Current Next-gen consoles - are they ready yet?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a PS3 (but have had a 360 too) and have been holding off upgrading to a current next-gen console - PS4 or Xbox One?

Where would I find info on future releases and exclusives for either one?

Now they've been out six months or so how have you found the whole experience?

What about backwards compatibility - could I play my GTA V on the PS4 for example?

Neither have enough going for them yet. The new killzone and titans all are excellent, but are both available on current gen.

No real media capabilities, so can't use them as a media player like you can with the PS3.

Most games don't hit 1080p on either console yet.

It is not going to be the big upgrade you are hoping for.

I listen to the midlife gamer podcast and neither of them are hugely impressed. One spends 80% of his gaming time on his PC even though he has the PS4 and Xbox One.

PS4 is currently wiping the floor with the Xbox, but they both have a long way to go.

No backwards compatibility. Sony say they will have the ability at some point to stream PS3 games to the PS4

I thought the ps4 Was backwards compatible??

Their was a big sony advert about it and mocking the fact XBOX wasn't.?

EDIT

I was wrong, their not by the sounds of it, :oops: :$

Last edited:
Dale is right it's too early to upgrade yet
My missus is a hardcore gamer and got the xbox one at launch but she spends most of the time on the 360, there's not enough games out yet on the new xbox
I'm still playing on the 360 and will be for a good while yet:)

Interesting - thanks. Might have to save my pennies for a while yet then.

Really like the look of Watch Dogs and have seen comparisons between PS4 and PS3 - looks much more detailed on the newer console obviously.

I was given a ps4 for my last birthday. I've been disappointed TBH. Not with the console but the breadth of games isn't there yet. Maybe in a year

Dale is right it's too early to upgrade yet
My missus is a hardcore gamer and got the xbox one at launch but she spends most of the time on the 360, there's not enough games out yet on the new xbox
I'm still playing on the 360 and will be for a good while yet:)

Yep im exactly the same - had my XBox One since last December and still play the 360 more as there's still not enough quality titles on either PS4/XBox One...

Hopefully E3 next week will reveal some upcoming gems so I can finally start to appreciate the XBox One some more :D

I don't get this why would people want to buy a standalone crippled device when you could plug in a fully featured mac mini or win equivalent to your HD TV and have all the games and accessories you may every want with full compatibility

Convenience. Running a PC takes some knowledge and time that consoles don't.

I'm trying out the Steam game streaming at the most for when I want to slouch. Oculus VR DK2 on order too :) Can't wait to plug it into Elite.

Convenience. Running a PC takes some knowledge and time that consoles don't.

I'm trying out the Steam game streaming at the most for when I want to slouch. Oculus VR DK2 on order too :) Can't wait to plug it into Elite.

It may be just me, but I find console navigation like a foreign language :LOL: I think PC would be a lot cheaper over time as it doesn't require games to be repurchased and can access a lot more media for watching.

Perhaps another interesting idea is connecting tablets to TV. I would be money they will totally kill consoles in a few years.

It's what you're used to at the end of the day..

With consoles there's no messing about with meeting minimum specs, versions of direct x, flash, graphics drivers etc.. Nice and simple on a console just to put a disc in wait a few seconds and then just start playing..

And I'm not an anti PC person either - I've used pcs since the early 90s for both gaming and techie stuff.. Some styles of games like Minecraft, Dayz, Football Manager to name a few I will always prefer on PC (y)

It's what you'reused to at the end of the day..

With consoles there's no messing about with meeting minimum specs, versions of direct x, flash, graphics drivers etc.. Nice and simple on a console just to put a disc in wait a few seconds and then just start playing..

And I'm not an anti PC person either - I've used pcs since the early 90s for both gaming and techie stuff.. Some styles of games like Minecraft, Dayz, Football Manager to name a few I will always prefer on PC (y)

Yes its much more convenient
Just have to put the disc in and play
I have tried steam on pc it was excellent but i did have to mess about to get the controller set up right, that may have just been that particular game tho (FF 7)

Last edited:
In this world of convergence, sometimes it is nice to have a box that is designed to do one thing and do it well. A console is intended to play games as a primary action with none of the graphics driver issues associated with PC gaming and hopefully no BSODs. I know that I can turn it on, load a disc and play with a game optimised for my flavour of console and it should run well with no speed issues like you may encounter on some gaming rigs.

Having said that, I also use my console as a Blu-ray player :) unfortunately a Mac mini won't do that.

I don't get this why would people want to buy a standalone crippled device when you could plug in a fully featured mac mini or win equivalent to your HD TV and have all the games and accessories you may every want with full compatibility

I don't get why some people can't understand the allure of having a simple box that plugs in and a disk inserted to play games (which incidentally can't all be played on PC and even less on a Mac), over faffing with a PC/Mac. My PS4 plays games, bluray, and Netflix. I have a HTPC right next to it for the rest of my media stuff. I could easily pop a decent graphics card in and play some games on it but frankly its just easier to turn the PS4 on. It just works.

As for connecting tablets to TVs, you can do that now. The issue is the only games on tablets for the moest part are touch based stuff, and people buying consoles want Call of Duty, Fifa, Uncharted, Halo type games which all have multimillion pound budgets. Something no tablet game gets because there are thousands of games and the marketplace is a mess.

I have my PC for any other games that I need to use a Kb & Mouse for (RTS etc).

I always used to play games on a pc years ago. Doom, Duke Nukem, elite, dungeon master :). It took me ages to get used to the controller of the xbox/xbox360/PS3 after years of mouse and keyboard combination. Now I would never consider playing games on a PC again. The convenience of switching on and playing while relaxing back on my sofa with a machine that will play the game at its top spec with no worries of graphic card/memory/cpu upgrade is perfect for me. Ive had my xbox 360 now for nearly nine years and it will run any new game released today I like that kind of certainty in my old age :)

Back to topic anyway....answer is no, at the moment. Wait for the first major price drop when a few more good titles are out.

The Last Of Us remastered release in July might make me jump ship to PS4....

It's £350 for both. Neither will get a price cut now until probably March time. The Xbox just got one because they finally removed Kinect. Sony can't make them fast enough right now so won't cut price until they start to slow.

Xbox one was advertised as a home media centre, it's only just had an update to support external hdd to be connected!! It's the biggest waste of money I have spent, not enough games released, and it's very slow n buggy I think!

I still don't understand the need for updates for the controller either! Also you buy a game then have download half of it even though you've bought the game disc!

Xbox one forsale £300 haha!! Mint cond just dusty!

Xbox one was advertised as a home media centre, it's only just had an update to support external hdd to be connected!! It's the biggest waste of money I have spent, not enough games released, and it's very slow n buggy I think!

I still don't understand the need for updates for the controller either! Also you buy a game then have download half of it even though you've bought the game disc!

Xbox one forsale £300 haha!! Mint cond just dusty!

Complaining about updates? You've never used a PS3 have you? Updates whenever you turn the bloody thing on.

Game library shouldn't be a surprise, you can see the catalog before you buy.

Both the Xbox and PS4 aren't media centers in the consumer friendly Plex/XBMC mould, they are media centres in the revenue lock-in media company Netflix/streaming mould. I.e. crap.

Have to say i'm really surprised at the lack of media capabilities. I thought it would be the obvious direction these boxes would go to geth themselves into most living rooms....
From what ive heard the ps4 wont even play an audio cd - now that is crippling hardware for the sake of it.

Just found that the xbox one won't play home movies, ie videos that I've made on DSLR or camcorder
I put in a disc and it wouldn't play
Thats very frustrating there is no technical reason why not but Microsoft decided to lock it out
So it's not a home entertainment system at all as I will still have to have a separate blue ray player anyway

Not yet. Friend has PS4 and he is far from blown away.

The Last of Us Remastered is now out, GTA V is coming, Watch Dogs is out, Destiny is coming.

Is it time to buy one yet?
No!

Wait another year until its been tweaked and better value for money. I would say I am a serious 'hard core' gamer (xbox) I have played with the same group of people for that last 4 to 5 years. A few have bought the xb1 but now have returned to the 360. Mainly because of lack of games choice and unable to talk to your buddies. I will buy it eventually when my console packs up, but not for at least another year. For me I just want a games console, and nothing else, not bothered for kinect ( I have one that's collecting dust) I do think the xb1 is way over priced, needs to come down at least 100 quid. Then there's the question of games that won't play on the xb1 ( I must have at least 50 games, which are not cheap, what do I do with them?

Couldn't bring myself to spend £350 on a PS4, so spent £31.99 on Watchdogs for my PS3.

So glad I didn't get the new console - I've only been playing watchdogs for about 2 hours and am bored already.

Not sure I even like gaming anymore - and my PS3 works perfectly fine for Blu-rays, Netflix, YouTube etc

Last edited:
Couldn't bring myself to spend £350 on a PS4, so spent £31.99 on Watchdogs for my PS3.

So glad I didn't get the new console - I've only been playing watchdogs for about 2 hours and am bored already.

Not sure I even like gaming anymore - and my PS3 works perfectly fine for Blu-rays, Netflix, YouTube etc
I always fall out of love with it in the summer, but then all the new games come out and I love it again for another year. I'm waiting for
Destiny
Another COD game - said I never would but hey ho....

I always said that I wouldn't get the xbox one but have just got one to play coop with the missus who is a hardcore gamer and got the xbox one at launch
Have been playing the destiny beta which was amazing, the missus and I were playing coop can't wait till it comes out in September
At the moment I'm playing wolfenstien on the xbox one it's a fantastic game best I've played for a long time

I always said that I wouldn't get the xbox one but have just got one to play coop with the missus who is a hardcore gamer and got the xbox one at launch
Have been playing the destiny beta which was amazing, the missus and I were playing coop can't wait till it comes out in September
At the moment I'm playing wolfenstien on the xbox one it's a fantastic game best I've played for a long time

Wolfenstien - great game but the ending was far too tough. Took me about 4 days lol! Nearly smashed the tv!

I'm going to get an Xbox One, but not for games - it's an incredibly convenient way of getting things like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and so on onto your telly. It's recently been announced that the XB1 is compatible with the Virgin cable telly service, so I'll be able to use an EPG that isn't utter dung. And I'll be able to shout at it.

(My Xbox 360 has just one game - Forza 4. I wouldn't be surprised if I only get Forza 5 for the XB1)

I've currently got a Virgin Tivo, and it's unfeasibly slow (400MHz processor, 256MB RAM. And VM thought it'd be a canny idea to reimplement the user interface in Flash? Genius, folks. Sheer genius.) and the telly guide is arse, the navigation is arse, and the remote has far too many buttons, all in the wrong place. If it didn't record things, it'd be in the bin by now.

I have no intentions of buying a so called "next gen" console anytime soon.
I am happy with my 360 for gaming and also for streaming content from my PC to the TV at the touch of a button.

On the PC gaming theme - I used to be a hard core PC gamer with every game getting bought for the PC. Since the xbox has arrived the PC hasn't seen any game play at all. I was even overjoyed that having the xbox 360 meant I could buy GTA 5. Its ironic that I couldn't get a handle on playing GTA 5 because I had played 4 for so long on the PC i naturally missed the keyboard.....strange!!!

Kinda chuffed the PC is games retired now as when it gets upgraded I don't have to worry about a capable graphics card to run them......griendly on yee olde wallet!

Seems to be a few people with consoles and I thought it was talk photography! Lol. Anyone on 360 up for a game then?

Forza 4 is my vice on 360
My handle is "THE B4NDIT 79" if anyone fancies a wee race or two

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stuart
my gamertag is
Dejecteddogsb
unfortunately Forza is the only game I dont have ( Im crap at driving LOL) check out my gt and if we have any common games give me a shout. :D

Had a PS3 for years and played all the usual FPS. Love gran turismo.

Use the next gen consoles as an excuse to pick up a 360 cheap. I've purchased GoW and halo games and they are arcadey rubbish. Absolutely no depth to them.

I heard on a podcast I listen to that the ps3 games are more grown up, with more going on and I now see what they mean after owning a 360. I hate the Forza single player mode, I just seem to fly through and all parts are free after winning a few races I. The car. Where is the challenge? The only game I play is fifa13.

The only game that is a reason to get a PS4 will be GT7. I have GT6 and haven't played it yet, so no rush. Most other games you can get on a PC and most of the time if you have a good enough computer with far better graphics.

I only play forza in multiplayer mode. Tag virus is good when i cant be bothered engaging in a proper race

Back