Do You Agree With That The "Lords Prayer" Advertisment Won't Be Shown in Some Cinemas?

I have no problem with anyone peacefully following their chosen religion, but I personally don't want to see/listen to it.

it is a commercial decision - if they run one religious ad they would be exposed to legal action for discrimination if they refused another, i.e. one associated with another faith

Think I'll go to my local church and ask if I can deliver a sermon on the merits of Pastafarianism, (may his noodly tentacles enfold you).

They wouldn't deny my right to free speech, would they?

Think I'll go to my local church and ask if I can deliver a sermon on the merits of Pastafarianism, (may his noodly tentacles enfold you).

They wouldn't deny my right to free speech, would they?

Try a mosque instead and see what response you get......

Last edited:
Try a mosque instead and see what response you get......

Any religion would deny you to preach beliefs at polar opposites of those they hold dear in their place of worship.

Any particular reason you choose mosques as your suggestion as opposed to say a temple?

I'm disappointed that it'll not be shown and I do wonder what would have happened if another faith had tried to get an ad on, cynic that I am.

But I suppose that if this ad had been shown and had been a big hit there'd be an avalanche of ads for all of the God Squads out there... so sadly, I think that these ads should be limited to just a few if not banned although it does stick in my throat a bit that this one has been banned.

You should all step back and look at this slightly different..

Its an advert for something..

thats all..

A lot of things I see advertised I dont care or like... religeon is one.. nikon cameras is another..

Its just an advert

it is a commercial decision - if they run one religious ad they would be exposed to legal action for discrimination if they refused another, i.e. one associated with another faith
Oh good can't wait for the Scientology adds, oh wait they are within most blockbuster movies already. Huge product placement. Are they banning those as well?

Don't want to see any religious adverts whatever faith is being promoted

Bit hypocritical when the church are always pleading poverty, better ways to spend their cash I reckon

Don't want to see any religious adverts whatever faith is being promoted

Bit hypocritical when the church are always pleading poverty, better ways to spend their cash I reckon

Yes, one of the wealthiest organisations on the planet pleading poverty always raises a chuckle. :)

As a person of Faith myself I am not to fussed about it being shown or not shown. You do not attract people to your faith and beliefs via advertising in cinemas.
However people will always be welcome in the big house, most towns still have them :)

To answer the question after looking at the advert.....not bothered if they dont show it............But as long as they are fair in there policy.

the UK has changed ..... think back to the morning assembly when we were kids, (well when I was anyway!!!)

one or two were allowed to "opt out" for religious or whatever reasons .... now it would be the bloody lot of them!!!

some native species always always decline when invasive species are introduced, (probably should not have said that)

Last edited:
It's a cinema ad. Not so easy to ignore something that fills most of your vision and features digital surround sound. And they still haven't invented a cinema where you can control what's on the screen.
I don't go to the cinema to watch adverts. Just think about something else and don't look at the screen. It's surprisingly easy to filter out something that doesn't interest you. In fact I could be looking at the screen all the way through the advert and not take in anything that was actually happening on it if it was of no interest to me.

the UK has changed ..... think back to the morning assembly when we were kids, (well when I was anyway!!!)

one or two were allowed to "opt out" for religious or whatever reasons .... now it would be the bloody lot of them!!!
good.

personally i dont think children should be subjected to it until they are of an age where they can form an informed opinion of whether they choose to believe it.

I don't go to the cinema to watch adverts. Just think about something else and don't look at the screen. It's surprisingly easy to filter out something that doesn't interest you. In fact I could be looking at the screen all the way through the advert and not take in anything that was actually happening on it if it was of no interest to me.

You are awesome.

good.

personally i dont think children should be subjected to it until they are of an age where they can form an informed opinion of whether they choose to believe it.

how do they form an opinion - modern "religious" education classes, from schools, parents, the internet .. how should they be educated and informed ...... by the society around them?

my son went to church morning, afternoon each day, 7 days a week ........ part of the School, so did his wife ...... when they got married this year they married in a hotel

Last edited:
You are awesome.
You don't have to be awesome, just selective in your hearing and attention. Unless someone draws my attention to it, I can filter out the s***e music they play in the gym. I'm more aware of when there is none playing than when it is playing.

They played it on R4 yesterday - IMO pretty dull and poorly produced.

Then the interviewer suggested that the church had actually no intention of having it shown (after all the rules on cinema advertising aren't exactly a secret). Their plan all along was to get it "banned" to reach a wider audience for less money.

I think he has a point.

I agree with decision because I don't want ANY religion preaching to me in the cinema

I concur, but if there is to be religious adverts in cinemas then places of worship must also show adverts for films. It would be quite uplifting belting out a few verses of Rock of Ages whilst watching a trailer for The Omen.

I concur, but if there is to be religious adverts in cinemas then places of worship must also show adverts for films. It would be quite uplifting belting out a few verses of Rock of Ages whilst watching a trailer for The Omen.

Our local cinema in Winchester is a converted Church ........ dose that count!!!!

The blood of Christ and the body of Christ, could be beer and crisps as long as the thoughts are pure :)

Back