Dale's Garden Hide. (been a busy boy)

I have to say that I would be more than a little miffed if someone condescended to give me an unasked for lecture about firearms security.

Not cool. Not cool at all.
But you weren't the one bragging about what "you" had or posting "final solutions" in a nature thread,
let alone posting pictures of what you had, even after being told 3 times not to.
And no one talks to my staff like he did.

Time to drop the whole subject .

Last edited:
Instead of trying to deter the pigeons, maybe you can do something to to avoid attracting them in the first place?

I assume your feeders are in cages and you say that they are only picking up scraps from the floor which has increased as the number of other birds visiting your feeders has also increased.

Could you devise a way to collect the spilled seed so that it not accessible? Some sort of large funnel into a sealed container so that it can be periodically removed and maybe even re-used.

I did a quick sketch of what I am thinking, I don't know if it would suit your set-up but it's an idea.

20220518_115833.jpg

Instead of trying to deter the pigeons, maybe you can do something to to avoid attracting them in the first place?

I assume your feeders are in cages and you say that they are only picking up scraps from the floor which has increased as the number of other birds visiting your feeders has also increased.

Could you devise a way to collect the spilled seed so that it not accessible? Some sort of large funnel into a sealed container so that it can be periodically removed and maybe even re-used.

I did a quick sketch of what I am thinking, I don't know if it would suit your set-up but it's an idea.

Class, I love the sad pigeon.:LOL:

I have cable tied an old paint bucket to the feeder, underneath it. It's catching tons of seed but some is still getting flicked beyond it. We're kind of on the same page with this but your refinement is genius. (y)

Don't forget that it's not only pigeons that are ground feeders - the dunnocks rely on the sparrows and finches to drop seed and fat particles down for them!

I've come up with a very temporary solution but if it works, I will improve it. Years ago, we had chickens and they had a small run and hut overnight, the whole garden during the day. Anyway, the chickens are long gone and their home fell into disrepair. I burned it but kept the mesh frames of the run itself. I've repurposed them, laid them flat on some fence posts lying under the feeders. They are raised enough to allow smaller birds to forage, and high enough off the ground to prevent the pigeons reaching the discarded seed. This may work, it may not, we'll see but hopefully, there will be some sad pigeons soon.

Glad to report that today there have been some sad pigeons.

I've hardly seen one all day, 5 turned up at lunchtime though, had a poke around but they seem to have given up. I will wait a few days though to see if it continues to work before refining it and making it permanent.

If it continues and the pigeons don't figure it out somehow, job's a good 'un.

Last edited:
I've come up with a very temporary solution but if it works, I will improve it. Years ago, we had chickens and they had a small run and hut overnight, the whole garden during the day. Anyway, the chickens are long gone and their home fell into disrepair. I burned it but kept the mesh frames of the run itself. I've repurposed them, laid them flat on some fence posts lying under the feeders. They are raised enough to allow smaller birds to forage, and high enough off the ground to prevent the pigeons reaching the discarded seed. This may work, it may not, we'll see but hopefully, there will be some sad pigeons soon.
Good idea!

I mean, it's not quite as Heath Robinson a solution as I would have liked to have seen, but if it works... (y):LOL:

Well, the pesky pigeons figured it out, the mesh did worked for a while, I'm sure it was uncomfortable for them as well as keeping the pigeons from reaching the dropped seed. They've cracked it though.

I have a new plan, some dried out pine branches that have shed their needles, I haven't got around to mulching them, so they are now sitting on top of the mesh. Again, it seems to be working, for now at least. I see some hedge trimming happening over the weekend. It will be a pain at grass cuttimg time but I will suffer that if it works.

I think it will take more than one single deterrent to put them off.

Last edited:
I just don't bother TBH, especially as one pigeon has figured out if it fly's into the hanging seed feeder hard enough
it shakes seed to the ground.
Or by hanging upside down on it, it can feed direct from it.
Bloody acrobat :D

It just annoys me that they stamp all over the emerging fronds of the ferns in the area.
Most are now fully grown again now though, after their hard Spring prune.

I just don't bother TBH, especially as one pigeon has figured out if it fly's into the hanging seed feeder hard enough
it shakes seed to the ground.
Or by hanging upside down on it, it can feed direct from it.
Bloody acrobat :D

It just annoys me that they stamp all over the emerging fronds of the ferns in the area.
Most are now fully grown again now though, after their hard Spring prune.

It's become a challenge now, I won't rest until I've fixed 'em. ;)
:LOL:

Thanks for all the suggestions, plenty of food for thought.

I am considering some kind of mesh now. I remembered I have some plastic, 1 inch square stuff in the shed, somewhere. I may make it into a frame and raise it an inch or so above ground, enough to stop the pigeons reaching the discarded seed or getting under the frame. The smaller birds should still be able to ground forage, chaffinches seem to prefer that to perching.

If this is still the setup, I'd try lifting the mesh up a couple of inches so the bastlighters can't stretch their necks through to get at the seed. Wider mesh (might need to be a bit higher again) would let the smaller birds get down through the gaps. Maybe a shallow, upside down box type contraption?

We had one a couple of weeks ago. Just after dawn (about 05:30) so very low light. Just to be even more helpful, it was on the far side of the feeder. Still good to see - Mk 1 eyeballs are better than any camera, it's just the memory card that doesn't work properly!!!

I'm not sure if this helps but I think a mate of mine uses some kind of larsen trap to catch the pigeons in, perhaps google it and I'll ask him about it and get back to you, its a shame if you have to stop especially with all the time and effort it involved setting it up.

I'm not sure if this helps but I think a mate of mine uses some kind of larsen trap to catch the pigeons in, perhaps google it and I'll ask him about it and get back to you, its a shame if you have to stop especially with all the time and effort it involved setting it up.

That would be great, thanks.

I thought I had them beaten but it's been really bad this last few days, I counted 37 (ish) pigeons.
I have to think of the neighbours too, we get on with all of them (except 1) and I don't want the blame. I know where the blame really lies but not much I can do about it.

some kind of larsen trap to catch the pigeons in
Larson traps are designed for corvids,
its normal to put a calling bird ( from another area) in one side, the residents intent on killing the invader fall in.

Pigeon traps work differently, they wander in looking for food and get trapped.
Its a metal cage with a swinging one way wire door. And will catch a few at a time,
But you need to bait it for a couple of days, with the door pinned open, so they get used to feeding in there.

Larson traps are designed for corvids,
its normal to put a calling bird ( from another area) in one side, the residents intent on killing the invader fall in.

Pigeon traps work differently, they wander in looking for food and get trapped.
Its a metal cage with a swinging one way wire door. And will catch a few at a time,
But you need to bait it for a couple of days, with the door pinned open, so they get used to feeding in there.

The talk about traps, it’s got me thinking actually. Back in the day, I knew lads that trapped birds with a milk crate, stick and a string. I am certain I could catch the pigeons that way.

I would have to look into the legalities of it, as I’m not up on trapping laws as a member of the public nowadays.

Dispatching would also be a problem.

I’m not saying at this stage it’s a course I’d pursue but it’s worth looking into.

I have to do something.

Back in the day, I knew lads that trapped birds with a milk crate, stick and a string.
Ah yes I remember doing that as kid hours of fun, I hardly caught anything though :D

I would have to look into the legalities of it, as I’m not up on trapping laws as a member of the public nowadays.
TBH Neither am I, these days. It was always done under the general licence when I was working.

TBH Neither am I, these days. It was always done under the general licence when I was working.

I know it’s very illegal to trap your average goldfinch but I’m not sure about vermin. It’s legal to shoot pigeons on your own property/land but I don’t know about trapping them and dispatching them, humanely of course. It’s illegal to trap wild birds but if that applies to vermin birds, I’m not sure.

I see some Google research in my future.

Last edited:
We used my mums washing basket.....
I'm sure she was impressed :D

but I’m not sure about vermin.
I'm pretty sure they are fair game as they say.
But as before I was always working under the general licence.
So never looked into it beyond that.
It’s legal to shoot pigeons on your own property/land
And as you probably know, any other land you have permission from the land owner to do so.

I would suspect that trapping, would be like squirrels, it comes under the animals act, I'm not sure which variation we are on, 1971 ? or did it get updated?,
I know there is a 2006, but that relates to pets, or maybe that's the one that applies? Once its in your possession, you have a duty of care,
to that animal, and that includes humane dispatch.

I'm pretty sure they are fair game as they say.
But as before I was always working under the general licence.
So never looked into it beyond that.

And as you probably know, any other land you have permission from the land owner to do so.

I would suspect that trapping, would be like squirrels, it comes under the animals act, I'm not sure which variation we are on, 1971 ? or did it get updated?,
I know there is a 2006, but that relates to pets, or maybe that's the one that applies? Once its in your possession, you have a duty of care,
to that animal, and that includes humane dispatch.

Wise words, I will delve deeper.

I know, here in Scotland at least, if you catch or trap a grey squirrel, it’s illegal to release it. What that means beyond that, I’m not sure. You can shoot them on your own land, or land you have permission to shoot on and asked by that landowner to do so.

You’re right about permissions Chris. (y)

Last edited:
I know, here in Scotland at least, if you catch or trap a grey squirrel, it’s illegal to release it.
Same down here Dale.

Same down here Dale.

4am Chris, couldn't you sleep Bud?

I've had a quick gander this morning. It's all changed a bit since my shooting days and trapping is something I've never done, so I'm not up to speed on the laws rgarding that at all.

From what I've read though, a General Licence is needed and other forms of registration too, like trap type, any bait etc etc. It's actually governed here in Scotland by the same people who issue my Schedule 1 licence.

At this stage, I'm not sure it's something I want to get into. I think I will persevere with some form of detterance, I have a few tricks up my sleeve yet. (y)

4am Chris, couldn't you sleep Bud?
I "died" and woke up..
Always fatal that :D

From what I've read though, a General Licence is needed and other forms of registration too,
I forgot that you were way up there, and yes I believe some of the laws are different, in Scotland.
I think I will persevere with some form of detterance, I have a few tricks up my sleeve yet. (y)
Good luck with which ever way you decide to go :)

I hadn't realised it's been so long since I updated this one. To be honest, I've not spent much time in the hide this last few months although I did give it a spruce up earlier in the year, repaired the floor and a lick of paint.

I have been topping the feeders up though, to keep the birds coming in. Siskin numbers seem to have dwindled, Goldfinches too but they are picking up a bit now. The pigeons are still a problem :bat:, infact, even worse, there are sometimes 50 or more sat on some of the nearby houses. I have 2 Blue Tits on a very regular basis and also, 4 Greenfinches, which makes me happy.

We had a first today though. I've only been using sunflower hearts for about the last 2 years, not much else, just occasional fat balls etc. I found the other foods were attracting bigger birds, (Rooks, Jackdaws, even more Pigeons etc) that were driving the smaller birds away. I did find a bag of peanuts a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd try them again.

Today's first were Long Tail Tits, 5 of them. I'm quite certain I've never had them actually at the hide before. I've heard them in the nearby woods but never in or over our garden. They were feasting on the peanuts today.

So that's good, might even inspire me to brave the sub zero temperatures out there just now and get a few snaps. :banana:

Last edited:
Today's first were Long Tail Tits, 5 of them. I'm quite certain I've never had them actually at the hide before.
Cool (y)
TBH I'm not seeing very much on / at the feeders at the moment, at all.

Prior to the high of getting LTTs at the hide today, there was also a sad sight. I was sure that the Greenfinches has built up some immunity to tricho but it seems not, that's 2 in a week.

There are 4 others though that look fit and well. I'm pondering withdrawing my feeders for 2 weeks but a lot of people feed birds here, so I'm thinking it won't make much difference. :(

IMGC3358 tp.jpg

Something hasn't been quite right at my hide in the mornings, there were some obvious signs of disturbance inside it. I picked up a sack of sunflower hearts one day last week and some of the seeds spilled onto the floor, there was a hole in the bag. I had my suspicions and today, I was proven right. :LOL:

View: https://youtu.be/kWqjhC-GA-E

My locals seem to like engine oil, I had two bottles on the top shelf in the shed, mice chewed both bottles in the bottom corner, lets just say, nothing will rust in there now :LOL:

Put your cat in there for a while ;)

Back