Cricket 300mm + x2TC = 600mm

But as can be seen from the thread I was shooting at f8 and yes it does... AF at any settings AFAIK

thats what i was referring too 'the f8 comment'

im getting a 2xtc and a 300mm f4 tomorrow, and also aim on using it at f8 for optimal IQ, so hopefully this should AF too.. :D

Yes, because it focuses at f5.6 and then closes down the aperture.

The 300 f4 and 2x extender won't autofocus at all on anything other than a 1D because it'll be wide open at f8!

I am dissapointed wide open using my combination and it does seem to be a general concencus that you should change by a stop to get the best.. f8 is a peach for me.. absoloutly spot on...you would need to be a stop above that and i cant see it working..

oh well i can use it with other lenses, and i'll have to get a 1.4tc too..

cracking pics of the cricketers by the way,,, really crisp!! (y)

It is only the maximum aperture that matters, not the aperture that you have set!

Looks like its done a good job there, not used my 2X on the 300 since I got my 500.

Just got a 400 myself and it loks like the x2 wil be redundant now.. but keeping it just in case :)

the canon 400 is a heavy beast for sure, i certainly couldn't handhold it and i'm a big biffa :LOL:

I found it unbalanced and weighted more towards the front. The 400 does work reasonably well with the 2xTC (from memory) but obviously not as good as the 1.4

Just got a 400 myself and it loks like the x2 wil be redundant now.. but keeping it just in case :)

I found I wasn't using the 2x when I got the 400...just didn't have any reason to use 800mm. Maybe if I'd been doing some motorsport, then I'd have had a reason to keep it.

I sold it to get myself £200 to put towards the next purchase.

I must admit, I've never found myself thinking I'd need it!

My mum always used to say..
"Better to have and not need... Than to need and not have.."

I might try nature shooting one day ..:)

Back