Do you bank with Santander - did you get an email like this?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I got an email from them (not with any funny names in the "from" line of the email just Santander PLC)

It starts with:

We have been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised use of the Santander Online Banking. As a result we are updating our new security Modules and making an extra security check on all of our customers, in order to protect their accounts from theft and fraud.
Our New banking security modules helps you to better protect your online accounts than ever before.

I dont usually use my Santander acc iirc its only got a £1 in it anyway..

So am just wondering if anyone else has got one.....

scam

Was ondring if it was but it did have my name in it an also like I said it was from Santander PLC (with no other names or letters in it)

I've deleted it now so cheers.... Now to get rid of the damm Paypal one as well now :bat:

the very language used in the content of the text screams "Nigerian 419" scam

Banks never send emails to their customers, so any email you get that claims to be a bank is always fraudulent.

Agreed, banks NEVER send you emails like that, the worse you might get is something advertising their services [insurance, ISA's, etc] but never anything regarding security, it is always phishing spam. Santander send me them all the time, as do Barclays and Nat West - which is pretty good considering I dont have an account of any kind with any of them. If you go to the banks website, they usually have a fraud contact email that you can forward these phishing emails to so they can try and track and trace, or at least have records of them.

I find it really funny that the only bank I don't 'receive emails from' is the one I actually bank with:LOL:

Santander is the current favourite:shake:

Banks never send emails to their customers, so any email you get that claims to be a bank is always fraudulent.

I AM a Santander customer and I DO get emails from them, quite a few actually. Every month I get an email to tell me my statement is online, changes in T's n Cs, and most of the others are offering loans/credit card/isa's/etc,etc. Also one email keeps asking me to download their own security software, which is genuine because I have checked with them.
I'm feeling quite left out actually because I have not had a phishing email!! :shake:

Last edited:
I AM a Santander customer and I DO get emails from them, quite a few actually. Every month I get an email to tell me my statement is online, changes in T's n Cs, and most of the others are offering loans/credit card/isa's/etc,etc.
I'm feeling quite left out actually because I have not had a phishing email!! :shake:

Post your email address on here - I can arrange it for you:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I think the main think to remember Banks will NEVER ask for your PIN details or ask you to confirm your security details via email.

I generally don't click on a link in the email, I'll go to the site independently if needed.

Well is a copy/paste of the contents;

Santander logo (top left in red/white)

To (my email address - obviously taken out)

We have been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised use of the Santander Online Banking. As a result we are updating our new security Modules and making an extra security check on all of our customers, in order to protect their accounts from theft and fraud.
Our New banking security modules helps you to better protect your online accounts than ever before.

What you need to do :

1.Log into your account here which becomes this link; professionalstylist.co.uk/inc/retail-santander.co.uk/LOGSUK_NS_ENS/
2.Enter your Personal ID and informations (that you selected during the online enrollement process).
3. Enter the requested verification informations (including Mobile Number).

However, Failure to do so may result in temporary account suspension. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any problems or questions, please call the Customers service number on the back of your Debit card.

Thank you for Banking with us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, Santander UK plc will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.
Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Well is a copy/paste of the contents;

Santander logo (top left in red/white)

To (my email address - obviously taken out)

What you need to do :

1.Log into your account here which becomes this link; professionalstylist.co.uk/inc/retail-santander.co.uk/LOGSUK_NS_ENS/
2.Enter your Personal ID and informations (that you selected during the online enrollement process).
3. Enter the requested verification informations (including Mobile Number).

However, Failure to do so may result in temporary account suspension. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any problems or questions, please call the Customers service number on the back of your Debit card.

Thank you for Banking with us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, Santander UK plc will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.
Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

I would suggest their inability to spell would be an indicator:LOL:

We have been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised use of the Santander Online Banking.
Would banks really say that?

When I log on to my internet banking I usually get the "update security" message, I would not expect them to contact me asking me to do this at any other time. I get loads of mail asking me to update my details, often from banks I don't deal with.

Using the Opera web-browser, there's a fraud warning for the professionalstylist.co.uk link.

Also using Opera, it's easy to report phishing websites to Netcraft.

Had this very same one at work today.... strange given we don't bank with Santander!

They aren't even that good at scamming.... having read the source code, the reply address is a hotmail account. I don't know about you, but I have a very slight suspicion that Santander can afford their own domain!

Had this very same one at work today.... strange given we don't bank with Santander!

They aren't even that good at scamming.... having read the source code, the reply address is a hotmail account. I don't know about you, but I have a very slight suspicion that Santander can afford their own domain!

They should be able to the charges we have to pay them!

Last edited:
Not a member either - and also received said email... in fact I get them regularly - and delete them on arrival.

I get at least 5 of them daily, and Im not with Santander. In fact I get emails purporting to be from every bank except the one I'm actually with.

Anyone who does receive these phishing emails should forward them to their own bank for investigation.
I bank with Santander, and I just forward the e-mail direct to them. There is an email address on their website with where to send it.
The more people that do it, the more these chancers will get caught. Scum.

thing is they are probably in nigeria or chechnya etc so they arent going to get 'caught' - worst that 'll happen is hotmail will turn their account off (and they'll then just generate another one)

GHP said:
Anyone who does receive these phishing emails should forward them to their own bank for investigation.
I bank with Santander, and I just forward the e-mail direct to them. There is an email address on their website with where to send it.
The more people that do it, the more these chancers will get caught. Scum.

I can set works spam filters to auto route the mail if you like :D

I got that one. I just delete them.

One way to deal with them would be to have a thunderbird/outlook plug in that sends fake information to scam sites so they'd have to wade through tons of crap and never actually get any real details :)

One way to deal with them would be to have a thunderbird/outlook plug in that sends fake information

There's the Netcraft toolbar (built into Opera) that allows phishing sites to be reported and displays a fraud warning which cannot be ignored. While it doesn't deal with the source of the spam, it can protect the unwary when they click links such as: http://chtz.coordinates.ru/Doc/gau/login.html?webscr=cmd_login

OpenDNS will also act on reported phishing sites, and block them.

Back