Darkness

That's what I was getting at, your first image / crop ( it's the same as Steven's second example) with Em's eye on a vertical and horizontal 1/3rd.
And the very low-key, approach, to the right ( of image)
(y)
I did have a little play, I wouldn't change anything.
Thank you for your time & trying :)

@sk66's suggested crops are much more balanced & visually pleasing.

I'm not sure this image needs balance or to be visual pleasing. An uncomfortable composition suits the mood & lighting; I prefer the original. You could - if you felt like it - go much further e.g.

View attachment 394952
Thank you, Simon, for the feedback, I really appreciate the time for the edit too (y)

I have to admit, I like the crop you've done, it seems to add to the mood & darkness.
Cheers (y)

They're all interesting pictures Gav and well done too :D

If you don't mind me saying...

Some of your pictures look dark mood wise and I wonder if trying something else might be an idea? You pictures remind me of a part of my life when I was in a very dark place and this was definitely reflected in the pictures I took and looking at them it was obvious to me and I now find those pictures difficult to look at. I hope I'm wrong but if these pictures are indeed a reflection of a wider life mood then maybe a change up and some bright mood and colour and happy faces could be a shake up and a change of mood?

Sorry if I'm wrong about this. Great pictures either way.

Last edited:
They're all interesting picture Gav and well done too :D

If you don't mind me saying...

Some of your pictures look dark mood wise and I wonder if trying something else might be an idea? You pictures remind me of a part of my life when I was in a very dark place and this was definitely reflected in the pictures I took and looking at them it was obvious to me and I now find those pictures difficult to look at. I hope I'm wrong but if these pictures are indeed a reflection of a wider life mood then maybe a change up and some bright mood and colour and happy faces could be a shake up and a change of mood?

Sorry if I'm wrong about this. Great pictures either way.
Hi, Alan, thank you for the feedback (y)

My current mindset/mood is having an affect on the images I'm making, I agree I probably should look at things differantly and try other things.

My issues do bite and I struggle, Em has stopped me from following up on some ideas I've had as she was worried how they'd be seen.

I'll try to think outside my mind and see what I can do.

Thanks again.

Gav, it's the reinforcement through your photography that I'd worry about. I made a conscious decision to try and change. I hope you can soon be in a better place.

Gav, it's the reinforcement through your photography that I'd worry about. I made a conscious decision to try and change. I hope you can soon be in a better place.
Thank you, Alan, getting out of the rut is the hardest part, but I agree, may be a change is needed! Thank you (y)

may be a change is needed!
I know you have your own demons, Gav, and fair play to you for working though them, photography wise.
At the moment, , as I see it, they are all heart felt images.

If you try and force a change, I doubt they'll have anywhere near the same impact.
Of course, no one can tell you what to do, you do what you feel is right, for you (and Em), at this time.

I know you have your own demons, Gav, and fair play to you for working though them, photography wise.
At the moment, , as I see it, they are all heart felt images.

If you try and force a change, I doubt they'll have anywhere near the same impact.
Of course, no one can tell you what to do, you do what you feel is right, for you (and Em), at this time.
Thank you, Chris (y)

You're not the first to use photography to help through a grim period & you won't be the last.

Maybe you could make a small positive change by doing some simple portraits outdoors? No lights, no technical stuff, just the two of you in a garden?

You're not the first to use photography to help through a grim period & you won't be the last.

Maybe you could make a small positive change by doing some simple portraits outdoors? No lights, no technical stuff, just the two of you in a garden?
Thank you, Simon, we only have a small garden with low fences, we trying a few things in the local crop fields where I look for the Hare, the crop is just turning a lovely colour at the minute, hoping I can get some nice light soon :)

Going for walks with a camera helps me a lot and I get to relive the day by watching my pictures on a slideshow.

Going for walks with a camera helps me a lot and I get to relive the day by watching my pictures on a slideshow.
We try to walk as much as possible, during the week is tricky with work and my 'homework' but we do get out. Me being me though, I'll always reach for the big gear and have an eye on the beasts, we'll be talking one minute and then she'll be looking for me as I've dived in the muck and stalking something :ROFLMAO: same goes with macro gear :LOL: I'm forcing myself to grab a 50 or 85 prime now so we can grab a few shots and just enjoy the walk ;)

Back