Diploma in Professional Photography (DiPP) - inst.org

Not all modules have an assignment at the end. Some are optional which you do not have to submit.

^This is correct.
Having a look out of 28 Modules there are 14 "Marked" Assignments which you have to submit to your tutor, 12 of them require photo submissions and are graded/scored, two are written only and also graded/scored (if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me).
There are Exercises to do in every module where you’re basically putting into practice what you’re learning as you go and there are also some unmarked Assignments which are optional but like the unmarked assignments are practice.

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for a little bit of advice.
I’m thinking of signing up to this course but I’m a little apprehensive at the moment. At the moment I am working in Kandahar Afghanistan and will be for the next year and possibly longer so I think I will be struggling to get the shots I would need for some of the assignments I would need to do. Being out here gives me plenty of time to get on and do the course with little distraction but I feel I am limited in what I can shoot. I do get back to the UK every 3 months so I was thinking, if I shoot as much as I can when I am back home then I can always PP the pictures once I return back to Kandahar.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I'd say if you have free time whilst your abroad then you'll be able to cover a large part of the course just fine. You’re not expected to submit photos that could feature in a MagnumPhotos Portfolio, all you need to show is that you understand what you're learning and are able to take photos which demonstrate so where required for the Assignments.
As I mention above, there are Exercises in each Module where you practice what your learning, you can take photos of whatever you want for them as they aren’t marked, your just practicing. Of course if you have the time there’s no reason not to put a bit more effort into the unmarked work, it can only help improve your photography skills more. For the Assignments (marked work) I put in a lot more effort to try and produce the best photos I can ... I'm no pro though, but I am getting as much as I can from the course whilst balancing a very busy home and work life - there were three months where I didn’t even get time to look at the course :(

There’s no time limit to complete the course. I'd say Modules 1 to 6 should be done in order and that Modules 7 to 23 you could probably do in any order you wanted given your situation, maximising what you get done away from home and leaving less to worry about and get done back home. I'm sure a tutor would understand your situation if explained from the outset, if in doubt contact the Blackford Centre before signing up and check with them.

BTW I don’t work for them, just trying to be helpful :)

Update:

Have one of the five photos done for Assignment 5, away on holiday soon and have some ideas for three more, but I cant think of anything for the 5th photo as yet... I'm sure something will come to me once I've taken the others! Fingers crossed for some fair weather :)

Sounds like you are progressing well :)

I am on the travel/tourism module which is proving a bit more difficult but I am enjoying the course and definitely learning a lot! :)

That’s some great info thank you guys.
I will be back in the UK next month and will speak to them as you say before I order the course. Looking through the modules I think I can get my head into most of them from over here. The ones where I need certain shots for some of the modules that I can’t get in this sand pit I can wait until I am in Dubai or back in the UK.
Thanks again for your advice.

I am on the travel/tourism module which is proving a bit more difficult but I am enjoying the course and definitely learning a lot! :)

Also on this module, struggling to get the right type of images to submit. Looking at the "what's on" guide for the area to see if I can get it completed this weekend.

steve

Slowly getting there, hope to get the Tourism Module out the way before the summer ends!!

Also on this module, struggling to get the right type of images to submit. Looking at the "what's on" guide for the area to see if I can get it completed this weekend.

steve

Good luck :)

Subscribed, and pushed the buy button today. Well the one for the 'scrubbed' version anyway. :) I have looked into all the different courses available online over the last few months but could never make up my mind which is best for my needs. Finally chose this one, hope I've made the right decision. lol Already got my login details and tutors name and just a few mins ago got an email saying my coursework was ready to be sent out and should be delivered in a couple of days.

Can I ask those that are doing this course what they feel is the best way to submit your assignments for grading? Through this and the other thread folks are mentioning blogs, flickr and plain old email. If using a blog where do you recommend getting it from? I have a blog that came with my zenfolio website but that ones public and I'd rather not use that for my course.

I submit mine by word document, image bb code from flickr pasted into the document. This way you don't have to compress images below 1MB. Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks guys, I believe I have the same tutor as both of you going by your previous posts so I'll use the same format. Although in my email I was given his name, well surname at least I wasn't given his email address. Guessing I'm given that once I start.

I haven't had a tutor introduction email yet, I was only given his surname in the email with the link for getting the online access to the course. I'll give it a couple of days to see if it appears, if not I'll pm you. (y)

Completed the Module 3 assignment and got a B+ which I was happy with as I took a bit of a gamble on it. More importantly the feedback from my tutor was excellent and pointed out a couple of things I should have spotted myself. Over the last week or so I've worked through the exercises for Modules 4 and 5 and now ready to attempt the assignment for Module 5. I cannot decide what to do for this one though, I have a couple of ideas but unsure if they fulfil the assignment brief... :thinking: Greg and Steve you both have a pm!

How is everyone getting on with this? I must admit that I've been slacking recently, I haven't submitted anything since June!

Need to get my butt in gear and get going again. I'm on the landscape module but it's not an area I'm very interested in which doesn't help lol! :)

How is everyone getting on with this? I must admit that I've been slacking recently, I haven't submitted anything since June!

Need to get my butt in gear and get going again. I'm on the landscape module but it's not an area I'm very interested in which doesn't help lol! :)

I know what you mean Sarah, got stuck in a rut with the tourism module. Did your shots include people?

Landscape not my thing either but I am looking forward to it, ONCE this one is out of the way.

good luck

Steve

Good to see everyone is making progress.
I'm Still on the Tourism one ... only because the missus has allocated my free time to other duties, missed out on an event last weekend which annoyed me quite a bit, busy this weekend coming and next weekend I bet you it'll pee it down ... just when I've got the weekend free! Got a few ideas, just need the time to get out there, its so frustrating!!

Looks like we are all around the same point, I just completed Module 5 and was very pleased with my grade. Reading through Modules 6 and 7 now as I'm at work (oil platform) for the next 2 weeks so cannot do anything with the camera. I will be able to get on with the research exercises in Module 7 though. :)

Last edited:
Tourism module submitted at long last, waiting for the marks, but got some motivation to press on.

Well I finally signed up for the course and received all the books the next day. It looks like a lot of reading is in order. Off back to Kandahar tomorrow so looking forward to getting my head into the course but not so much the sand pit.

Thanks for all the advice and positive comments you guys have all given me in helping me decide to take the course. It will be interesting as to what photos I will be taking when everything is the same out there. The tourism module will be fun. How could I make Afghanistan look like a place to spend a holiday…..that is a challenge.

Tourism module submitted at long last, waiting for the marks, but got some motivation to press on.

Hope you get a decent grade! I'm putting together the first exercise for Module 7 just now, although finding that it hasn't really explained how you would structure a proposal for the portfolio to make it acceptable. Maybe I'm overthinking it though. I've sneaked a peek at the actual assignment task and this is going to be difficult as there is absolutely nothing I can think of that would make you want to visit my village! :tumbleweed:

Dixel: Good luck with it! I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable. (y)

Gary

I thought the same, google is your best friend. I live in a small town, but I covered the borough which made the job a little easier. I also got the local tourist board to send their " what's on" to give me ideas. Been a long slog mind, not my think but got there.

Good luck

Steve

Tourism mark back, B +. Great feedback.

Gladly take this as this was a real struggle.

Nature and landscapes next, more in line with what I enjoy.

Good luck everyone

Steve

Hi folks, i'm from Trinidad and i am really interested in this course. Would you recommend it for a novice ?

Hi everyone,

I came across this Forum via online research into the course. I've since enrolled and have yet to submit an assignment. I completed a home study course in digital photography a while back and my tutor on that course was Jeremy Webb. Anyway, I know that the majority of you are assignments ahead but it would be great to interact. The tutor I have been assigned is Graham Light.

A little about me... my professional background is in Education. I am creative-orientated by nature and have been using a D-SLR since 2006-ish. I love all kinds of photography really: street scenes, portraiture, landscape, fine art... Anyway, hello!!!

Hi folks, i'm from Trinidad and i am really interested in this course. Would you recommend it for a novice ?

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forums!
Depends really on your skill level and the type of camera you own. If you are very new to photography and only have a compact camera then it would be beneficial to look at a course aimed at the novice/beginner, if you already own a DSLR camera and have a basic understanding of how to use it then this is a good course to do.
You would really need an entry level DSLR (or camera with similar controls) to make the most of this course.
Hope that helps!

Hi everyone,

I came across this Forum via online research into the course. I've since enrolled and have yet to submit an assignment. I completed a home study course in digital photography a while back and my tutor on that course was Jeremy Webb. Anyway, I know that the majority of you are assignments ahead but it would be great to interact. The tutor I have been assigned is Graham Light.

A little about me... my professional background is in Education. I am creative-orientated by nature and have been using a D-SLR since 2006-ish. I love all kinds of photography really: street scenes, portraiture, landscape, fine art... Anyway, hello!!!

Hi Candice, welcome also to the forum! It wont take you long to get going, I think most of us in this thread are not that far in to the course, its taking me ages then there are others who are starting to make some good progress. Good luck and if you get stuck just ask :)

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum. I agree with what Kevin says. It will be best to have a DSLR if you want to get through this course to obtain the full benefit it offers. Good luck if you do sign up for it I know you will get plenty of support and advice from the guys and gals on here.

Hi everyone,

Hi Candice, don’t worry about just starting the course I’m as new as you and have just sent my first assignment in.

I signed up for the course after coming across this site and asking some questions about it before I took the plunge. The reply’s I got were encouraging and helped me make the decision to go ahead with it. The big dilemma I had was the fact that I am currently working in Kandahar, Afghanistan at the moment and only get leave back to the UK every 3 months. It is difficult to photograph out here because of the military restrictions on what can and can’t be photographed. Looking at the assignments I think I will have trouble completing some of them while I am here so will just have to wait until I am back on leave to get the pictures I need. My tutor is Michael Taylor so will be corresponding with him more once I have my results back.

Keep us all informed as to how you are progressing and ask any questions you need, someone here will reply with an answer or guidance as needed.

Good luck anyway and welcome.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Well, I've just sent the first assignment. It's amazing the sense of relief that's experienced when you hit 'send' and that paper aeroplane flies off into the aether! :)

On the subject of D-SLR body, Kevin...

I agree with what has already been said in that respect. I first started with a bridge camera but learned quickly its limitations. D-SLR is the way to go and choose something that you can live with and grow. I know that's difficult in today's fast paced, ever changing digital upgrade market. The truth is, the best bit of kit you shall ever invest your money is your lenses. (y)

Hi Candice, don’t worry about just starting the course I’m as new as you and have just sent my first assignment in.

I signed up for the course after coming across this site and asking some questions about it before I took the plunge. The reply’s I got were encouraging and helped me make the decision to go ahead with it. The big dilemma I had was the fact that I am currently working in Kandahar, Afghanistan at the moment and only get leave back to the UK every 3 months. It is difficult to photograph out here because of the military restrictions on what can and can’t be photographed. Looking at the assignments I think I will have trouble completing some of them while I am here so will just have to wait until I am back on leave to get the pictures I need. My tutor is Michael Taylor so will be corresponding with him more once I have my results back.

Keep us all informed as to how you are progressing and ask any questions you need, someone here will reply with an answer or guidance as needed.

Good luck anyway and welcome.

Damn! I just discovered how to quote messages. Anyway, I'll keep all updated and same goes here, I'll help where I can. Anyone shoot 35mm film here?

Tourism done and dusted. :)
Happy with my grade and feedback was great.
The day I shot mine it had rained overnight and the sky was a lifeless grey and hazy. I almost decided not to shoot but due to work commitments if I didn't shoot on that day it was going to be 3 weeks till I could again so I gambled and went ahead with it. My tutor did not mark me down due to the weather conditions in my images. Thought it worth mentioning that you don't need to wait for that perfect sunny day! (y)

How's everyone getting on?

Damn! I just discovered how to quote messages. Anyway, I'll keep all updated and same goes here, I'll help where I can. Anyone shoot 35mm film here?

Sorry, only film camera I have is an old box brownie. Still havent got round to deleoping the rolls...

The day I shot mine it had rained overnight and the sky was a lifeless grey and hazy. I almost decided not to shoot but due to work commitments if I didn't shoot on that day it was going to be 3 weeks till I could again so I gambled and went ahead with it. My tutor did not mark me down due to the weather conditions in my images. Thought it worth mentioning that you don't need to wait for that perfect sunny day! (y)

I need to get my backside in gear, thats home I'm getting on :D
Glad you managed to get your Tourism done in one go, having to do mine in several goes.

Last edited:
Hi guys a bit of advice please, I'm looking to order my 1st dslr, i'm leaning towards the nikon d5200. would this be a good choice as a beginner

Last edited:
I need to get my backside in gear, thats home I'm getting on :D
Glad you managed to get your Tourism done in one go, having to do mine in several goes.

Suppose it depends on the distance etc between your locations and the scenes your capturing. Mine were all within around a 30km radius and I made a plan as to what times of day I wanted to be in the different areas to catch the right amounts of people and activites. Started at about 9am and got home just after 4pm in the afternoon. Then spent the rest of the day pouring over them trying to decide which ones to use. :LOL:

Hi guys a bit of advice please, I'm looking to order my 1st dslr, i'm leaning towards the nikon d5200. would this be a good choice as a beginner

Kevin, you'd be best to start a thread in the equipment section for advice. More people will see it there. (y)

Hi Kevin,

This is something that my own father taught me:

1. Assess your budget.
2. Look at cameras in that price bracket and
3. Research them online...look at reviews, features, etc.
4. If you can, go to a store where you can look at them/compare... what does each feel like in the hand, are the controls intuitive and so on. Does the camera enable you to grow with it? What I mean is, in a year's time ensure that you don't regret your purchase.

Go for what you can afford, but don't blow your entire budget on a camera body because the biggest investment you will make is in good quality glass (i.e. lenses). Choosing a D-SLR is different to picking up a point and shoot. A D-SLR is a commitment to buying into a 'system'. If you go with Nikon and love that set-up then you will e.g. invest in good quality Nikkor lenses. In time, the camera body might pack up altogether or, you might want to go for the top-of-the-range Nikon because you have a super duper budget. (It is possible.) The fact that you have invested in quality lenses will mean that they can be used on your pro body Nikon. Do you understand what I am getting at?

Now some people think that there are only two camera manufacturers: Canon and Nikon. There are more out there but accessories are often cheaper and easier to source for the likes of Canon and Nikon. So you have to do your homework on reading, researching and combine that with what feels right for you. Don't make a judgement from looking online alone. You MUST hold that camera first. I don't know if other members on here will agree, but there is something special about holding a camera for which you feel an instant attachment, bond (or, is that just me being a soppy, sentimental female?)

Oh, one thing to note; ensure the camera has PASM (Program, Aperture, Shutter and Manual) on the exposure program dial. I think this translates to Pentax/Canon A = Av, S= Tv - or something like that. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly because I'm a Sony user. Anyway, these are the features you will be using on the course and not those silly auto condition-type settings such as 'night portrait', 'sport' and all that rubbish. :bonk:

OK, I'll stop rambling and get off my soap box. Good luck with the camera hunt. :)

Sorry, only film camera I have is an old box brownie. Still havent got round to deleoping the rolls...

Ah... well, I haven't used the old Box Brownie so you got one up on me there. I picked up an original Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, no light meter working and thought 'what the hell' and was blown away by the quality of the Super Takumar lens. I've got another Pentax, a very cute little MX, a Minolta rangefinder, Nikon F3. The F3 is lovely to hold and use.

I got my first assignment completed very quickly and received really positive feedback the same day. I was truly impressed but my tutor explained that he was clearing his workload before going to New York. Submitted the second assignment last Thursday and, currently planning Assignment 5 - five versions of the same photo. I'm going to experiment using a still life set-up that involves studio and some outdoor wizardry... well, that's the plan but I'll keep all posted on my progress.:)

Back