1.4 on that...

Excellent shots here. I'm liking #5 and #1.

My question is, how much cropping are you doing? Want to buy a prime looking at the 300mm or 400mm, obviously this is a massive cost so I can only get one. Cricket and rugby are going to be my main sports, so is 300mm with converters long enough? or is the 400mm the safer bet?

What's you're opinion????

Bear in mind the extra crop factor of your 50d, 1.6x as opposed to Kipax 1.3x

The 2x looks good :)

I use a 400mm 2.8 with a 1.4 on a 1.3 body and still have to crop more than I would like but it does get the job done.

if anyone needs to see a cricket shot straight out the box with the +2 on just let me know :)

I knew it was a bit of a stupid question. I was hoping for the simple answer, but in my heart, I know there isn't one :) I would like to see a none cropped one if you don't mind.

Helen - I'd get the 400mm. Presumably you have a 70-200 already so it's a relatively easy 280mm with a 1.4 on it if you need something shorter than 400. I want a 400 myself, but they are a tad pricey!! Currently I'm using my 300 with a 1.4 giving a 420 f4 which is pretty darned crisp, and OK at high ISOs on the 1DIV, but I'd love a 400 instead.

Tobers you sound just like me... I am on exact same setup.. mk3 and mk4 a 300 and 1.4 but now added the x2 for cricket and as ya can see.. seems to work :)

Helen - I'd get the 400mm. Presumably you have a 70-200 already so it's a relatively easy 280mm with a 1.4 on it if you need something shorter than 400. I want a 400 myself, but they are a tad pricey!! Currently I'm using my 300 with a 1.4 giving a 420 f4 which is pretty darned crisp, and OK at high ISOs on the 1DIV, but I'd love a 400 instead.

you can always hire my old one from Stewart and have a play :naughty:

Have to say i loved both the 300 and 400 from Canon but if i could only have chosen one it would have been the 400. Its tricky though with the current prices,

I was lucky to get my 400 before the big price rises, if i had to buy a 400 new now i dont know if i could justify 6.5k :eek:

Funnily enough I sold my 300 last year as I was doing so much footie with the 400 I just didnt use it all! This year I've done less matches as I've been building up my event work and could now do with the 300 instead!

I guess you can never win but thinking of selling the 400 to buy a 300 which will handle everything inc my events and footie although I dont think I'll do many games next season.

What aperture were you using ?, I've found if you stop down an aperture or two, the results are pretty good (on my 120-300 F2.8)

What aperture were you using ?, I've found if you stop down an aperture or two, the results are pretty good (on my 120-300 F2.8)

me? f8 ..absoloutly sweet at f8 for 300 and x2

Funnily enough I sold my 300 last year as I was doing so much footie with the 400 I just didnt use it all! This year I've done less matches as I've been building up my event work and could now do with the 300 instead!

i ahd a 400 but couldnt afford to keep both and decided the 300 would get more use...

I ahve since decided to cut back on the type of stuff i was using the 300 for...
Now I am wondering.......if you decide then talk to me.. we may do a deal 300 + cash... but mine produces such real nice colours and sharpness that i would need to double triple test a 400 to make sure i can get same quality..

i like what my 300 produces it might break my heart to part wiht it hehe :)

i ahd a 400 but couldnt afford to keep both and decided the 300 would get more use...

I ahve since decided to cut back on the type of stuff i was using the 300 for...
Now I am wondering.......if you decide then talk to me.. we may do a deal 300 + cash... but mine produces such real nice colours and sharpness that i would need to double triple test a 400 to make sure i can get same quality..

What are you like :LOL: i think you have the record for buying/selling the 400 :p

My local camera shop just sold mk1 400f2.8 for £2200! It had been back to Canon for cleaning and service and they did give 6month warranty with it.
Could be interested in a p/x deal depending on your 300 condition matches my 400. (y)

My local camera shop just sold mk1 400f2.8 for £2200! It had been back to Canon for cleaning and service and they did give 6month warranty with it.
Could be interested in a p/x deal depending on your 300 condition matches my 400. (y)

why upset me like that with the cheap 400 :(

my 300 is in good nick and you ahve seen the quality of pics it takes:) theers a couple of screws missing on the lens hood i keep meaning to replace... just fell out... missed them coming unscrewed.. otherwise not batererd.. not covered in tape

There's no way I could buy brand new...... I hired a 400 for the England Women's match and it was awesome... I just need to work on my upper body strength.

Damn you lot for making me spend money ;-)

Tobers, yeah, I have a 70-200. Just looking for the right prime to complete me :)

Right, where are all the used equipment shops, I need a local dealer. :)

There's no way I could buy brand new...... I hired a 400 for the England Women's match and it was awesome... I just need to work on my upper body strength.

Damn you lot for making me spend money ;-)

Tobers, yeah, I have a 70-200. Just looking for the right prime to complete me :)

Right, where are all the used equipment shops, I need a local dealer. :)

If only I was going to follow through on the Canon to Nikon switch...I'd have sold you my 400.

Unless I can find good condition and good price Nikon gear, I can't afford the changeover.

If I do find stuff...I'll definitely keep you (and/or Tony) in mind (sorry to the mods if I've overstepped the mark).

James, have a word with Andy he got a great deal from the nikon rep considering the gear he got :D. Graham.

theers a couple of screws missing on the lens hood i keep meaning to replace... just fell out... missed them coming unscrewed.. otherwise not batererd.. not covered in tape

Mine is..... well showing signs of wear cosmetically and some previous owner has has taken a nibble out of the lens hood but still sharp. Thought about sending to Canon for a clean and service but would only have to add cost to price. I suppose it would also have a 6 month warranty then :clap:

Mine is..... well showing signs of wear cosmetically and some previous owner has has taken a nibble out of the lens hood but still sharp. Thought about sending to Canon for a clean and service but would only have to add cost to price. I suppose it would also have a 6 month warranty then :clap:

apart from the screws.. mine would pretty much pass as almost new

what value do you put on the 400 and is it the IS?

James, have a word with Andy he got a great deal from the nikon rep considering the gear he got :D. Graham.

I'd point out that the only way i was able to afford the deal was by selling my Canon glass privately, otherwise there's no way i would have been able to afford it

Nope not IS and value about £2k comes with soft lens hood cover and alloy carry case.

arrrgh the heavy one :( sorry then.. presumed otherwise..

although if you send me a pic of the lens and a pic staright out the box i may be interested in staright buy but certainly not gonna get rid of the 300 for it.. if you see what I mean :)

Some great captures there, that second one is really a moment captured. You're making me lust after a 300 prime even more than I already was. Would love a 400, or even a 500 but I think that a 300 to a couple of TC's are probably a lot more versatile.

Interesting you were shooting 600mm... I did a couple of games last weekend and it was hard to frame it up at 420mm (to get more than one player in) at the first game and the second one was even more odd with both 420mm and 500mm being awkward.

I reckon a long zoom must be the tool for this job - the Nikon 200-400 probably is perfect.

thats what i was referring too 'the f8 comment'

im getting a 2xtc and a 300mm f4 tomorrow, and also aim on using it at f8 for optimal IQ, so hopefully this should AF too.. :D

On prosumer bodies the maximum aperture for AF is f5.6, on the 1D/s series you can go up to f8 and still retain AF.

If you have a 1D/s you can get AF with a 300L f4 plus a 2x extender.

Back