Digital Medium Format Thread

You are severly limited by lens choice, before you even start thinking about AF - If you don't need FF you might find an APSC solution that is wallet friendly and will allow you to keep the Q3
Considering the OM-1 tbh, looked back through some of my old Olympus files from 2019 and it certainly nailed surfers even back then.

A couple from a few days ago:

View down the lake
full

Robin - GFX for birding, who knew?!
full

Yes this is in my thoughts as well, as do 3:2 sensors, I shoot quite a lot of vertical shots then crop to 5:4, on a 4:3 sensor you just loose a little top and bottom, but on 3:2 sensor you lose a lot more and if you are cropping into the image as well, then the resolution decreases rapidly.

I do think though that a GFX plus a Leica Q2/Q3 makes a nice (if expensive) camera combination.

I first programmed a computer on punched cards, so a mobile phone was well into the future.................................

I have always cropped my verticals to 4:3 obviously on a 3:2 FF sensor. Lately I have been going 5:4 a bit and although the IQ & size is still okay, it does bug me throwing pixels away sometimes! :ROFLMAO:

On the other hand, I am getting better at shooting a 4:3 on a 3:2 sensor & judging the areas I don't need more accurately :)

I have always cropped my verticals to 4:3 obviously on a 3:2 FF sensor. Lately I have been going 5:4 a bit and although the IQ & size is still okay, it does bug me throwing pixels away sometimes! :ROFLMAO:

On the other hand, I am getting better at shooting a 4:3 on a 3:2 sensor & judging the areas I don't need more accurately :)
4:3 is the secret to the MF look :) Maybe your camera has a setting for shooting in different aspect ratios or showing the frame guides?

The GFX is nice in that it offers

1:1
4:3
3:2
16:9
65:24
5:4
7:6

in camera

65:24 is quite addictive (and works well on a 3:2 sensor), but that all doesn't stop me cropping a lot of regular images to 16:10 :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
3:2, 16:9 for the A7 & a7Riii.

I think the X100f adds 1:1.

I don't know why more options aren't 'generally' available. Surely it's easy to add via software.....

Yes should be straightforward via software - I think with the GFX they opted for all of the traditional film medium format framings

1:1 - 6x6
3:2 - 8x6
7:6 - 7x6
3:2 - 9x6
65:24 - close to 17x6 and obviously that of the XPan

My GFX100S with 45-100 f4 and 20-35 f4 is a proper workout to take into the mountains but I do. It's worth it for me as the images from it actually still make me giggle when I look at them on a large 4k monitor. It's a proper landscape weapon.... But you do feel it in your back after a few miles in the Highlands.

My GFX100S with 45-100 f4 and 20-35 f4 is a proper workout to take into the mountains but I do. It's worth it for me as the images from it actually still make me giggle when I look at them on a large 4k monitor. It's a proper landscape weapon.... But you do feel it in your back after a few miles in the Highlands.

Any pics to share?

GF 55 f1.7

£1799 e-infinity

You going for it??
My initial enthusiasm has waned because Ive still got my Sony 50mm f1.2. So much overlap. If I get one I’d definitely want to shoot wide open portraits of my dogs. That means a camera with subject detect for me. So a huge decision about GFX MK2. As Ive mentioned before. ..actually I’m waffling aren’t I ?

My initial enthusiasm has waned because Ive still got my Sony 50mm f1.2. So much overlap. If I get one I’d definitely want to shoot wide open portraits of my dogs. That means a camera with subject detect for me. So a huge decision about GFX MK2. As Ive mentioned before. ..actually I’m waffling aren’t I ?

Running multiple systems is always a cause for headache overlaps! The 100 II is a stunning camera but its also a lot of ££££ and no matter how much better its AF tracking is, it won't match up with the latest Sony's - so for fast moving objects (dogs/granchildren/etc), the Sony combo will get more focus hits.

Running multiple systems is always a cause for headache overlaps! The 100 II is a stunning camera but its also a lot of ££££ and no matter how much better its AF tracking is, it won't match up with the latest Sony's - so for fast moving objects (dogs/granchildren/etc), the Sony combo will get more focus hits.
Can see me sticking with my 100s and GF 45. I’ve got a Canon FD 50f1.4 on standby.

I have the 100S with 20-35 f4, 45-100 f4 and a Nikon Z8 with a couple of their S lenses. I agree going across two platforms is expensive and not ideal but I have to say it's working for me and I'm happy with both. I just don't always take them both on the same trip.

I went to a store in Belgium and held gfx 50s ii (I think it was). 1k cashback is running.
Has anyone moved to this type of camera, and did you have to swap lenses or could you use an adapter?

Currently I am using a leica m10 and m mount lenses, a few m42 m39 and one nikon f mount lenses.

Just wondering if it is worth swapping.
If there is a good gfx lens, which would you recommend?

I went to a store in Belgium and held gfx 50s ii (I think it was). 1k cashback is running.
Has anyone moved to this type of camera, and did you have to swap lenses or could you use an adapter?

Currently I am using a leica m10 and m mount lenses, a few m42 m39 and one nikon f mount lenses.

Pesonally i'd stick with the M10, I bet you can manually focus faster than the GFX.......apologies to fuji fanboys in advance :ROFLMAO:

Hi @ecniv I have Leica M9s as well as GFX 50S, the two are worlds apart and I use them for different types of photography also I wouldn't like to put one above the other they are just different for different uses.

As for lenses, I don't think there are any bad GF lenses but for my use which is landscapes (mainly with my GFX) I have settled on 3 lenses, the 20-35, 32-64 and 100-200 which are all excellent lenses and give me all the focal lengths I need in the landscape.

Pesonally i'd stick with the M10, I bet you can manually focus faster than the GFX.......apologies to fuji fanboys in advance :ROFLMAO:
You may be able to @imattersuk but I certainly can't but FWIW I don't use AF in the landscape anyway. P.S. I'm more of a Leica M9 fanboy than I am a Fuji fanboy

I've ended up with two systems for different purposes. You can adapt lenses, and some do work well, but the native lenses are better. I've not found a bad GF lens; pick whichever one suits your needs.

They werent as helpful or jolly as the belgium bloke. And offered less for the m10 in exchange...
So now its down to whether to bother to change or not.
Is the M10 holding you back? Would GFX solve the issue? If no then I wouldn’t switch.

@TimHughes
With the adaptor - I assume its the lenses that are wider (radius in mm) that work better?
Just thinking that the smaller lenses will not be worth keeping on it - eg voigtlanders and lomography.
But the R lens / m42 might be wide enough to be used...
The are lists around it’s not a simple thing. For example the canon 40mm f2.8 pancake works remarkably well.

Back