D200,sb600 flash prob UPDATE

Name
JIM
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just got myself a d200.When using my other camera D300 with the sb600 mounted on it and set up TTL.I get correctly exposed photos.When doing the same setup with the d200.Everything set the same,(exposure,speed, ISO,even using same lens) my pictures are underexposed.if I move the exposure compensation to approx +2.3 it come out the same as the D300.I have double checked all the menu settings etc and camera settings (both cameras the same)and cannot see anything obvious.Any help appreciated.

I'm not sure if there is a specific problem with your camera but when I had my D200's (and D70 prior to that) I always found they underexposed particularly when using flash and usually around 2/3 of a stop. Like you, I found the problem disappeared when the D300 came out.

I'm not sure if there is a specific problem with your camera but when I had my D200's (and D70 prior to that) I always found they underexposed particularly when using flash and usually around 2/3 of a stop. Like you, I found the problem disappeared when the D300 came out.

Thanks for the help.Wasn't sure if i was being a numbty some-how.

Colin is right, with my D70s and D200 i have to dial some expocompo in, with the D300 or 700,you don`t.............(y)

Colin is right, with my D70s and D200 i have to dial some expocompo in, with the D300 or 700,you don`t.............(y)

But 2.3 stops? That seems a little extreme to me?

But 2.3 stops? That seems a little extreme to me?

That's what I think. 2/3rds of a stop is not very good, but maybe possible I suppose. +2.3 is getting on for four times that error. Way too far to be considered normal or acceptable in any way.

That's what I think. 2/3rds of a stop is not very good, but maybe possible I suppose. +2.3 is getting on for four times that error. Way too far to be considered normal or acceptable in any way.

Seems perfect in manual and also off camera.Will try a few more tests again
Thanks again Guys

I have just got myself a d200.When using my other camera D300 with the sb600 mounted on it and set up TTL.I get correctly exposed photos.When doing the same setup with the d200.Everything set the same,(exposure,speed, ISO,even using same lens) my pictures are underexposed.if I move the exposure compensation to approx +2.3 it come out the same as the D300.I have double checked all the menu settings etc and camera settings (both cameras the same)and cannot see anything obvious.Any help appreciated.

Are you using the same lens aswell?
The reason I ask this is I thought I had a similar problem then discovered that my sigma 24-70 underdexposes by appeox 1.5 stops, so problem was solved not the camera or flash but the lens. Maybe worth checking.

Edit
just another thought, you have not got any flash compensation dialed in on the flash or the body?

Are you using the same lens aswell?
The reason I ask this is I thought I had a similar problem then discovered that my sigma 24-70 underdexposes by appeox 1.5 stops, so problem was solved not the camera or flash but the lens. Maybe worth checking.

yes taking off one camera and putting on other ??

Tried another few tests
Put the sb600 on D300 perfect photo
Put the same lens and flash on D200 very dark photo
Put the same lens and jessops 360 afd flash on D200 perfect photo ??

Try resetting the D300 and D200 - IIRC it's the 2 buttons with green dots next to them before doing some more tests

I would also make sure that the shooting menu etc are also reset on both - you never know what's set where that may be causing an issue.

Can you post some examples with Exif data intact?

Try resetting the D300 and D200 - IIRC it's the 2 buttons with green dots next to them before doing some more tests

I would also make sure that the shooting menu etc are also reset on both - you never know what's set where that may be causing an issue.

Can you post some examples with Exif data intact?

Thanks for the reply.Everything was reset before trying the tests.Will post a few photos later.Checking the exif Data last night,both where identical

if I move the exposure compensation to approx +2.3 it come out the same as the D300.
Are we talking scene metering exposure compensation? Or flash metering exposure compensation?

It is entirely possible to put -2 into the scene metering, and +2 on the flash to get underexposed backgrounds and well exposed subjects in the foreground, so this setting might've gotten changed in the past without you realising it.

So, make sure to check BOTH types of exposure compensation when dealing with flash.

I've had no problems using the SB-600 or SB-900 on either the D200 or D300s.

Are we talking scene metering exposure compensation? Or flash metering exposure compensation?

It is entirely possible to put -2 into the scene metering, and +2 on the flash to get underexposed backgrounds and well exposed subjects in the foreground, so this setting might've gotten changed in the past without you realising it.

So, make sure to check BOTH types of exposure compensation when dealing with flash.

I've had no problems using the SB-600 or SB-900 on either the D200 or D300s.

Thanks again.While shooting,both where set to zero.Will take photos later and post them up withexif

Back