weekly Delta Skies 2014 TP52 - Week 51 Extravagant & Week 52 Support (that's 2014 done)

Hi Peter ....I think it's all been said ....very well done ....a lot of hard work in there. I really like the idea of doing something 'different' and not being afraid to think outside the box. It certainly has a dreamy feel ...the little 'bowl with the stones, the lamp, and the tree is interesting.....I can't help but wonder what made you choose those particular objects !
Thanks Susie. The balls were chosen rather than just create a flat circle in PS. The globe came from a different idea on the same theme and then I found a video about blending the layers with a globe. I was originally thinking about a young child holding a teddy bear wandering down a path all in a snow globe but with no young child (ours are 16 & 19:p) then I resorted to the tree - it's the famous lone one on the limestone paving near Settle. The lamp post is again the famous one part way down the steps at Whitby

Hey Peter :)

Dream/Dreamy - Blimey, you have put a LOT of work into this mate, love all the elements, soooo much happening in the shot, and the blending/layers or what ever it is you have to put these together is excellent, I particularly like the reeds in the foreground - a lovely bright dreamy world :clap:
Thanks Dean

Hi Peter, lot of work there, i like how you have used different objects for the moon and planet,

have to say I am with Lynne on it not quite gelling, but as its a dream image, well its your dream.
top marks for stepping out your comfort zone and you have used the layers to great effect :clap:
Thanks Allan. It's been definitely a lesson in layers - this one had 15 of them!

Week 25 - Vertical

Six Spot Burnet Moth on Vertical Grass by Delta Skies, on Flickr

OK back to the real world this week. This was taken during a visit to a local countryside park. We set off to take part in a nature photography workshop from a local pro who we know. Unfortunately the park ranger locked the door literally in front of our face and didn't seem to want to answer to us knocking on the door. :( Anyway it saved us £25 each and just took some close up nature shots of our own. I found this moth sat nicely on a piece of dried grass that was "vertical" - ok I know but it fits :naughty: The shot was hand held taken using natural light and a 60mm macro lens @ f16.

Hi Peter, excellent shot of the moth such brilliant colour, vertical works both the grass the moth and its antennae all vertical.

who upset the park ranger then?

Hi Peter, excellent shot of the moth such brilliant colour, vertical works both the grass the moth and its antennae all vertical.

who upset the park ranger then?
Thanks Allan. To be fair we were just over 5 minutes late but then so was he as he just walked into the park building just ahead of us. They normally open at 11 and the workshop started at 10. Maybe he wasn't happy about having to get up an hour earlier on a Sunday :p

Week 26 - Yum

Yum Yum by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Inspiration didn't really come along until I spotted Posiview's Yum shot of the cake. Suddenly all I needed were the ingredients or should I say a visit to the shops to get a jam tart and some liquorice allsorts. Studio set up with softbox and umbrella to eliminate most of the shadows although I wanted to leave some in to accentuate the background texture. More of a fun shot than anything else. Hopefully it can bring a smile.

Very good, certainly brought a smile :)

I like the focus dropping away as the sweets disappear into the corner.

I like the composition of the shot, but the background seems a bit blotchy (might be my screen though :thinking:).

Very good, certainly brought a smile :)

I like the focus dropping away as the sweets disappear into the corner.
Thanks Mark. It wasn't even a shallow DoF as I was at f16 - just very close.

I like the composition of the shot, but the background seems a bit blotchy (might be my screen though :thinking:).
Thanks Andy. Don't worry it's not your monitor. The surface is a peeling paint texture added to get away from a plain white backgound

Super colour and textures in the moth Peter, Certainly have enough DOF to keep all of him sharp.

Pacman cakes eh?? Great idea and well set up, Only comment i might make would be regards the texture, while I agree it is better than a plain white base, there doesn;t appear to be the fading into OOF as there is with the sweets.

If it was a texture layer applied afterwards, maybe a bit of blur, with a graduated layer mask would help it along. And is it my eyes or is the top left right :rolleyes: yellow sweet sharper than the other yellow one? :thinking:

But as long as the base shot is sound, which it is, this is a quick second edit. (y)

Last edited:
Hi Peter

Love the Burnett moth , perfectly placed , excellent DOF & wonderfully sharp :clap:

YUM....brilliant idea & well executed :clap: I wasn't sure about the bg either but can understand you wanting to get away from a plain white one ( they do get rather boring :) ) Love the angle , the receeding DOF & the colors...& yes , it raised a large smile :clap:

Yum - I love this a nice fun take on the theme, my only niggle is I don't like the texture added in pp. I would of preferred a plain background, the composition works well.
Thanks Mandy. No problem about the texture - I do find they can be hit and miss as to whether they work for everyone

Super colour and textures in the moth Peter, Certainly have enough DOF to keep all of him sharp.

Pacman cakes eh?? Great idea and well set up, Only comment i might make would be regards the texture, while I agree it is better than a plain white base, there doesn;t appear to be the fading into OOF as there is with the sweets.

If it was a texture layer applied afterwards, maybe a bit of blur, with a graduated layer mask would help it along. And is it my eyes or is the top left right :rolleyes: yellow sweet sharper than the other yellow one? :thinking:

But as long as the base shot is sound, which it is, this is a quick second edit. (y)
Many thanks for the comments Graham. I knew there was something wrong with the texture and I couldn't put my finger on it. :banghead: I played around for a while trying different blending options and opacities and couldn't get it quite right. As you say it's in focus from front to back which doesn't match the subject. Definitely on to go back and fix through what should be a fairly quick edit

Hi Peter

Love the Burnett moth , perfectly placed , excellent DOF & wonderfully sharp :clap:

YUM....brilliant idea & well executed :clap: I wasn't sure about the bg either but can understand you wanting to get away from a plain white one ( they do get rather boring :) ) Love the angle , the receeding DOF & the colors...& yes , it raised a large smile :clap:
Thanks Lynne. Graham appears to have pointed out my doh moment with the texture so off to fix that when I get in front of PS again.

Hi Peter, I like that lots BG has been pointed out already regarding focus my only other crit is the top right sweet i would have maybe kept whole
nice take on the theme (y)

:) a well though out fun shot Peter ... I like this one, a very unique choice for the theme.
Thanks Susie

Hi Peter, I like that lots BG has been pointed out already regarding focus my only other crit is the top right sweet i would have maybe kept whole
nice take on the theme (y)
Thanks Allan. I did original have it cropped wider but felt I didn't want the white background in the corner so used the sweet as a stopper

That is brilliant, Peter!

I love shots which make me laugh and Yum certainly did that... super take, great DOF choice and good lighting. Not a fan of the texture either, but that's been covered!
Cheers Paul

Yum was a great idea certainly different made me giggle so always a winner :)
Thanks Craig

Week 27 - Loud

Loud by Delta Skies, on Flickr

This wasn't the orginal idea I had for this shot but getting so far behind and with lots of things to do after coming back from a week away meant I went for a quickie. Purposely kept a very shallow DoF to concentrate on the word volume. I also felt a mono conversion (done via RAW) would suit it.

Last edited:
Hi Peter, really nice DoF as you say highlighting the volume control and I like the way the Marshall logo stands out, not quite sure on the jaunty angle though I don't know what I would have done

Hi Peter, really nice DoF as you say highlighting the volume control and I like the way the Marshall logo stands out, not quite sure on the jaunty angle though I don't know what I would have done
Thanks Allan

Hi Peter - great take on theme (if not unique) and I do like the B&W conversion. I really like the angle and DOF choice is super shallow... nice!
Cheers Paul

Loud - great take for the theme and good, dof works well as does the mono conversion.
Thanks Mandy

Week 28 - Rich

Rich Dreams by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Taken in daylight, this wasn't the final photo I was aiming for. It was actually a test shot to try various angles ahead of getting the tripod out. And yet it was the angle of the chips that attracted me to choosing this one to edit after I ended the shoot. Converted to mono using Silver Efex with a bit of playing with various layers to adjust brightness (down), etc.

Last edited:
Works for me. Nice tight crop adds impact and it's obviously on theme.

As always, Dof used to good effect here. Liking the angle too.

All comments above actually meant for rich.... But also cover what I would have said for loud as well. :)

Hi Peter,

Vertical... Nice Moth five spot Burnet, good image, well focused, they usually fly off before i can get a shot,:clap:
Yum... lovely fun shot, I love liquorice allsorts Yummmm:)
Loud... nice shot like the dof, the mono suits the image too(y)
Rich...Dof and angle are great, reading your description you have done a bit of pp on it, the crop works well too(y)

Hi Peter
Here at last :rolleyes:
Yum - Like the idea a lot - nice humorous shot (y). Perhaps the angle is a bit too much as the 'eating' of the sweets by the tart is not immediately apparent, not to me anyway. But I got it on second look. Bit bright on my monitor. Not sure about the b/g, but did not know it was an applied texture until I read further. As I would not know how to do that i would refrain from suggesting anything, but like Graham @overbez , I would like to see some fall off in focus.
Loud - good focus and pov. My kind of angle :rolleyes:. Excellent depth to the b&w.
Rich - beginning to worry that your camera is heavier on one side:) Like the pov and crop. The A of the ace seems slightly oof and I would have preferred a colour version - but I do have a preference for colour i playing cards.

Hi Peter, like the card shot nice and tight with all the elements you need in there, perfect DoF too, no complaints here about it being B+W

Is it safe to come in here ;)

Missed a few.....

Yum, lovley rich colours and cracking idea. I wasn't sure about the composiiton thinking I'd prefer a traditional across the screen composition, but I like it how it is. Some details seems to have been lost in the whites lower left, minor point.

Loud, Marshall, always good in a moody B&W. Good use of selective focus.

Rich, unusual choice of B&W but works to direct attention to the cards. Like the potrail orientation and the slight tilt. Ubermonor point would be the slightly OOF lower left section....and possible having the carda Ace through 10. I've only every seen them 10 through Ace, so maybe me.

Anyways, catch you soon (y)

Cheers.

Works for me. Nice tight crop adds impact and it's obviously on theme.

As always, Dof used to good effect here. Liking the angle too.

All comments above actually meant for rich.... But also cover what I would have said for loud as well. :)
Thanks Graham

Hi Peter,

Vertical... Nice Moth five spot Burnet, good image, well focused, they usually fly off before i can get a shot,:clap:
Yum... lovely fun shot, I love liquorice allsorts Yummmm:)
Loud... nice shot like the dof, the mono suits the image too(y)
Rich...Dof and angle are great, reading your description you have done a bit of pp on it, the crop works well too(y)
Thanks for the catch up Judi.

Hi Peter
Here at last :rolleyes:
Yum - Like the idea a lot - nice humorous shot (y). Perhaps the angle is a bit too much as the 'eating' of the sweets by the tart is not immediately apparent, not to me anyway. But I got it on second look. Bit bright on my monitor. Not sure about the b/g, but did not know it was an applied texture until I read further. As I would not know how to do that i would refrain from suggesting anything, but like Graham @overbez , I would like to see some fall off in focus.
Loud - good focus and pov. My kind of angle :rolleyes:. Excellent depth to the b&w.
Rich - beginning to worry that your camera is heavier on one side:) Like the pov and crop. The A of the ace seems slightly oof and I would have preferred a colour version - but I do have a preference for colour i playing cards.
Thanks for the comments Alan. I totally agree about the lack of focus fall off for Yum. Rich - Yes the A is oof but I went for it anyway. As for colour, right from the beginning I was wanting a darker mono image for this one. My inspiration was those gambling dens held behind closed doors in grubby clubs as shown in many movies over the years.

Hi Peter, like the card shot nice and tight with all the elements you need in there, perfect DoF too, no complaints here about it being B+W
Thanks Allan

Is it safe to come in here ;)
You're always welcome Andy. You should know that (y)

Missed a few.....

Yum, lovley rich colours and cracking idea. I wasn't sure about the composiiton thinking I'd prefer a traditional across the screen composition, but I like it how it is. Some details seems to have been lost in the whites lower left, minor point.

Loud, Marshall, always good in a moody B&W. Good use of selective focus.

Rich, unusual choice of B&W but works to direct attention to the cards. Like the potrail orientation and the slight tilt. Ubermonor point would be the slightly OOF lower left section....and possible having the carda Ace through 10. I've only every seen them 10 through Ace, so maybe me.

Anyways, catch you soon (y)

Cheers.
Thanks for the feedback Andy. points taken re: the whites of Yum and oof lower left on Rich. I'm not a poker player so I bow to your hours and hours of gambling experience (Don't worry I won't tell Jackie) :D:D:D

Finally - thanks guys. No time tonight to comment back but your input is gratefully received

Last edited:
Nice shot Peter for Rich and great composition which works really well (and on theme). I agree with Andy & Alan re: OOF Ace being a slight (and really very minor) distraction. Super conversion - let's give you credit for that rather than Silver Efex! Love your DOF (apart from the Ace)... top job.

Back