D600 - £2000!

SO a question for people who have owned Nikon before, as I haven't, is it usual for the lenses to be audible when focusing in video mode? Its not loud but loud enough to be picked up when ever focusing.
yes. the D3100 I had could pick up AF sounds.

same with Canon cameras, 5D2 would not only pick up AF sounds, it would also pick up IS sound.

use off camera microphones.

Ok thanks, did wonder as having had the OMD the lenses on that are silent for video, you can't hear them at all.

y
How many of D3 / D700 owners here are looking to buy D600 as a second body, especially to use for Landscape etc.,:thinking:

I did order a D600 when amazon has that initial price drop to 1600 but cancelled it shortly after as I think swapping between the D700 and D600 would be awkward due to the different controls and I wasn't sure of the caf performance. Was then going to order a d800 as the price isn't that much more but the fact my D700 works very well and particularly reliable with af puts me off the new model.

Was in my local LCE yesterday,i said i might be temped with the D600,was hinted at to wait for the next price drop :)

Which LCE was that? I was going to have a wobble down to my local LCE today to have a drool and see if the staff are in a good enough mood to knock enough off a d600 so it falls into my budget.

I didn't make it, I've been having back problems this week and it seized up again. Walking 10 mins to sainsburys was torturous enough :(

SO a question for people who have owned Nikon before, as I haven't, is it usual for the lenses to be audible when focusing in video mode? Its not loud but loud enough to be picked up when ever focusing.

yes.. normal. I always focus manually with video.. it's not that difficult with a bit of practice.

The D600 is certainly attracting a lot of interest - good to see the price coming down steadily now ;)

I've started an official D600 users thread, here (since this one started out as a "wow that's expensive" thread, and is still mostly discussing the price of the D600 dropping)

The idea of the new official thread is to cover people's experiences with the D600, tips, questions, perhaps sample images, owner reviews, links to useful sites etc. Hope it proves to be useful, I have started it off with a link to the User manual and some review links etc, there will no doubt be much, much more to follow (y)

Last edited:
Phil Young said:
What's the problem with your back?

Lower spine gets very tight and painful making it a struggle to stay mobile, it can take 30mins to get out of bed and get downstairs, a nightmare when i live by myself. Just comes on out of nowhere but I'll have it looked at by a doctor soon as its been on and off for the last year (y)

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, I just feel rude not answering a question :)

Just got Jessops to price match themselves on their 7 day policy so got a decent 140 refund :) paid for my flash and some of my long lens.

OK, ill buy the camera for £1400 if you pay the extra £412 for the lens

Can't really be bought for £1400 now can it more like £1586

Still 1800 with the lens seems like a very good price, looks like I might be using the 30 day return policy to return and rebuy if they drop the price again.

OK, ill buy the camera for £1400 if you pay the extra £412 for the lens

Can't really be bought for £1400 now can it more like £1586

I know what you mean, but there are many who would buy a moderate walkaround lens like the 24-85 with the D600. A friend of mine ordered it today after seeing the Amazon price. I am looking for the body only as I have invested in the 85 1.8G and have plans to pick up a wide angle prime and the 50 mm F1.8. I am waiting for the body to drop below £1400.

It is available as a grey import at £1410.

I got mine from Panamoz with the 24-85 VR kit lens. It is a cracking lens, great compact and light partner for the D600, very sharp even wide open (and I have the 24-70 2.8 to compare it with!).

Panamoz have excellent reviews on here. Mine took 3 days from payment to delivery. I got a very good price - significantly less than the £1710 price on their site, as we get a small discount as TP members and also 5% off for paying by BT. You need to email them for a quote, see the threads in the Shopping section.

Not from Amazon thou, just a third party supplier, the earlier price was from Amazon themselves but their price is now 2039.

This is getting silly a 200+ fluctuation over a 24hr period doesn't make sense as usually prices would be driven by stock arriving with a different purchase price.

Finally saw one in the flesh earlier at a big Jessops store. You should have seen the look on the assistants face when i picked it up.

I liked the size of it, felt good in my hand (currently using a D200), and although I would have preferred the buttons to be like the D200, i have to say if i could afford one, then it would be one that would be in the list of cameras to buy.

Finally saw one in the flesh earlier at a big Jessops store. You should have seen the look on the assistants face when i picked it up.

I popped into my local jessops to be told, oh we've got the box out but we arent allowed to put the camera on display. :nuts: I didnt necessarily want to touch it or breathe on it or anything, just wanted to see how physically big it was.

This is getting silly a 200+ fluctuation over a 24hr period doesn't make sense as usually prices would be driven by stock arriving with a different purchase price.

If you're meaning Amazon's prices then I think their pricing system is fairly complex and seems frequently based on what other retailers are selling it for leading to prices going up and down a considerable amount. Quite often when I see someone post a good price on an item, Amazon seem to automatically price match it shortly after then will move the price back up at another point.

The cheaper price definitely makes the D600 more tempting once the price gap is larger to the D800 although I still change my mind on a daily basis about which one to buy to just to stick with the D700.

John

nikthomas said:
Has anyone ever used this company?

Nick, have a look in the Shopping, Suppliers and Bargains forums on here, loads of positive reviews about Panamoz. I bought my D600 from them recently (see my earlier post) and have since ordered a couple of lenses. Very quick delivery times and no problems whatsoever.

Some of you have good ideas on this so here goes... do you imagine this price continuing to fall or is it likely to rise and stabilize?

I would imagine it to drop some more leading up to X-mas. Amazon have it for £1,565.58 at the moment.

Where did you end up ordering it from? What lenses you looking to use? Have fun!

Where did you end up ordering it from? What lenses you looking to use? Have fun!

I succumbed to the power of digitalrev this time!

I'll use my 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 primarily with this body. I use a d700 too with (mainly) a 24 1.4

I'm really happy about the weight and the sensor. I know there's a few differences to the d700 with the selection dial but meh I'll be more than happy!

Back