Digital Medium Format Thread

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing all year…

…still fancy the 55 though. Don’t have enough wedge for the one in the classifieds…

55mm is too tight for me as a general purpose lens, much prefer the 45mm (35mm FF) field of view, yes it would be nice if it was a bit faster, but then the weight will go up........

I'm determied to use mine more as a supersized X100 this year.
Me too I took them out today on my Dartmoor Photowalk and just shot Panoramas with that brilliant 65x24 aspect ratio. I'll post some images when I've dont the processing etc.

Last edited:
Me too I took them out today on my Dartmoor Photowalk and just shot Panoramas with that brilliant 65x24 aspect ratio. I'll post some images when I've dont the processing etc.
65-24. I must investigate that.

Temptation of the 55 1.7 made we wonder… I’d forgotten how good adapted lens are with the GFX. Not as good as the GF lenses but… just tested my canon FF primes 24-135 and they’re all pretty good. I’ll try them.

Vale Royal Locks 2 by David Yeoman, on Flickr

GFX50S+GF45mm

Really like that works well in B&W.

How do you get to the Locks?
Do you pull in just past the bridge into the, what looks like rough and ready car park and then walk and follow the river to the Locks?

Thinking might be a place to try one lunch time as I work not far from there.

Do you pull in just past the bridge into the, what looks like rough and ready car park and then walk and follow the river to the Locks?

Yes that’s one option, it’s a 10-15 minute walk from there and you can either go down the track or go back over the blue bridge and follow the towpath

In addition there are locks nearer Northwich whichare more accessible by car - Hunts Lock - give us a shout if you wanted a guide, I work from home so can arrange to be avilable in the middle of the day (usually)

See Hasselblad has updated there 907x system by placing a 100c back onto it.
It is not "that" much more than the 50c version when buying new and looks to be little less than the X2D.

Would I buy one? (I don't have the funds)

Really like the design, the form factor and it is certainly a very portable bit of kit and from what I have seen on YouTube the images are fab.

Hmmm?
I don't think so because I don't have a V series camera, nor I am I looking to buy one, to attach it too.
It is not weather proof, an yes sometimes I am out in the rain.
As much as I like the form factor the fact you have to use the back screen all the time, does make me winder what it is like in sunlight.

Nice bit of kit, but I think not for me :)

Had a quick fondle of a GFX100 yesterday.

Fortunately 100MP is way out of my requirements, but it’s a lot nicer in the hand than I was expecting and made me start thinking about the GFX50.

Not sure if I’d ‘really’ see the advantages over my Z7ii.

Had a quick fondle of a GFX100 yesterday.

Fortunately 100MP is way out of my requirements, but it’s a lot nicer in the hand than I was expecting and made me start thinking about the GFX50.

Not sure if I’d ‘really’ see the advantages over my Z7ii.

If the available lens choice and speed of operation meets your requirements, then its obviously an option, but if you need wide len focal length capability and fast AF then I'd stick with the Nikon, unless your pockets are deep enough for the GFX100 II

If the available lens choice and speed of operation meets your requirements, then its obviously an option, but if you need wide len focal length capability and fast AF then I'd stick with the Nikon, unless your pockets are deep enough for the GFX100 II
To be fair I’m trying to save weight not increase it. :ROFLMAO:

In truth, I really don’t need a GFX, but I’m guessing it would be fun.

To be fair I’m trying to save weight not increase it. :ROFLMAO:

In truth, I really don’t need a GFX, but I’m guessing it would be fun.

GFX50S with GF45mm = 1.445kg, I weighed it last week to see how much weight I'd save with a Leica Q2/Q3 - which obviously I don't need! - approx twice the weight (and the Leica is approx 50% heavier than an X100 series camera).

I'm sure I don't need a GFX, but I have found that since I've had it my keeper to shots taken ratio has increased considerably - I 'obviously' need to buy a Leica to see if its camera dependant or I've just got better :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

GFX50S with GF45mm = 1.445kg, I weighed it last week to see how much weight I'd save with a Leica Q2/Q3 - which obviously I don't need! - approx twice the weight (and the Leica is approx 50% heavier than an X100 series camera).

I'm sure I don't need a GFX, but I have found that since I've had it my keeper to shots taken ratio has increased considerably - I 'obviously' need to buy a Leica to see if its camera dependant or I've just got better :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Nothing to see here, just your average GFX user as seen through the eyes of "normal" people :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

images.jpg

Without derailing the MF thread I’ll be honest the spectre of the Q2/3 looms large for me as well, but I’m unconvinced most of what I shoot suits the focal length which has kept me restrained over the use of my wallet at present. :ROFLMAO:

Without derailing the MF thread I’ll be honest the spectre of the Q2/3 looms large for me as well, but I’m unconvinced most of what I shoot suits the focal length which has kept me restrained over the use of my wallet at present. :ROFLMAO:
I've made good use of the "digital crop" feature on the Q3, of course in reality it's just a box in the viewfinder but does help a lot with framing and enables you to see what the end result will be. The best thing though is that as long as you shoot in RAW you also still get the full image, it will display the cropped / zoomed image when importing into LR but click on the crop tool and you can adjust freely including going back to the full width 28mm image.Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 11.09.32 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Yes this is in my thoughts as well, as do 3:2 sensors, I shoot quite a lot of vertical shots then crop to 5:4, on a 4:3 sensor you just loose a little top and bottom, but on 3:2 sensor you lose a lot more and if you are cropping into the image as well, then the resolution decreases rapidly.

I do think though that a GFX plus a Leica Q2/Q3 makes a nice (if expensive) camera combination.

Nothing to see here, just your average GFX user as seen through the eyes of "normal" people :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 413335

I first programmed a computer on punched cards, so a mobile phone was well into the future.................................

I've made good use of the "digital crop" feature on the Q3, of course in reality it's just a box in the viewfinder but does help a lot with framing and enables you to see what the end result will be. The best thing though is that as long as you shoot in RAW you also still get the full image, it will display the cropped / zoomed image when importing into LR but click on the crop tool and you can adjust freely including going back to the full width 28mm image.View attachment 413337
Just a crop tool ? Nearly Pete. Remember when in use it’ll only meter for the crop & only focus somewhere in the crop. They’re pretty clever.

Just wondering where else you would be focussing ?
So, you might’ve focused near the edge of the full frame. You decide to crop in. When you do, the camera will select a new focus point for you (am I digging a hole for myself)

Gutted on two levels, that I have to sell the Q3 due to being offered a lot of work shooting surfers in the sunshine and that a GFX 100S can't replace it no matter how hard I try and convince myself it can.

Gutted on two levels, that I have to sell the Q3 due to being offered a lot of work shooting surfers in the sunshine and that a GFX 100S can't replace it no matter how hard I try and convince myself it can.

You are severly limited by lens choice, before you even start thinking about AF - If you don't need FF you might find an APSC solution that is wallet friendly and will allow you to keep the Q3

Back