DPOTY 2023 - Chat Thread

Well done indeed to the June winners, excellent work.
My July entry is in, fingers crossed for more than one vote :)

I'm getting the distinct feeling I'm not going to be top of the tree this year. I didn't think I was doing too badly when I saw my name appearing in the top quarter of the spreadsheet and then reality kicks in and I find, of those that have entered every month, I am practically at the bottom. However, I have two possible solutions: a) I take pictures that more people will like or b) I only look at the last column of the spreadsheet! :D

I'm going to try for a) but expect b) :whistle:.

I'm getting the distinct feeling I'm not going to be top of the tree this year. I didn't think I was doing too badly when I saw my name appearing in the top quarter of the spreadsheet and then reality kicks in and I find, of those that have entered every month, I am practically at the bottom. However, I have two possible solutions: a) I take pictures that more people will like or b) I only look at the last column of the spreadsheet! :D

It can be disheartening if your entry gets nil points, but in the end it's just for 'fun' and satisfaction of managing to enter every month.

It can be disheartening if your entry gets nil points, but in the end it's just for 'fun' and satisfaction of managing to enter every month.

Oh I'm not disheartened at all, it's all photography and it keeps my interest high (and my bank balance low), it keeps me thinking and I'm pleased there is an outlet for my work, however it is received, here on TP. There have been some excellent submissions to date and I'm about where I should be when I compare my stuff with others. It's good fun and long may it continue -- now let me have a look at that last column once again :D.

I've just posted my entry, but it looks really soft, the original is nice and sharp. Any suggestions @lindsay?

I feel like that at times also, but I try not to let it get me down.

I use DPOTY and the 52 as a means to get me out taking images. I post up the ones I like (and the ones the wife likes). If they score well or get comments great, if not, I've still had an excuse to get out with the camera.

I'm extremely introverted so typically wouldn't get involved in such things but it gets me out and the overall outcome isn't the driver for me. I'm trying to have a bit of fun, learn and interact, although not often doing so well with the later.

Several people above have neatly explained the reasons for the D/FPOTY's and 52, being to give camera users a purpose, a theme to shoot to where they might otherwise either not bother at all or be directionless. And it's deliberately not a competition, no prizes for winning in a month or overall. There have been some cracking images each month, but also I've noticed that some themes work better for some people than others, so there are very few people showing consistently high scoring each month, mostly it's the odd month they do well, and that's fine.

@TimHughes I can't absolutely explain any softness, it's something we've discussed elsewhere amongst the staff. We think it may be where the image posted is slightly larger than the constraints we ask for (500kb/1024px longest edge), as we've proved that the forum software does do some compression of its own in that scenario, but if you've stuck to those rules, we can't find a reason for it.

@TimHughes I can't absolutely explain any softness, it's something we've discussed elsewhere amongst the staff. We think it may be where the image posted is slightly larger than the constraints we ask for (500kb/1024px longest edge), as we've proved that the forum software does do some compression of its own in that scenario, but if you've stuck to those rules, we can't find a reason for it.

Thanks Lindsay, it was 1600px so I've replaced with a 1024px version. Not looking great though, very strange. Anyhow another entry for the challenge complete.

It could be worse - I have the dubious honour of being last of the users who have submitted a photo each month. Although I am glad that I have managed to submit a photo each month. Now, water...

It could be worse - I have the dubious honour of being last of the users who have submitted a photo each month. Although I am glad that I have managed to submit a photo each month. Now, water...

I look upon it that at least we are trying! Onward and upward.

Hi Diego, glad to have you on the site and look forward to you joining in the challenges. You can start any time of year, there are no prozes for winning each month or at the end of the year, just the satisfaction of participating and especially getting some points. Some of us (myself included) don't manage to submit every month, and don't often get many points, but it's nice to do anyway.

Got my entries in. We were down in Cornwall last week hence I was holding out for the digital entry hoping I could get something suitable down there.

The film entries I do have to plan a little in advance, but I do like to try to get the digital stuff 'fresh' so to speak :)

Anyway, I'm more than chuffed with a 100% entry record so far in both D & FPOTY :)

I was just looking through the entries and I notice one has gone missing, it was of a boy on a bike riding through a puddle. I thought it stood a good chance of winning this month so I'm surprised it has gone.

I was just looking through the entries and I notice one has gone missing, it was of a boy on a bike riding through a puddle. I thought it stood a good chance of winning this month so I'm surprised it has gone.
It was a superb image, but sadly not taken since 1/12/22, so had to be withdrawn. Them's the rules. Maybe if something watery comes up in the New Old Digital themes....

Another tough month in terms of the quality of entries. I'd really hoped to get something in France last month, but the nearest lake was drained during the winter for repairs to the dam, and didn't make for inspiring pictures at all! I had to do a little bit of a backwards-scan though this years work to find something, but was also aware that 2 of my best entries have already involved water. Well done those who took and submitted a pic in July.

I'm going for the "puddle" end of "puddle to ocean".

I think it is harder to pick 3 than just 1. My votes are in and picking 3 was tough for sure.

Since I'm not going to be a contender (unless something wonderful happens in the last few months) I can propose something without seeming to be self-promoting. Just to finish the challenge off at the end of December/start of January, might it be a nice idea to have a second poll consisting of a final vote for the best picture from all the monthly winners? Just a thought.

I'm happy to go along with that Martin, I may need a reminder though!

OK, entry in. I saw this sculpture/statue in Lanzarote back in Feb and couldn't not photograph it. Already slightly wishing I'd picked a different version, because as a small image it loses a lot of energy, but them's the rules, so it stays.

My entry is in for this month, didn't have to think long about my choice.
One of my favourite structures, got some nice after dark photos of it, but they were taken in 2019.

I was hoping to get a macro image of a snowflake during winter for this one but had no luck with that. Have to think again.

Congratulations @Nostromo on a deserved win, with a strong challenge from several others in a good field of contenders. Here's the league table:

1691479659375.png

Well done Dominic, great shot ;)

Back