Do I need an iPhone & an iPad??

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't think I do....

I have been paying £35 a month for an iPhone tarrif on o2 - and am now paying £10 a month for an iPad data tariff.

Seriously considering cancelling the iPhone tariff, and getting a PAYG cheapy phone & sim - the sort where you top up a tenner and then get free mins and/or texts.

I would then be able to free up around £300 through selling my iPhone to spend on camera gear plus save around £25 a month (y)

The only scenario I can think where I would miss my iPhone now I have an iPad is when standing in a shop and want to 'research' something on the internet - like a price or spec for example. Wouldn't necessarily have the iPad with me at the time.

Get a sim only deal with Voda just as an example.
300mins, unlimited texts and unlim internet on the iPhone for £15 a month
plus £10 per month for the iPad, that's £25 a month compared to £45

If you're gonna be taking your iPad with you when you go out with your camera then great, otherwise I find some apps on my iPhone extremely useful timesavers when I'm out shooting.

And if you want to use something like Sun Scout (awesome for doing sunrise/sunset and timelapse stuff), you'll be screwed without an GPS/Compass (or does the 3G version of the iPad include those?)

If you're gonna be taking your iPad with you when you go out with your camera then great, otherwise I find some apps on my iPhone extremely useful timesavers when I'm out shooting.

And if you want to use something like Sun Scout (awesome for doing sunrise/sunset and timelapse stuff), you'll be screwed without an GPS/Compass (or does the 3G version of the iPad include those?)

I think both the wifi and 3G have GPS I know the 3G definitely does at least.

Sure I remember reading that the regular WiFi version didn't have the GPS, but I could be mistaken. :)

Edit : Yup, WiFi only version doesn't have a GPS

It seems when Apple list "WiFi + 3G Model" they mean that to be the highest end version that has 3G, the regular one they describe as "WiFi Model", although it appears that the WiFi only version might contain the appropriate hardware for it, it just isn't being utilised (perhaps to provide an extra selling point to the £100 price difference).

Interesting - I'd be looking to spend no more than that to be honest.

When the camera kit finally arrives for my iPad I do intend to take it out with me.

3G iPad does have 'assisted GPS' I believe but not a compass.

Keep the suggestions coming (y)

Apple said:
* Wi-Fi
* Digital compass
* Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
* Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

"WiFi + 3G Model" means the higher end model only. It means "the model that has WiFi and 3g", not "both the WiFi and 3G models". :)

So, the WiFi one has the compass, but only the WiFi+3G model has the GPS.

Oh sorry About that :LOL: I misread it as both the wifi and 3G models had it :bonk:

That's what Apple's marketing division wants you to believe. :)

and if you buy it through quidco.com you get £100 cash back for the o2 version (£65 for vodafone i think)

No, you don't "need" either. I don't own either and I don't suddenly stop breathing and I seem to manage to navigate my way through life without a app for that.

Now whether you "want" them and whether you see that you are getting enough value for your money , now that's a different question. ;)

I agree with the two ladies above.......(y)

I want a 200-400 F4, do I need it?........No.

I'm going to jump in and be the 4th, who says there's a difference between need and want.

Life does not revolve around a mobile phone (I know teenagers wont believe that), we were not in mud huts and savaging for food before the 80s and mobile tech came along.

I may aswell be the 5th then. I completely agree, I love being a techy person looking at all the new technology that is released into our economy, but I dont rush out to buy it.

I don't own either and I don't suddenly stop breathing and I seem to manage to navigate my way through life without a app for that.

On the other side of that there's always the old classic "You don't know what you got til you lose it". :)

Only you can say whether you need it or not.

or the one that says I'll know what I need when I start looking for it ;)

Come on Alison - we all know this is primarily a man thing! - and I'm as guilty as any!

Trying to resist the iPad until I go to the US at the start of August (and beyond if my wife has anything to do with it!)

Back