Do You Agree With That The "Lords Prayer" Advertisment Won't Be Shown in Some Cinemas?

That's clearly where pervert members of the clergy are going wrong.

True but seems like there are just as many perverts in radio and tv than any where lately :)

I would happily leave a child in a church but not a TV or Radio studio, no way hosay

Last edited:
Our local cinema in Winchester is a converted Church ........ dose that count!!!!

Yes, along with those that have become Bingo halls.

I quite like Churches and places of worship converted to public house type use. To me its people using the space who may or may not have Faith but it allows these beautiful buildings to be enjoyed by all.

The one I visit in Brighouse has the upstairs left intact and closed off where the organ and pews still stand intact, maybe waiting for the next congregation :)

There are quite a few old churches and chapels around here that have been sold and "repurposed". Flats, pubs, a theatre and nightclub. Recently, two more historic local churches were closed and now sit empty, their dwindling congregations dispersed amongst the remaining local churches.

I think it's a pity because they are unique buildings with a lot of history and even though the role of the Church in the community has shrunk over the years, these old churches still mean a lot to many people.

There are quite a few old churches and chapels around here that have been sold and "repurposed". Flats, pubs, a theatre and nightclub. Recently, two more historic local churches were closed and now sit empty, their dwindling congregations dispersed amongst the remaining local churches.

I think it's a pity because they are unique buildings with a lot of history and even though the role of the Church in the community has shrunk over the years, these old churches still mean a lot to many people.

Yes you are right and it must be a terrible loss to a congregation, I personally always feel a sadness. But as people will say they church is a wealthy organization and even as a person of faith myself I have to ask them to make the decision. If they cannot see any reason to keep them open then the accountants will have the day.

But faith is in the heart and the sole, the building is a place a conduit, a meeting place for like minded, that will always continue somewhere else :)

Yes you are right and it must be a terrible loss to a congregation, I personally always feel a sadness. But as people will say they church is a wealthy organization and even as a person of faith myself I have to ask them to make the decision. If they cannot see any reason to keep them open then the accountants will have the day.

But faith is in the heart and the sole, the building is a place a conduit, a meeting place for like minded, that will always continue somewhere else :)

Yes, I understand that outlook and have heard it said by a few of the old congregation that I know. I can't help feeling they're putting on a brave face though, as old people often do.

Personally, as a non-believer my love of the old buildings is purely architectural and historical. I visited York Minster this year, Canterbury Cathedral last year and Lichfield Cathedral a few years before that and spent a lot of time in each. Absolutely wonderful places.

Last edited:
There is nothing in the law that says people shold not be offended.
I find it is more offensive to to be held captive to watch commercial adds in cinemas.

I have no problem with adverts being shown, religious or otherwise, but by allowing one denomination to advertise you allow them all, and if that happened then it would be only a matter of time before popcorn-wars erupted in cinemas across the country. :D

Last edited:
There is nothing in the law that says people shold not be offended.
I find it is more offensive to to be held captive to watch commercial adds in cinemas.

yes that's true some of the rubbish being advertised at these places is grim.

doesnt matter, but it should be at an age where they can decide for themselves whether or not to believe it.

I don't know if you have children but if you do you presumably bring them up according to the standards and way of life that you believe to be right, then when they are 'of age' they can choose whether or not they want to follow the lead you have given them.

I know, I heard they are even trying to bring religion in Christmas!
What's all that about Eh?
This is not news! ;) Christianity started all that bringing religion in to Christmas off millenia ago, hijacking the old midwinter /solstice and yule festivals and bunging their own festival on around the same date to encourage acceptance of their god.

I don't know if you have children but if you do you presumably bring them up according to the standards and way of life that you believe to be right, then when they are 'of age' they can choose whether or not they want to follow the lead you have given them.
theres a difference between fundamental rights and wrongs, manners etc and choosing to believe the world was created by some all knowing being.

theres a difference between fundamental rights and wrongs, manners etc and choosing to believe the world was created by some all knowing being.

So presumably when saying, "it should be at an age where they can decide for themselves whether or not to believe it.", you mean as far as your children are concerned and not all children?

(Actually no need to answer unless you wish, I can't post in this thread without changing browser and it's just irritating.)

So presumably when saying, "it should be at an age where they can decide for themselves whether or not to believe it.", you mean as far as your children are concerned and not all children?

(Actually no need to answer unless you wish, I can't post in this thread without changing browser and it's just irritating.)

whats the thing about the browser?

funnily enough my postings from my home laptop wasn't working last night.

Yes, I understand that outlook and have heard it said by a few of the old congregation that I know. I can't help feeling they're putting on a brave face though, as old people often do.

Personally, as a non-believer my love of the old buildings is purely architectural and historical. I visited York Minster this year, Canterbury Cathedral last year and Lichfield Cathedral a few years before that and spent a lot of time in each. Absolutely wonderful places.

Just think of all the good the church could've done with the money they spent on creating those masterpieces though..

Its because the word advertising is at the top of the thread, some ad blockers erm block it, you can read but not post.

all children. i appreciate that would be hard for a religious family not to impose their beliefs on their offspring however.

chrome ad blocker seems to stop the thread actions working. firefox with the same plugin works okay.

Britain is a Christian country so I say it should be shown.
Only by apathy, i.e. no one has given enough of a f**k to make a push to deestablish the status quo.

Measured by attendance and viewing figures most premier league clubs have a significantly better claim to be nominated as the state religion.

Don't forget the imminent 7th coming of the Jedi...

Don't forget the imminent 7th coming of the Jedi...
I would have thought that Luke was getting a little old for that now ;)

Only by apathy, i.e. no one has given enough of a f**k to make a push to deestablish the status quo.

Measured by attendance and viewing figures most premier league clubs have a significantly better claim to be nominated as the state religion.
I doubt football has 33M unique visitors for their matches. 59% of the population declared themselves as Christian during the last census. That is not taking in account any of the other religions. It has to shrink by a considerable amount before the vocal minority is actually a majority.

#letskeepitreal

It has to shrink by a considerable amount before the vocal minority is actually a majority.
But apathy rules, you only have to look at past election results, and turn outs, to see that.

And as I've said before, over 60% of the countries voters didn't get what they wanted.

CON 36.9
LAB 30.4
UKIP 12.6
LD 7.9
SNP 4.7
GRN 3.8

What's the actual percentage of the population who attend church regularly though? (Once a year for midnight mass on commercialmas eve is regular but not what I mean!)

Chris, surely he'd use the force?

I doubt football has 33M unique visitors for their matches.
I doubt the CoE has 33m unique visitors attending a service in a year.

The census includes a lot of blood cultists christians-by-default who might manage hatches, matches and dispatches but little else. It also includes non-CoE christian denominations which dilutes the total further (and both the advert and the established church of the country only refer to the CoE).

I doubt the CoE has 33m unique visitors attending a service in a year.

The census includes a lot of blood cultists christians-by-default who might manage hatches, matches and dispatches but little else. It also includes non-CoE christian denominations which dilutes the total further (and both the advert and the established church of the country only refer to the CoE).
Ok let's put it forward as a question for the next census. Let's call them fans :)

The point is, these are people self declaring. Why would they declare they are if they are not?

A bit like Manchester United fans, I think most CofE followers are very casual, stay-at-home "fans" that only watch the big games (births, deaths & marriages).

A bit like Manchester United fans, I think most CofE followers are very casual, stay-at-home "fans" that only watch the big games (births, deaths & marriages).
I don't disagree, that is my assumption as well, but does that make them non Christian? They don't think it does as they declare themselves as Christian? And that is just the Christians there are many more non Christian faiths. In fact only a quarter described themselves as no religion, which included me :) even though I do go to church at times.

Last edited:
I don't disagree, that is my assumption as well, but does that make them non Christian?
The CoE is non-christian by at least one definition..

The CoE is non-christian by at least one definition..
Woosh did the goal posts just move? Point is what people declare themselves as. Only a quarter ticked the box as non religious (including myself). Yet some on here seem to talk like it is the vast majority. Doesn't make any sense to me.

How do you define 'Christian'?
If you tick a box on a form does that indicate you are truly a believer and follow the Christian teachings?

Back