DPOTY 2023 - Chat Thread

Well I finally got my entry in, having been shopping for veg a second time after the first was disappointing in so many ways.

And even now I'm wondering if I picked the right picture.

Tell you what, Edward Weston was GOOD......

Voting this month is going to be very difficult, there are some seriously good interpretations this time around.

I still haven't taken I shot for this month. I had a plan, but that's gone by the wayside. The bad back and a very new (Tuesday) puppy is not helping. I'll get something in, just not what I wanted :)

After a lot of confidence mantras, I am trying to post my first entry:)

It's a 17.6MB JPEG and if I use 'Attach files' then it is too large. If I try any link from Flickr (using the 'insert image' then there is an error whichever option I use (share, embedded, email, BB code)

How is it best to attach, please:)

Many thanks

After a lot of confidence mantras, I am trying to post my first entry:)

It's a 17.6MB JPEG and if I use 'Attach files' then it is too large. If I try any link from Flickr (using the 'insert image' then there is an error whichever option I use (share, embedded, email, BB code)

How is it best to attach, please:)

Many thanks
Copy the BB code and paste straight to the post, make sure the BBcode size is 1024 on the longest edge. :)

Last edited:
I struggled with this one but looked back through my photos from earlier in the year, and the best I have found is a less good version of something that has already been posted. At least it wasn't a rubbish idea!

Good luck with June everybody ;)

I've got a July image in the bank. I was at the seaside for a week so I should have that covered.

Hi folks, a quick Q if I may.

Got myself a new fancy laptop and it has the following colour profiles / coverage:

SRGB 100%
Adobe RGB 99.6%
DCI-P3 100%

Now, the image I have just uploaded for water was edited on the laptop and I assume the screen is at DCI-P3. When I export to JPEG it lets me choose a colour profile. Thing is, they all bring out slightly different shades and colours, with the DCI-P3 being what I consider the closest match to the image I am editing. I have read online that DCI-P3 has more colour coverage and such and (depending on the site) will replace the others??

What colour profile do you folks use? SRGB is (as various sites suggest) the most common. I assume those who view the image I have posted (deliberately at 100% DCI-P3) who may not have this, will see it through SRGB glasses? Is it better to just work in SRGB?

I always understood that it is best to work in the widest colour space you can, but export in sRGB.

How are you getting on with it @Gav. ?

Mine is this one: https://www.asus.com/uk/laptops/for-home/zenbook/zenbook-pro-duo-15-oled-ux582-12th-gen-intel/

Got it on sale from John Lewis. In their reduced to clear, but it was brand new, hadn't even been opened and I paid a fair amount lower than that with a 3 yr warranty.
I'm using the same one, may be an 11th gen processor now, had it 18mths, love it, real beast when running on the mains, it's a headache on battery below 50% :LOL:

I don't use the second screen as much as I had hoped for or the touchscreen.

It's never missed a beat, Pantone calibration seems spot on at 70% screen brightness (depending on room).

Keeps your hands lovely and warm running flatout :LOL:

I'm using the same one, may be an 11th gen processor now, had it 18mths, love it, real beast when running on the mains, it's a headache on battery below 50% :LOL:

I don't use the second screen as much as I had hoped for or the touchscreen.

It's never missed a beat, Pantone calibration seems spot on at 70% screen brightness (depending on room).

Keeps your hands lovely and warm running flatout :LOL:

Ah, I have been good and started using the second screen from day one. I love that it can pull the sliders / tools from LR/PS (amongst others) there and thus creates more space on the main screen. I have mine set up on a laptop stand and have a Logi MX3 combo mouse and keyboard that I use for work linked to it.

I also find it useful for learning purposes. I can watch YouTube videos on lightroom techniques on the bottom screen whilst editing as I go along on the top. It's great for work, I can read student submissions and complete the marking and feedback, and I am currently signing off some taxation workbook updates (exciting times in this house) and it is just so useful to have word on the bottom whilst reading on the main screen.

Ah, I have been good and started using the second screen from day one. I love that it can pull the sliders / tools from LR/PS (amongst others) there and thus creates more space on the main screen.
I use Captureone and the tool bar screen doesn't work with it :headbang:
Adobe only :mad:

I have mine set up on a laptop stand and have a Logi MX3 combo mouse and keyboard that I use for work linked to it.
I use a Mx mouse but the laptops keyboard.

I also find it useful for learning purposes. I can watch YouTube videos on lightroom techniques on the bottom screen whilst editing as I go along on the top. It's great for work, I can read student submissions and complete the marking and feedback, and I am currently signing off some taxation workbook updates (exciting times in this house) and it is just so useful to have word on the bottom whilst reading on the main screen.

It does come in handy, when needed :)

So in the end I never did manage to get an image in for June, but I'm determined to get one in for July.

Congratulations @Rincewind @n1kcy @ajophotog for your joint three-way win in Crafted By Nature /June.
I'll post the scores shortly.

So, a great first entry in DPOTY23 gets @Rincewind well up the leaderboard, and whilst @Nostromo is still leading by a decent score, the field is wide open with 5 months to go. But also well done to the other new entrants for having a go, the only way is up, and again congratulations to the three winners of June, a newbie, a rejoiner, and a steady improver.

1688821036177.png

Last edited:
I did wonder @Gav. I'll update it now:
1688826085111.png

Back