cycling week 3

Edit My Images
No
after previous 2 attempts here are week 3's attempts. this week took sigma 120-300 f2.8. with the attempt at shooting wide open and trying took make the race appear a little more interesting than riding around a big car park for an hour. certainly good more keepers these week than previously. All shot with natural light.

1 f2.8 1/400th iso 1000 300mm

2 f2.8 1/250th iso 800 300mm

3 f3.5 1/250th iso 640 300mm
CHELT190609_037.jpg

4 f5.6 1/200th iso 320 300mm
CHELT190609_016.jpg

5 f4 1/250th iso400 148mm
CHELT190609_031.jpg

6 f6.3 1/200th iso250 120mm
CHELT190609_003.jpg

thanks for viewing

A great set, the shutter speed is perfect on the panning shots. I'd pick 1, 4 and 6 as my faves

these are great, number 1 takes it for me but I think the front wheel is a little cropped and therefore lets it down a little, but still a cracking shot.

thanks for the comments, here is the frame earlier for no'1 with the wheel cropped at the bottom, plus a few others. With week 4 coming up will try to get even lower looking up more,but from a safe place as i do not fancy getting run over. Also as 95% of the course is spectator free it certainly seems to help,can also stand almost anywhere. tried 1 corner where even 120mm was far too long

CHELT190609_069.jpg

CHELT190609_065.jpg

CHELT190609_034.jpg

thanks for viewing

Last edited:
Which circuit are they racing on?

Brave lot riding a crit without track mitts :wacky:

Which circuit are they racing on?

A loop around cheltenham racecourse car park, approx 5 mins per lap including short sharp uphill , good downhill section. Just the back of the main stand showing in top left of no 6

Brave lot riding a crit without track mitts :wacky:
especially the relaxed style in no 3.

some good shots here and as the old milk race is starting in our home town ......any tips

some good shots here and as the old milk race is starting in our home town ......any tips

i was lucky on this course they completed approx 12 laps. most of the full length photos were taken with camera rotated to portrait rather than landscape which seemed to help also single focus point at head level(thanks to melscmax on previous post).

Do you know the course and are they going past you just once or numerous loops. if you get near the start early enough then you can are a quick tryout with your settings whilst riders warm up.

Also watch the back grounds I am pleased with most of these except the lampost in no. 9. as my preference is not to see much street furniture no.4 i postioned my self to get something that looked more countryside than carpark which you can still just see to the left in no 4.

Got down low on these either seated or even lying down on some of these.

Start shooting early as they move pretty quick, try panning with a slower shutter speed to get some movement in the wheels. (something i still need to improve on). These were all shot hand held far more manouvreability. Depends on hope close you can get these were probably shoot within 10 to 20 feet of of riders postioned so i could see riders come to focus earlier. stood were the plant is in no eight but could not focus quick enough and 120mm still to long

Hope this helps and look foward to seeing photos post in this section.

Last edited:
Back