DIY hood for macro flash diffuser

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm awaiting a Pope Shield diffuser to be delivered.

At the point of ordering (2 months ago!) I wasn't aware you could get the hood to encapsulate the light from the flash (or rather didn't spot it in the shop).

My question is do you think I could fashion one out of old softbox material that I'll not use again?

After all it's black on the outside and silver reflective on the inside.

Maybe buy a couple of "poppers" for each side with some strong string and I should be there.

Anyone done this or have they just bought the hood with the diffuser?

I'm not tight on money, it's the time for delevery from Pope Shield that puts me off ordering from them again. I may just miss the early Autumn fungi etc.

Terry.

There's no reason why it can't be done :)

I started out with just a sheet of paper and tissue ;)

Some cheap ones off amazon work well.
It's just the hood I'm thinking of making Gav.

I'm waiting for the diffuser to arrive (if it ever does).

I'm waiting for the diffuser to arrive (if it ever does).
Me too. Although his webpages state that due to demand, he was having new machinery fitted recently to speed things up. (fingers crossed )

Me too. Although his webpages state that due to demand, he was having new machinery fitted recently to speed things up. (fingers crossed )
I've been in contact via WhatsApp with Lukas and the tracking number still doesn't work, despite the items being collected by the courier on Monday (apparently).

I'll see what he says later.

He was going to chase it up for me today.

By this rate all the bugs will have gone to sleep.

Reactions: mex
IDT there is much benefit to the cover... I wouldn't worry about it.
Apparently during the tests performed by a YouTube guy there's an increase if you use the hood as the inside is reflective silver compared to without.

Flash alone as the datum point.

Flash with the Pope Shield diffuser -1 stop.

Flash with diffuser AND hood +2/3rds stop.

Apparently during the tests performed by a YouTube guy there's an increase if you use the hood as the inside is reflective silver compared to without.

Flash alone as the datum point.

Flash with the Pope Shield diffuser -1 stop.

Flash with diffuser AND hood +2/3rds stop.
Doesn't make much sense unless the flash wasn't actually pointed at the diffuser, or if it didn't have a fresnel lens.

Doesn't make much sense unless the flash wasn't actually pointed at the diffuser, or if it didn't have a fresnel lens.
Obviously the hood stops the light spill and reflects it so a 2 way gain.

Seems to work in my head.

The tests were carried out with a light meter.

Obviously the hood stops the light spill and reflects it so a 2 way gain.

Seems to work in my head.

The tests were carried out with a light meter.
Sure, if there is a lot of spill not falling on the diffuser... I suppose it could even be beneficial with that diffuser to put the wide angle panel down on the flash to create more spread, and use the hood to direct more of that light to the lower sides.

Sure, if there is a lot of spill not falling on the diffuser... I suppose it could even be beneficial with that diffuser to put the wide angle panel down on the flash to create more spread, and use the hood to direct more of that light to the lower sides.
Yes Steven I use the wide angle panel all the time for macro. As large a light source as possible.

I've been in contact via WhatsApp with Lukas and the tracking number still doesn't work, despite the items being collected by the courier on Monday (apparently).

I'll see what he says later.

He was going to chase it up for me today.

By this rate all the bugs will have gone to sleep.
Any news on your diffuser yet?

And it's landed I think.
Let me know your thoughts on it please. I've decided to knock one up from a plan on the net until mine turns up, if I don't I fancy it will be too late for this year.

Let me know your thoughts on it please. I've decided to knock one up from a plan on the net until mine turns up, if I don't I fancy it will be too late for this year.
Will do Nigel.

Tracking says now in UK so hoping it won't be long now.

I'm looking forward to the mushrooms as it's almost too late for the insects.

Well Nigel it arrived and I'm very happy with it.

In fact I don't need to build a hood for it as I remembered I have a Flashbender 2 which when strapped to the flash works perfectly as a hood and reflects the light really well.

As soon as I can "open as layers in Photoshop" again I'll post a stacked result. Just a test mind.

Apparently there's a bug in Photoshop beta 25.0 that stops you opening in PS as layers.

Well Nigel it arrived and I'm very happy with it.

In fact I don't need to build a hood for it as I remembered I have a Flashbender 2 which when strapped to the flash works perfectly as a hood and reflects the light really well.

As soon as I can "open as layers in Photoshop" again I'll post a stacked result. Just a test mind.

Apparently there's a bug in Photoshop beta 25.0 that stops you opening in PS as layers.

Great news, glad you are happy with it. Mine is still 'proccesing' so I fancy it'll be a while.

for anyone else, I stumbled across this Facebook group, plenty of people sharing plans and materials etc

for anyone else, I stumbled across this Facebook group, plenty of people sharing plans and materials etc

I'm on there.

The trouble with that group is whenever anyone posts photos using their DIY diffusers everyone comments positively, when most of the resulting images have bloody big hotspots on the subjects.

I made the mistake of pointing out the flaws with one design and got flamed.

I'll not bother in future.

Great news, glad you are happy with it. Mine is still 'proccesing' so I fancy it'll be a while.
Did it arrive @mex ?

I want a Raynox now but don't want to order the extra magnets from Pope Shield as the waiting time is a little long.

Apparently you need 6mm round by 8mm long magnets which are readily available on Amazon.

Did it arrive @mex ?

I want a Raynox now but don't want to order the extra magnets from Pope Shield as the waiting time is a little long.

Apparently you need 6mm round by 8mm long magnets which are readily available on Amazon.

Not turned up yet, nearly 6 weeks now! I ordered the magnets anyway for my Raynox. A friend in my camera club bought this one and very nice it is too.
https://www.macrodiffuser.com/

Did it arrive @mex ?

Well mine finally turned up, only 14 weeks after placing my order. Initially I thought it was pretty decent but within a few days one of the screw receivers on the diffuser had come free of the plastic , I've now glued all of the receivers in! ....time will tell.

Back