DPOTY 2024 - Chat thread

I thought the same, is it due to being a tad Black heavy?

I think I can see some yellow-green leaves and blue-green leaves in the first. In the second, the sleeve of the subject is a colour that's not a shade of red.

Personally, I think those pictures look pretty much monochromatic, I should think if you look carefully enough at any picture you'll find colour elements, even if it's only sensor-generated noise. I wouldn't exclude any of those pictures from the theme of monochrome on the basis that there might be other colours in them. I shall probably stick to the traditional, accepted concept of monochrome and take my picture in black and white (even if white does contain ALL the colours!).

Well done @TimHughes our January winner. A close-run thing with some cracking entries. I'll post the spreadsheet a little later

Thank you! The bridge is quite a favorite of mine to photograph and it’s not often I get the chance to take a photo there while the snow is falling.

Well done to @TimHughes and everyone participating!
I loved January’s entries!

Sorry folks, manically busy week this week but backlog cleared and I should be online a bit more.

Can I just ask about monochrome please.

My camera has numerous monochrome options, L-monochrome and all that jazz. Can I use one of these in camera monochrome settings, or are we looking for B&W...sorry if my Q doesn't make sense but images in the different monochrome settings I can select all look different.

Cheers

Sorry folks, manically busy week this week but backlog cleared and I should be online a bit more.

Can I just ask about monochrome please.

My camera has numerous monochrome options, L-monochrome and all that jazz. Can I use one of these in camera monochrome settings, or are we looking for B&W...sorry if my Q doesn't make sense but images in the different monochrome settings I can select all look different.

Cheers
There was a chat a page back if you've missed it, but use you want you're happy with (y)

As Gav said. Maybe post an example that you are unsure of in this chat thread?

Why not use the PAGB definition of Mono for their comps its pretty straightforward. .. ??
DEFINITION OF MONOCHROME TO BE USED IN PAGB COMPETITIONS
Monochrome Images include:
An Image in tones of neutral grey ranging from transparent/white to opaque/black.
An Image in a single colour:
o A Print using a chemical process such as sepia, cyanotype, etc..
o A digitally produced Image ‘colorized’ in a single hue.

What Johnty52 says - I think that summarises the previous discussion a page or so ago neatly.

I love b&w but I wanted to try something different for this, the trouble is that my idea is not completely digital, so I'm working on something alternative. It does make you think...

I love b&w but I wanted to try something different for this, the trouble is that my idea is not completely digital, so I'm working on something alternative. It does make you think...
I'm trying some that are not B&W, too, and have several that are close to monochrome in camera, but removing other tints and keeping the feel of the original is proving quite tricky. Seems more difficult than B&W conversion and I'm not sure why.

**Best thing to do if unsure about the image been monochrome is to convert your image to greyscale first.
Then add a layer of colour and finally make adjustments to contrast, tone and such.**

Think of film photography, cyanotype(blue hue) and sepia tone(brown hue).

btw why does the picture i uploaded looks pixelated and like its taken from a really old smartphone?
on my screen its def sharper

I had a similar idea, take a b&w film negative (recently taken :angelic: ) then convert to digi(scanning) and last add a layer of colour. Then i thought it might be against the rules because it’s film. But then again converted to digi and manipulated even further digitally, puts the image in between a grey area haha.
Funny there’s a thread about digital images now been converted to analog.
I believe as long as the final image is within the boundaries of this months theme “monochrome “ then it qualifies as such.

GM, I notice that both of you (@Marino @TimHughes ) have directly loaded jpgs into your post. I can't see the dimensions etc of those images, but we are aware that the software can sometimes do its own slight compression when you do that. That's why the majority use a free Flickr account to hold the full size images and then use a BBCode link to post the image into the thread, which avoids this issue.

GM, I notice that both of you (@Marino @TimHughes ) have directly loaded jpgs into your post. I can't see the dimensions etc of those images, but we are aware that the software can sometimes do its own slight compression when you do that. That's why the majority use a free Flickr account to hold the full size images and then use a BBCode link to post the image into the thread, which avoids this issue.
Thanks Lindsay, I may have a flickr account, I have not used that in a long time. Can I switch the link if I get it working?

So long as it's the same image, that's ok

Thank you

I've managed to do the same. I noticed including the Flickr links works, but BB code did not.
Funny for me it’s the opposite Bb code works but link doesn’t

Back