Critic for new website

Name
Frederic
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone..

After many sleepless night i finally managed to get my site up and running...

I will be really grateful if anybody here could give me some constructive criticisms to help me improve it.

The company logo has also be redesigned, so comment on that would be appreciate as well.

Please be honest.

Thank you all in advance.

Fred

www.blossom-photography.co.uk

Some of the images are taking too long to load

as above re loading times:

Usual SEO things - page titles, image titles, keyword rich text. Who's looking for you and what search terms will they use? Does that relate to anything on your site? You don't have to look - the answer is 'No'.

Usual website things - where's the 'buy me now' button, what's there to suck users in and to encourage them to get in touch?

I like the logo.

umm so i need to reduce the size/quality of the frontage images to make them load faster.
That's a bit strange as they load fast on my little mobile phone.

As any of you tested it on Ipad?

as above re loading times:

Usual SEO things - page titles, image titles, keyword rich text. Who's looking for you and what search terms will they use? Does that relate to anything on your site? You don't have to look - the answer is 'No'.

Usual website things - where's the 'buy me now' button, what's there to suck users in and to encourage them to get in touch?

I like the logo.

Thank for the hints.. still working on the site so do take any advise i can get. Having a slideshow front page what would you suggest me doing as a 'buy me now' ?

Last edited:
umm so i need to reduce the size/quality of the frontage images to make them load faster.
That's a bit strange as they load fast on my little mobile phone.

As any of you tested it on Ipad?

Chances are the images are cached on your phone, as you have probably visited the site on it before.

I have just tried on iPad, looks fine except the images don't load quick enough, and the slideshow moves to the next image before the previous image has loaded...

I found the the following Google tool , it showed me where my site was slow and I was able to get a significant increase with a few straightforward changes.

I found the the following Google tool , it showed me where my site was slow and I was able to get a significant increase with a few straightforward changes.

Wow cool tools, this will probably save me:)

Chances are the images are cached on your phone, as you have probably visited the site on it before.

I have just tried on iPad, looks fine except the images don't load quick enough, and the slideshow moves to the next image before the previous image has loaded...

Thank you for the feedback.
I seem to have a browser compatibility issue here :( I noticed the same issue on Opera.

I'm working on fixing that

It took an extremely long time to load. I would look at getting different hosting - it was far far too long and will cause a lot of people to not use your website.

Once the page loads, I think the website is pretty good.

I like the font you use. I like the design of the website with the image in the background.

I like that the menu is well laid out nice and big.

You can do a bit more with Page titles to make them a bit more descriptive about what you do. I think you should mention the towns and areas that you service in your titles and in your services section website text so you have a chance of showing up in Google for local searches.

The upcoming events section on the blog doesn't appear to be working correctly: http://awesomescreenshot.com/08a1fxqu85

Overall, great work

It took an extremely long time to load. I would look at getting different hosting - it was far far too long and will cause a lot of people to not use your website.

Once the page loads, I think the website is pretty good.

I like the font you use. I like the design of the website with the image in the background.

I like that the menu is well laid out nice and big.

You can do a bit more with Page titles to make them a bit more descriptive about what you do. I think you should mention the towns and areas that you service in your titles and in your services section website text so you have a chance of showing up in Google for local searches.

The upcoming events section on the blog doesn't appear to be working correctly: http://awesomescreenshot.com/08a1fxqu85

Overall, great work

Wow, thank you Luke for taking so much time to
1 looking at the website
2 to write down all the good and bad points :)

Its very much appreciated :D

I hope I'm not repeating any other comments - I've had a quick look through them. I am interested in this as I am in the process of creating my own website - Nothing to show of it yet, but I'm getting there. :)

I have a few comments if that's ok...

1) This is a bit trivial but the white for the word "Photography" on your logo looks too white/bright to me. I would personally make it a light blue so it merges in more with the colour of "Blossom".

2) As others have said, it's all taking a long time to load. I didn't see any photo until I had been on the site for about 20 seconds, and I have a very fast fibre connection. Sometimes the photos were fading out before they were completely loaded. I can see from the way they load that they are huge files.

3) Connected to point 2 - I think you might be better off having the site in a container in the centre. I have got mine as a block in the middle of 950 pixels, and then the top and bottom (containing credits and my log, etc.) are separate from the centre container where the photos go. That means that people with a wide or large monitor have something to look at on the far left and right (the logo is set to always be left, and menus always on the right), but the images in the centre will be centralised on any display, and then the whole photo will be seen on the majority of devices (even the better phones). So in the case of your site, you would have the images in the centre, then the logo always far left and links always far right (no matter the size of the browser), the facebook etc. links always far right, and the copyright always far left. I've spent a lot of time when designing my site sizing my browser window from widest to narrow to see how it all moves, so I know how it'll look to others.

I like the rest though, the links work well and look good, and the flashy logo is quite nice.

Back