DigitalRev shopping experience

Name
Wlod
Edit My Images
Yes
So I decided to make my first purchase from DigitalRev - Sony NEX 24mm F1.8 lens. I normally would rather pay a little more and purchase in the UK but unfortunately this lens is not in stock anywhere. DigitalRev initially accepted the order, after 2 days asked me to confirm the shipping address. Once confirmed they cancelled the order altogether offering bank transfer payment. Apparently they Security Department disliked my name but "Unfortunately, our security team is unable to provide us with the reasons to why they cannot process some orders"

I questioned the sense of them having dedicated thread on this forum in the past, they do not offer anything extra for forum members anyway.

Thank you DigitalRev! I won't be buying anything from you in the future. Not that you would like to do business with me anyway :p.
Somehow I have never had a problem with Amazon, Currys, Calumet, Jessops etc. I'll stick with them and my Sigma 30mm F2.8 for now.

Last edited:
I ordered a 600D from Digital Rev on Saturday.
They also wanted me to confirm my shipping address. Before I had time to reply I received an email saying my order had been shipped and will be with me by next monday.
Not too happy about the long dispatch time especially considering I am a forum member but we will see.
Maybe it'll arrive this week.

Ben

Hi,

Our security team does check every order before dispatching them. If any order didn't go through the security check, we can only request for bank transfer payment for those specific orders.

As forum members, we offer priority handling and information via forum sometimes do help with the security check; however, I would require forum members sending me the order #, so that we can have it in record.

Please feel free to send me order number via PM for any furture purchases.

I ordered a 600D from Digital Rev on Saturday.
They also wanted me to confirm my shipping address. Before I had time to reply I received an email saying my order had been shipped and will be with me by next monday.
Not too happy about the long dispatch time especially considering I am a forum member but we will see.
Maybe it'll arrive this week.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I have looked into your order and noticed that it was placed on Saturday. Sorry for the delay due to a long weekend on Monday, your order was processed and shipped immediately on Tuesday. :)

My camera arrived yesterday. Much earlier than estimated. Very happy. Thanks DigitalRev

My experience with DigitalRev has been good and Julia kept me informed on my order all the time, so positive feed back from me and would use them again.

I ordered a Nikon D5100 from them.
Series of emails asking for various "security" info.

I provided it, and then nothing.

I reconsidered and decided to order a D3100 instead (the camera is for my daughter) , but changed my mind when she said she would prefer the D5100.

Order placed again.
They did email me to ask why the order was cancelled and I advised them it was in error, hence why I re-ordered it.

Email to say it should be dispatched in 24 hours.

Now today, I find they unilaterally have cancelled the order.

Their telephone help line for the UK stops at 10am , so not much help.

Reviews either seem to be universally positive or very negative.
I must admit, I have ordered from HK many times and never had such problems.

Well, after a long phone call that was akin to the "Computer says no" sketch, and on line "chat"

It appears that...

1. my IP address has been blocked by their security dept for whatever reason
2. they refuse to accept credit card payment and want a bank transfer or debit card payment
3. they claim to have tried to contact me - odd given that my details and numbers were correct

I`d advise people to avoid this company.
They may be cheap, but if there is a problem, you would be better speaking to your computer.

I see other people have had good experiences, but, as someone who has been buying on line including from HK and China for years, I have never had such a poor experience.

MichaelJ said:
Well, after a long phone call that was akin to the "Computer says no" sketch, and on line "chat"

It appears that...

1. my IP address has been blocked by their security dept for whatever reason
2. they refuse to accept credit card payment and want a bank transfer or debit card payment
3. they claim to have tried to contact me - odd given that my details and numbers were correct

I`d advise people to avoid this company.
They may be cheap, but if there is a problem, you would be better speaking to your computer.

I see other people have had good experiences, but, as someone who has been buying on line including from HK and China for years, I have never had such a poor experience.

Unfortunately I had very similar experience (I created this thread). The good thing is I managed to buy the lens in the UK for exactly the same price and had it delivered next day with no fuss. Few weeks later I decided to buy a Sony flashgun. DigitalRev appeared to be amongst the cheapest in Froogle listing but I prefer to pay £5 extra rather than be treated like a criminal again.

I run an online store, Credit card payments only go through first time 8 times out of 10, even something like different billing address to shipping address, email address from different country to shipping address, new house postcode etc can cause the payment to be put in review, so dont feel like a criminal as the payment centres for the banks can be very difficult

matty said:
I run an online store, Credit card payments only go through first time 8 times out of 10, even something like different billing address to shipping address, email address from different country to shipping address, new house postcode etc can cause the payment to be put in review, so dont feel like a criminal as the payment centres for the banks can be very difficult

To add to this I used to work for a credit card company in customer service and the majority of card issues were caused by inept customers, by using the wrong address to what is on there card, wrong address details, wrong CVV, wrong date etc, hell you wouldn't believe the amount of times people entered the wrong PIN I even had a customer go on holiday with a card that had expired 2 years previous and then have a go at me because there card wouldn't work :bang: then to tell me that the new card was in there safe

I used digital rev and to be fair I can't complain. But just to get this right they just haven't sold to you, it's not like they took your money but didn't deliver!! There's so many threads of opposition companies just trying to slate them its silly!!

Sorry

I dont buy the excuse, as I was contacted by my credit card company to confirm that it was legit.

It appeared that the customer service people had no contact with the "security" dept and were powerless to help .

It was a circular conversation that went nowhere other than empty excuses.

I am disappointed as I have had good experiences with chinese sellers in the past.
I`m not prepared to use paypal (it seems that their "security concerns " are actually a ruse to force you to use paypal or bank transfer) outside of ebay with an overseas seller, certainly not for hundreds of pounds.

The fact that they have remained silent in response to my email says it all.
If you question their practices, they dont want your business.

Others should be aware that the distance selling activity we take for granted in the UK simply doesnt exist with this seller.

MichaelJ said:
Sorry

I dont buy the excuse, as I was contacted by my credit card company to confirm that it was legit.

It appeared that the customer service people had no contact with the "security" dept and were powerless to help .

It was a circular conversation that went nowhere other than empty excuses.

I am disappointed as I have had good experiences with chinese sellers in the past.
I`m not prepared to use paypal (it seems that their "security concerns " are actually a ruse to force you to use paypal or bank transfer) outside of ebay with an overseas seller, certainly not for hundreds of pounds.

The fact that they have remained silent in response to my email says it all.
If you question their practices, they dont want your business.

Others should be aware that the distance selling activity we take for granted in the UK simply doesnt exist with this seller.

The fact that they have not respond to email may have something to do with it being the weekend, if they have a security concern they're quite rightly not going to disclose what it is to someone that they're rightly or wrongly are concerned is a fraudster, let's face it why tip them off to a potential issue that could help them gain goods, if you were to turn out to be a fraudster they would then loose goods and funds when a charge back were performed :shake: so they wanted to make you use a method that reduces there risk, that seems perfectly sensible to me

Am I going mad or am I reading that someone is advising us to avoid digital rev because they could not take there money for security reasons! I understand the communication is an issue but this may be down to time difference and being able to contact the source of the hold up. Personally I would feel more secure knowing security is in place.

I ordered a Nikon D5100 from them.
Series of emails asking for various "security" info.

I provided it, and then nothing.

I reconsidered and decided to order a D3100 instead (the camera is for my daughter) , but changed my mind when she said she would prefer the D5100.

Order placed again.
They did email me to ask why the order was cancelled and I advised them it was in error, hence why I re-ordered it.

Email to say it should be dispatched in 24 hours.

Now today, I find they unilaterally have cancelled the order.

Their telephone help line for the UK stops at 10am , so not much help.

Reviews either seem to be universally positive or very negative.
I must admit, I have ordered from HK many times and never had such problems.

interesting first posts
did you join up yesterday especially to have a moan about DR
seems a little suspicious to me :thinking:

Am I going mad or am I reading that someone is advising us to avoid digital rev because they could not take there money for security reasons! I understand the communication is an issue but this may be down to time difference and being able to contact the source of the hold up. Personally I would feel more secure knowing security is in place.

It has nothing to do with security really. They simply decided not to sell to certain customers for no obvious reasons, which they are unable to explain. Instead they want the customer to use a bank transfer which leaves him completely defenceless in case of any problem.
If it was real security problem (transaction blocked by the bank/credit company or similar) surely they would ask you to resolve it first. But they don't.

It has nothing to do with security really. They simply decided not to sell to certain customers for no obvious reasons, which they are unable to explain. Instead they want the customer to use a bank transfer which leaves him completely defenceless in case of any problem.
If it was real security problem (transaction blocked by the bank/credit company or similar) surely they would ask you to resolve it first. But they don't.

I love how you can say that with such certainty :LOL: my comments have come from experience in the credit card sector, where I dealt with fraud risks every single day, we would never give out too much information as to why things have been blocked, declined etc, it's just not how we worked, often or not front line staff would only be told it had been declined with little to no specific data as to why it has been declined, this was for good reason...

interesting first posts
did you join up yesterday especially to have a moan about DR
seems a little suspicious to me :thinking:

;) I wonder why is that?

I must admit I feel exactly the same as you when I see new members posting like this!!!! I will be buying soon and will happily buy from DigitalRev having been well assured from reading so many favorable posts on the forum.

I`m not a troll , and I discovered this thread after doing a google search for experiences with digitalrev.

I have heard from them and they mentioned this post.

Sadly they are still demanding I use paypal or bank transfer.

I have other vendors in mind, but I did want to give digitalrev a little time to see if they were prepared to improve their customer service.

Simply coming on here, having a moan then buggering off wouldnt have been fair.

Sadly, whilst their emails are polite and apologetic, they dont actually deal with the issue.
For purchases of this value I only ever use credit card , period.

I get free insurance and more protection than paypal would ever offer.

I am sad that instead of actually bending over backwards to keep an honest customer who is prepared to buy from them , again they seem to have not understood the issue.

I'm new to the forum I ordered a 600ex-rt came 3 days after Dhl tracked to Scotland then I decided when I got it to but another and an ste3 order last Friday got it on Monday again tracked with Dhl superb service that's my experience

I`m not a troll , and I discovered this thread after doing a google search for experiences with digitalrev.

I have other vendors in mind, but I did want to give digitalrev a little time to see if they were prepared to improve their customer service.

Sadly, whilst their emails are polite and apologetic, they dont actually deal with the issue.

I am sad that instead of actually bending over backwards to keep an honest customer who is prepared to buy from them , again they seem to have not understood the issue.

I don't understand why you are making such a fuss about this. DR insist on Paypal or bank transfer, and you're only prepared to pay with a credit card because of the extra protection it gives you. Fair enough. No willing buyer/willing seller, so order from one of the other vendors you mentioned. DR will lose a sale, but they're obviously prepared to take that risk, so why should you worry about it?

MartynK said:
I don't understand why you are making such a fuss about this. DR insist on Paypal or bank transfer, and you're only prepared to pay with a credit card because of the extra protection it gives you. Fair enough. No willing buyer/willing seller, so order from one of the other vendors you mentioned. DR will lose a sale, but they're obviously prepared to take that risk, so why should you worry about it?

Exactly, if you will only use your credit card (understandable if its a lot of money) then buy from somewhere else? Pointless complaining about it on here it won't get you anywhere?

This is purely speculation, and I may be way off, but if they are not a vat registered company that may be one reason they won't accept a credit card payment, why not do a search for digitalrev on here, I'm sure there's plenty of people who have used them with no problems

Because there is no protection by the credit card company then......

Heather
but you have pay pal protection at least
doesn't appear to me that if you buy from DR or panamoz that you need any card protection
They deliver and deal with any warranty issues any way from what I have read

Digital rev do accept credit card payments.

I did pay by credit card , but they cancelled the sale.

Yes, there are positive reviews of digitalrev, but equally 10 minutes with google will tell you that others have had poor experiences, the OP for one.

I`m surprised that some of you are taking criticism of this company so personally.

Surely bad experiences are as important to report as good ones?

MichaelJ said:

MichaelJ said:
Digital rev do accept credit card payments.

I did pay by credit card , but they cancelled the sale.

Yes, there are positive reviews of digitalrev, but equally 10 minutes with google will tell you that others have had poor experiences, the OP for one.

I`m surprised that some of you are taking criticism of this company so personally.

Surely bad experiences are as important to report as good ones?

I'm going to read between the lines on this one as I don't know all the details as i have no affiliation to DR but basically DR have some concerns over the security of your payment for what ever reason, as a result they're not willing to proceed with the most high risk transaction to them, they're not going to tell you what there concerns are, because if you were a fraudster, you could the come back having rectified the gap in your details that causes the concern to DR...look at it from there prospective would you risk a several hundred/thousand pound transaction where profit will be a single figure percentage if you have the slightest concern over it, if it goes bad the CC provider claims the funds back for the fraud victim, the fraudster gets goods and DR have to sell may 20 units just to make back what they lost on you :(

Ended up buying from Portusdigital

Similar price , and arrived by Royal Mail special delivery next day after dispatch, so no complaints.
Its a great little camera.

Back