Dog walkers gggrrrrrr

Lol, that glass of wine we said we'd have - will definitely have to be in the City then. The times it annoys me most is when I'm trying to duck away from the dog and asking the owner to call it away from me.

Lol, that glass of wine we said we'd have - will definitely have to be in the City then. The times it annoys me most is when I'm trying to duck away from the dog and asking the owner to call it away from me.

isn't it always in the City? :D Just need you back mobile miss!

Dogs should not be exercised or walked purely on a lead - they need to run, and explore. A long lead or an extending lead is not a substitute for off lead.

If you have kids they should be taught how to treat, respect and approach animals.

Neither dogs nor kids should be taken as a right to have, and both need to be "trained", or taught correct behaviour, through positive re-inforcement.

I have both, and love seeing them running / cycling freely confident in the knowledge they all know how to behave and will not upset other dogs, kids, or pedestrians / cyclists.

Although in dangerous areas (by roads or in town) the dog is on it's lead, and the kids hold parents hands.

As usual, the minority spoiling for everyone else.

My son loves dogs and went walking up to a dog on a lead, closely chased by me to get hold of him and the dog owner looked at me and said "My dog isn't friendly". I nodded and took my son away.

This is what scares me:( Smart move, and of course possibly a close one.

It's getting the balance that is very difficult, not easy:shake: The problem is, you dont know what any animal will do, neither do any owners (regardless what some will say).

I'm not fanatical about dogs either (I dont love or hate them, just indifferent to be honest). I try hard to avoid the kids being scared though, and look at the bigger picture, I wish the owners involved in my experiences had stodd back and had a look at the bigger picture.

Please dont compare kids giving cuddles with bad dog owners....really...:shake:

How do suggest I react then when your 'friendly' dogs run towards my 6 month old?

Please, I am seriously interested in this.

Using phrases like 'boisterous' 'affectionate' .....'loveable' friendly' cuddly' 'droopy eyes' or however soppy it is made to sound....really isnt want i have wanted to hear at the time in the situations I've witnessed.

Bearing in mind:

- I dont know your dogs.
- You dont know what their next move is either (you can guess, but you cant possibly know for fact). Hot day, dog unwell, having a bad day...anything really.

Should I politely phone the police, giving my location, while the dog is all over my young daughter?

How do you report someone if they are reluctant? Should I expect them to comply? (bearing in mind the ignorance they have just demonstrated at a basic level).

Why do these owners assume that everyone will like a dog jumping on them? I'm not talking about a dog jumping up for attention here (althought this is also very wrong and smacks of bad ownership IMVHO), this is a lab sized dog on a 6 month old child treating them (or attempting to until I stopped it!) like a toy. Acceptable?

How would you handle this? This is a dog running towards us, away from it's owner who is standing uselessly shouting this like 'Shep, Shep, SHEPPP' (ermm Shep isnt hearing or caring, it sees a 'toy' 6 month old to play with). Not really a great situation or reassuring words from the 'owner'.

I'm not part of any 'intolerant hoard' either, just presenting my experience (happened more than once), and I'm now always aware of it because of past experiences with the eldest daughter as well. I dont think my 2 kids are the only 2 kids in the country who have had this, I cant see me being that unlucky somehow:thinking:

Do you expect young kids (and I mean very young here) to accept this with open arms and not grow up with a fear (and I do my best to avoid this, believe me)

I am saying 'you', and of course, not you personally(y)
You :)D) say you havent experienced any antagonism towards your pets, and you shouldnt have either as you are responsible owner, but please try to see it from the eyes of a parent with a young child and not every 'owner' being as responsible? I'm not anti dog either, but I am pro daughters. I'm sure you dont disagree with the above that much, but just trying to give you a view from my POV (y) rather than looking at it as someone attacking your dog?(y)

I think Pepi already spelt out the best way of handling it - yes, 6 month old, or even a 3 or 4 year old can easily be knocked over by even a small, friendly bouncy dog, and removing them out of harms way is sensible - just do it calmly and make sure both dog and child see no kind of 'over-reaction' on your part. It is usually clear very quickly what the dogs intentions are, so react appropriately and assuming it is just friendly [most are], then actually say hello to it, show your child that a fear of dogs is irrational.

You shouldn't get a dog then never let it run. I walk my dog all over the local countryside and rarely does she go on the lead. Mind you she is well trained. She is also fit and happy.

The problem with this attitude, is that most dog owners where I live think this way, which results in very few dogs being kept on their leads in our local nature reserve (despite adequate signing to let dog owners know that - ALL DOGS MUST BE KEPT ON A LEAD AT ALL TIMES.
I have been bitten twice in the last ten years by dogs (both were terrier types) who have been off the lead, well away from their owners. On both occasions the owners were anything but apologetic, and one ended up threatening me unles I "shut the ****** up".
I actually like dogs (can hardly ever eat a whole one though:LOL:), but I have grown to thoroughly dislike the actions and attitudes of MOST dog owners, who seem to think that the rest of us should have to put up with their dirty and irresponsible behaviour.

Rant over,

Happy New Year everyone;)

I walk my dog twice a day for the recommended time, always on a tight leash. He is just growing up just now and is really playful however he is over 9 stone so i need to watch out. He wouldnt hurt a fly but due to his size he could easily knock someone over. When someone aproaches on the same side of the road i shorten the lead and stop walking allowing the person to aproch us. If the person looks worried due to the dogs size i then tell them he will just slobber on them or lick them to death--this usually works and they walk past clapping his head as they go.

twice a week i take him out off the lead onto the local golf course area ( when its closed ) as i can see all around me, he always is with another dog-usually a friendly doberman. He needs to get off the lead and free running to allow his rear end muscles to buildup and stretch to save him issues later in life.

The only issue i had so far was with a guy walking his dog and allowed it close to mine, they got friendly however my dog slobbered on his dog and he was raging and proceded to go off in a bad mood to wash his dog down---dont allow your dog near mine if your worried about that...(y)

My 12 y/o GSD has never, not once, approached a child (or an adult for that matter) of her own volition. We do regularly, however, get kids legging it across the park, or across the road etc., hands outstetched bleating "awwww can we stroke it?" We always ask them to wait, tell the dog to sit, and then the dog fussing begins (which she will tolerate for hours on end).

Uninformed preconceptions of my dog, based purely on her breed, drive me nuts too. We see that on an almost daily basis.

Last edited:
I walk my dog twice a day for the recommended time, always on a tight leash. .................. he is over 9 stone ............When someone aproaches on the same side of the road i shorten the lead and stop walking allowing the person to aproch us....................:

I'd recommend trying to get him to walk nicely on a LOOSE leash. A big powerful dog should not need to be physically controlled.

Any tension in your body travels down the lead and will cause your dog to tense...

I literally have my lead looped over one finger when I'm walking (admittedtly only a 6kg Cavalier king Charles) mine. Being on the lead is more of a signal to her to walk beside me than a restraint.

My 12 y/o GSD has never, not once, approached a child (or an adult for that matter) of her own volition. We do regularly, however, get kids legging it across the park, or across the road etc., hands outstetched bleating "awwww can we stroke it?" We always ask them to wait, tell the dog to sit, and then the dog fussing begins (which she will tolerate for hours on end).

Uninformed preconceptions of my dog, based purely on her breed, drive me nuts too. We see that on an almost daily basis too.

Yep...GSD owner here.

I'd recommend trying to get him to walk nicely on a LOOSE leash. A big powerful dog should not need to be physically controlled.

Any tension in your body travels down the lead and will cause your dog to tense...

I literally have my lead looped over one finger when I'm walking (admittedtly only a 6kg Cavalier king Charles) mine. Being on the lead is more of a signal to her to walk beside me than a restraint.

Exactly this. :clap:

He walks fine until he sees someone and if he decides to go then you need to make sure you have him controlled. When walking normally he is at my side all of the time with the lead hanging loose however its still shortened when someone aproaches( but still not tight) until i stop the dog and wait for the person to pass.

I know what you mean though as dogs do sense if the owner is apprehensive etc.

I have been bitten twice in the last ten years by dogs (both were terrier types) who have been off the lead, well away from their owners. On both occasions the owners were anything but apologetic, and one ended up threatening me unles I "shut the ****** up".

I assume you made sure both dogs were put down?

Uninformed preconceptions of my dog, based purely on her breed, drive me nuts too. We see that on an almost daily basis.

Me too, except its the other way around, because they are spaniels they've got to be friendly :shake::shake: unfortunately due to having bad legs and being pulled around by toddlers prior to her coming to me i have one that given half a chance would bite, i'd be a rich woman if i had a quid for every time i have had to put myself in front of her.

All this thread should be about is responsibility doesn't really matter about the dog, someones kit was damaged and someone else was responsible, they should take responsibility for their actions, but sadly this is something that is sadly lacking these days

How do suggest I react then when your 'friendly' dogs run towards my 6 month old?

Please, I am seriously interested in this.

Using phrases like 'boisterous' 'affectionate' .....'loveable' friendly' cuddly' 'droopy eyes' or however soppy it is made to sound....really isnt want i have wanted to hear at the time in the situations I've witnessed.

Bearing in mind:

- I dont know your dogs.
- You dont know what their next move is either (you can guess, but you cant possibly know for fact). Hot day, dog unwell, having a bad day...anything really.

Should I politely phone the police, giving my location, while the dog is all over my young daughter?

How do you report someone if they are reluctant? Should I expect them to comply? (bearing in mind the ignorance they have just demonstrated at a basic level).

Why do these owners assume that everyone will like a dog jumping on them? I'm not talking about a dog jumping up for attention here (althought this is also very wrong and smacks of bad ownership IMVHO), this is a lab sized dog on a 6 month old child treating them (or attempting to until I stopped it!) like a toy. Acceptable?

How would you handle this? This is a dog running towards us, away from it's owner who is standing uselessly shouting this like 'Shep, Shep, SHEPPP' (ermm Shep isnt hearing or caring, it sees a 'toy' 6 month old to play with). Not really a great situation or reassuring words from the 'owner'.

I'm not part of any 'intolerant hoard' either, just presenting my experience (happened more than once), and I'm now always aware of it because of past experiences with the eldest daughter as well. I dont think my 2 kids are the only 2 kids in the country who have had this, I cant see me being that unlucky somehow:thinking:

Do you expect young kids (and I mean very young here) to accept this with open arms and not grow up with a fear (and I do my best to avoid this, believe me)

I am saying 'you', and of course, not you personally(y)
You :)D) say you havent experienced any antagonism towards your pets, and you shouldnt have either as you are responsible owner, but please try to see it from the eyes of a parent with a young child and not every 'owner' being as responsible? I'm not anti dog either, but I am pro daughters. I'm sure you dont disagree with the above that much, but just trying to give you a view from my POV (y) rather than looking at it as someone attacking your dog?(y)

Craig, of course our soppy dogs have the potential ability to bite just as [dare I say it] you and I would have the ability to rape! But they've never shown any inclination.

But instead I'll "bite" in response to your post.

I was outraged last night when I saw your post suggesting you'd injured dogs more than once when they approached your daughters. Then you went on to say your older daughter was developing a fear of dogs and, as a graduate psychologist, I wasn't the least bit surprised. If she sees her father becoming upset and angry in situations where dogs come bounding up, of course she will want to avoid that situation. It's straightforward conditioning.

If it helps, my own suggestion is that dogs are very simple creatures. They tend to respond to height. Standing up, standing still and standing above them confers authority in their pack orientated tiny minds and the person must always lead the calm response for the dog to follow suit. It might not be instant, but it is very rare for any dog to be agressive when out in public. I can honestly say, I don't know anyone who has actually been attacked by a dog, even when walking their own dog.

Two other anecdotes. When I was a toddler, I was apparently bounced by a Boxer who knocked me over. It didn't put me off dogs nor did it even put me off Boxers. I've never owned one, but it's the slobberuy breed I want more than any other.

Equally, don't stereotype by appearances. Walking the terrible terriers in Hadley Woods 18 months ago, Yv and I found ourselves facing a pair of "yoof" with their status dogs! Both guys, one black, one white, were wearing hoodies and their dogs off the lead were a a Dobermann and a Mastiff/Staffie/Bulldog sort of cross! It looked for a moment as though it could be a "scene" but as they got near, some calm, quiet words of command showed that both of them had pretty good rapport with their dogs and all eight people and dogs could encounter each other and interract and pass with no drama.

It is usually clear very quickly what the dogs intentions are.

So if it starts mauling her and isnt 'friendly', I should be able to spot that pretty quickly then within a second or two? I think i'll stick with the prevention method, thanks anyway.

The problem with this attitude, is that most dog owners where I live think this way, which results in very few dogs being kept on their leads in our local nature reserve (despite adequate signing to let dog owners know that - ALL DOGS MUST BE KEPT ON A LEAD AT ALL TIMES.
I actually like dogs (can hardly ever eat a whole one though:LOL:), but I have grown to thoroughly dislike the actions and attitudes of MOST dog owners, who seem to think that the rest of us should have to put up with their dirty and irresponsible behaviour.

Rant over,

Happy New Year everyone;)

When I say all over the countryside I mean like over the Brecons and Black mountains. I do have a lovely little nature reserve a short walk from my house which I often walk around admiring the wildlife etc. They even had a Hide but unfortunately some out of control off the lead kids burnt it down!!! :(

This is all about common sense, you either have it, or you don't!

The only issue i had so far was with a guy walking his dog and allowed it close to mine, they got friendly however my dog slobbered on his dog and he was raging and proceded to go off in a bad mood to wash his dog down---dont allow your dog near mine if your worried about that...(y)

Many years ago, I gawped when a Labrador lifted his leg and peed on the head of my Yorkie Poodle cross!

I would have raged and complained to the owner ... but I was too busy peeing myself laughing at it! :LOL::LOL:

So if it starts mauling her and isnt 'friendly', I should be able to spot that pretty quickly then within a second or two? I think i'll stick with the prevention method, thanks anyway.

:thinking: did I miss something? I was actually backing you using the prevention method, just doing it a lot more calmly than you are giving the impression you currently do. I would certainly not condem you for using force against a genuinely agressive dog either btw, I would do the same, as I think anyone in this thread probably would too. I was simply saying that if you already pick them up when you see a dog approaching, continue to do that, but if the dog arrives [child in your arms at this point] and is apparently friendly, don't react like it isn't... I am not saying you do, it is just your text is currently giving the impression that you assume every dog is man killer and act accordingly. :shrug:

joescrivens said:
I assume you made sure both dogs were put down?

Dogs don't get put down if they just bite someone, neither is there a lawful authority to do so.

**Seriously** injuring someone while being dangerously out of control is different.

Last edited:
Dogs don't get put down if they just bite someone, neither is there a lawful authority to do so.

**Seriously** injuring someone while being dangerously out of control is different.

Why not?

If a dog bites someone whilst not being provoked etc then it should be put down surely? I personally would put my dog down if it had bitten someone whilst not be provoked. When my dog bit me I deserved it as I was really annoying him.

joescrivens said:
Why not?

If a dog bites someone whilst not being provoked etc then it should be put down surely? I personally would put my dog down if it had bitten someone whilst not be provoked. When my dog bit me I deserved it as I was really annoying him.

That's just silly.

My cat bites people sometimes (and he goes outside unsupervised!). Should we put cats down when they bite someone? My brothers parrot also bites, should we put that down?

Don't get me started on gerbals or hamsters...

The law doesn't support it either, and quite rightly.

Last edited:
:thinking: did I miss something? I was actually backing you using the prevention method, just doing it a lot more calmly than you are giving the impression you currently do. I would certainly not condem you for using force against a genuinely agressive dog either btw, I would do the same, as I think anyone in this thread probably would too. I was simply saying that if you already pick them up when you see a dog approaching, continue to do that, but if the dog arrives [child in your arms at this point] and is apparently friendly, don't react like it isn't... I am not saying you do, it is just your text is currently giving the impression that you assume every dog is man killer and act accordingly. :shrug:

OK, crossed wires then(y)
I dont pick them up, or nearly think about it when I see a dog approaching/sniffing around, just to confirm, this has been dogs running/charging. I'm not crossing the road when my kids see a dog here etc(y)
Cheers.

That's just silly.

My cat bites people sometimes. Should we put cats down when they bite someone? My brothers parrot also bites, should we put that down?

Don't get me started on gerbals or hamsters...

The law doesn't support it either, and quite rightly.

lets just keep it to dogs, these comparisons don't work.

If a dog is shown to have bitten somebody unprovoked then it has now shown it has the potential to do so. Why would you risk it happening again when it could be to a baby or a small child young enugh that the bite could badly injure/kill that person?

joescrivens said:
lets just keep it to dogs, these comparisons don't work.

If a dog is shown to have bitten somebody unprovoked then it has now shown it has the potential to do so. Why would you risk it happening again when it could be to a baby or a small child young enugh that the bite could badly injure/kill that person?

No the comparison doesn't work for you! I'm just putting what you're saying in perspective. A dog can bite or nip at someone for different reasons, but if it does usually it's self defence because its scared. It's rare it'll bite to deliberately cause serious harm and the law acknowledges that.

And as pointed out, there have only been 5 serious dog attacks in the uk in as many years so we really do need to keep it in perspective.

Last edited:
No the comparison doesn't work for you! I'm just putting what you're saying in perspective. A dog can bite or nip at someone for different reasons, but if it does usually it's self defence because its scared. It's rare it'll bite to deliberately cause serious harm and the law acknowledges that.

And as pointed out, there have only been 5 serious dog attacks in the uk that in as many years so we really do need to keep it in perspective.

No really, your comparison doesn't work. A cat, hamster etc bite does not compare to that of a doberman or an english bull terrier. Yes other smaller dogs might not do much more damage than a cat, but show me a cat that can do damage like the majority of dog breeds could.

Lets keep it to unprovoked attacks as thats what the poster above is referring to.

and for your other point, there are 5 serious dog attacks that have been reported on. Who knows how many actual dogs bite people each year, many dont go reported im sure.

I'm talking as a previous dog owner I would be mortified if my dog had actually bitten someone unprovoked. I don't care what the law was, I'd sadly have to put the dog down.

Good training should see a dog listen to its owner above anything else.

Ah you mean like children do? Or do you expect your dog to have more respect for you than your children have for you?

IMO, children and dogs should be under complete control in public. If that means keeping them on a lead and/or muzzled, so be it!

Our pooch is on a lead whenever she's walked, and thoroughly cleaned up after as well. That said, the only time she's allowed off the lead is when we take her in the car to a beach at the arse end of Sheppey which is pretty much used only by dog walkers (as it's so out of the way), and there she can run around to her hearts content for a while. Still clean up after her there as well though.

Personally I can think of a good few children who also ought to be kept on a leash whenever they're out :)

Yup, see blue comment above.

why would someone try and hurt a dog if the dog wasn't being an issue?

Because some people are *****.
:LOL:

I know I'm short but I'd like to see your little ones reach my thigh

Short? Compared to Yv? Blimey!

FTR, the last dog my parents had was put down after a single bite - of a cyclist who damn near knocked my mother over and kicked at the dog as he zoomed past. The cyclist didn't hang around and demand the dog be put down but it was always understood that if a dog ever had a bite at anyone, it would be put down.

My biggest problem isn't with the animals but the walkers. Most will (these days) pick up after their dog and some even dispose of the bags in the correct manner but plenty seem to think that it's OK to lob the bag over a fence, into a river, hang it on a tree etc.

My wifes' sister has an unruly Bijon Frieze (spelling) that I truly hate. Dogs need to have a master & be controlled

Bit like a woman then :LOL:

I've got my tin hat ready :D

I'm a dog owner with 2 Golden Retreivers who love people and kids - I've read all your posts regarding this and to be honest if you want to scare your kids about dogs you are going the right way about it - you'll give them a life time of phobias. By all means be cautious but rather than lashing out, most dog owners will be more than happy to get your kids comfortable around their dog.
I have to say if you are putting a 6 month old down where dogs are charging around, then just maybe its not the right place to put them down.

I have always lived in the country and never walked my dogs on leads, in fact most have been better off lead,
My lovely GSD really did not like other dogs running up to him and could get extremely aggressive, his recall was perfect and he would do distant downs on first request I sent a lot of time training him and wish others had done the same, lost count of the number of other people's I have had to catch to keep away, whilst he sat quietly out of the way and they calmly informed me their dog was fine :bang::bang:
Kids, never a problem, he would happily ignore them when out loose, and strangely they all seemed to want to stroke the big dog, which he loved
I hate this all dogs should be muzzled/kept on a lead culture we have at the moment, perhaps in parks or urban situations, but there are places where they can run and enjoy being dogs.
The population in general needs educating on dog ownership/behaviour

Overexposed said:
I'm a dog owner with 2 Golden Retreivers who love people and kids - I've read all your posts regarding this and to be honest if you want to scare your kids about dogs you are going the right way about it - you'll give them a life time of phobias. By all means be cautious but rather than lashing out, most dog owners will be more than happy to get your kids comfortable around their dog.
I have to say if you are putting a 6 month old down where dogs are charging around, then just maybe its not the right place to put them down.

Lol could you be any more ignorant and wide of the points i raise above (and patronising)? Your post sums it up for me and confirms there really are people out there who think like this. It's never the dogs fault.

I'm leaving this one, nothing more to add.

Cheers.

I live in a fairly rural area and it depresses me to say there are a growing number of places I simply do not visit because of the number of dogs not on leads.

Friendly or not, a dog running towards/around/past me off a lead is a terrifying experience. I'm incredibly laid back and have never responded remotely aggressively, but the complete disinterest from many owners really bothers me. We've had a dog charge into our garden (our garden is next to a public footpath) after our cat (who was sat in the garden), no comment from the owner. I've had a dog lick my camera lens whilst I was crouched shooting...the owner laughed. Worse than that, me and my 3 year old nephew were playing in my Nans garden (which backs onto a canal towpath), dog leaps over the fence, barely misses my nephew and jumps out again. Not a word from the owner yet again.

The canal is one of the few remaining places I feel fairly comfortable walking, the majority of fields and woodland areas are not worth the hassle.

Lol could you be any more ignorant and wide of the points i raise above (and patronising)? Your post sums it up for me and confirms there really are people out there who think like this. It's never the dogs fault.

I'm leaving this one, nothing more to add.

Cheers.

Staff deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone needs to take a breath. Yv has already suggested this once. Don't let the reasonable debate start getting personal

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Cat owners are worse than dog owners. I have a neighbour who has 3 cats. They regularly use our front garden a litter tray so when it is quiet at night I collect it all in a bag and deposit on their front garden! :LOL:

Mahone said:
I think Cat owners are worse than dog owners. I have a neighbour who has 3 cats. They regularly use our front garden a litter tray so when it is quiet at night I collect it all in a bag and deposit on their front garden! :LOL:

What a constructive post. :bang:

These pet threads are worse than politics, religion, weddings and all the rest of the taboo topics on this forum!

Back