Critique Drinks

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

First go with a drinks type image. I took this just before the Almond bread photo.

Another learning curve to be had.......

Would be great to get some critique/feedback.

Tips on how to improve any part of the process would be welcomed.

Gaz

vuHp3QN.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gaz, nice image, you must have 2 pairs of hands to do all that ... ;)

Not sure if it's the way I'm viewing but focus looks like it could be just in front of glasses?

Did you layer 3 images to get this?

Really like the idea (y)

Sorry can't really help :)

@Gav-canon

Thanks for the feedback.
Haha there's nowt wrong with your eyes fella.
You are correct the focus is on the front glass.
I didn't intend taking an image containing all 3 glasses. I got excited after taking the first then started adding to it.
It became an experiment in trying to capture the splashes the pour and finally the fairy lights.
I never bothered to change the aperture.
Next time I'll give it a bit more thought
You are correct there are bits of 4 frames contained within.

Gaz

I like the basis of the image.

the oof glasses was the first thing i noted but you’ve covered that above

did the lighting change or glass position change between shots?
i can see left glass high left front, but bottom right also highlighted,
front glass similar but the apple is lit and theres a highlight bottom left where the apple looks as though it could be in shadow with that high left lighting
the berries left and item between the two drinking glasses arent lit though and bottom of glasses on left looks in shadow

the water stream and splashes could maybe do with some different lighting to accenuate this better and layer that in.

i can see what i think is rour reflection in left glass which is distracting

appl and orange dont do anything for me and look a bit dried out (apple) and thinly cut (orange). I’d suggest losing them but making the red berries more prominent

the water stream could maybe be warped more to stream in from top right corner

maybe a slightly tighter crop

i might just not be understanding the lighting or its that the christmas tree and camara have to rotate clockwise slightly to make more of that lighting.

hope the comments/ thoughts are ok. I dont want to seem overly critical- really like the thought behind it.

Wow Jim.

Not over critical in any way.

I'm pleased you took the time to look at the image in so much detail and give your thoughts.

I have the full size image open as I read though your feedback so will try to answer your points.

"did the lighting change or glass position change between shots?" No change to lighting.

"I can see left glass high left front, but bottom right also highlighted,front glass similar but the apple is lit and there's a highlight bottom left where the apple looks as though it could be in shadow with that high left lighting"

I am pretty sure the light on the bottom of both those glasses is from the one main light source on the left, it seems to reflect downwards across the frame/glass I hear the term refraction but I'm not fully sure I understand what that means. Other than curved/shaped glassware puts light in strange places. I have frames at each stage I went through and those reflections are there from frame one.

Happy to be corrected I'm enjoying working through these comments I think I'm learning more than when taking the photo.

"the berries left and item between the two drinking glasses aren't lit though and bottom of glasses on left looks in shadow"

Yes I agree there's a shadow area in_front of the berries caused by the light coming from behind them no light got to the large seed head placed in between the glasses.

"but the apple is lit"

Yes the apple did catch a bit of light from the main light but "I thought not enough" so I used a small reflector held close to bounce some light back in. Pasted in later.

No good ?

"the water stream and splashes could maybe do with some different lighting to accentuate this better and layer that in"

Good point maybe I might be best just concentrate on doing a single splash photo first then go from there.

"I can see what I think is rour reflection in left glass which is distracting"

Hadn't noticed that but I see it now. Damn..........I don't think it is me but I'll work on that one for next time. Later if I get chance.

"apple and orange don't do anything for me and look a bit dried out (apple) and thinly cut (orange). I'd suggest losing them but making the red berries more prominent"

Okydoky I agree it would have been nice to see more of the red berries.

"the water stream could maybe be warped more to stream in from top right corner

maybe a slightly tighter crop"

Will keep those thoughts in mind on the next image.

"I might just not be understanding the lighting or its that the Christmas tree and camera have to rotate clockwise slightly to make more of that lighting"

I'm no expert on lighting I am getting by but have to keep it simple. That said I do tend to set up and stay in one position which is most likely not the right thing to do.As like you say a slight move either way may make a big difference.

Really appreciate that feedback as it's something I could not do so well and I'm asking you kind people to do.

All my points above are not to rebuke what you've said but to work through how I arrived at the end point and give you a better understanding.

Gaz

@Gav-canon

Thanks for the feedback.
Haha there's nowt wrong with your eyes fella.
You are correct the focus is on the front glass.
I didn't intend taking an image containing all 3 glasses. I got excited after taking the first then started adding to it.
It became an experiment in trying to capture the splashes the pour and finally the fairy lights.
I never bothered to change the aperture.
Next time I'll give it a bit more thought
You are correct there are bits of 4 frames contained within.

Gaz
Not sure if you have used it but xanthan gum could help with the liquid? I use it for splash/drop photography.

Not sure if you have used it but xanthan gum could help with the liquid? I use it for splash/drop photography.
Nope not heard of that.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Gaz

Wow Jim.

Not over critical in any way.

I'm pleased you took the time to look at the image in so much detail and give your thoughts.

I have the full size image open as I read though your feedback so will try to answer your points.

"did the lighting change or glass position change between shots?" No change to lighting.

"I can see left glass high left front, but bottom right also highlighted,front glass similar but the apple is lit and there's a highlight bottom left where the apple looks as though it could be in shadow with that high left lighting"

I am pretty sure the light on the bottom of both those glasses is from the one main light source on the left, it seems to reflect downwards across the frame/glass I hear the term refraction but I'm not fully sure I understand what that means. Other than curved/shaped glassware puts light in strange places. I have frames at each stage I went through and those reflections are there from frame one.

Happy to be corrected I'm enjoying working through these comments I think I'm learning more than when taking the photo.

"the berries left and item between the two drinking glasses aren't lit though and bottom of glasses on left looks in shadow"

Yes I agree there's a shadow area in_front of the berries caused by the light coming from behind them no light got to the large seed head placed in between the glasses.

"but the apple is lit"

Yes the apple did catch a bit of light from the main light but "I thought not enough" so I used a small reflector held close to bounce some light back in. Pasted in later.

No good ?

"the water stream and splashes could maybe do with some different lighting to accentuate this better and layer that in"

Good point maybe I might be best just concentrate on doing a single splash photo first then go from there.

"I can see what I think is rour reflection in left glass which is distracting"

Hadn't noticed that but I see it now. Damn..........I don't think it is me but I'll work on that one for next time. Later if I get chance.

"apple and orange don't do anything for me and look a bit dried out (apple) and thinly cut (orange). I'd suggest losing them but making the red berries more prominent"

Okydoky I agree it would have been nice to see more of the red berries.

"the water stream could maybe be warped more to stream in from top right corner

maybe a slightly tighter crop"

Will keep those thoughts in mind on the next image.

"I might just not be understanding the lighting or its that the Christmas tree and camera have to rotate clockwise slightly to make more of that lighting"

I'm no expert on lighting I am getting by but have to keep it simple. That said I do tend to set up and stay in one position which is most likely not the right thing to do.As like you say a slight move either way may make a big difference.

Really appreciate that feedback as it's something I could not do so well and I'm asking you kind people to do.

All my points above are not to rebuke what you've said but to work through how I arrived at the end point and give you a better understanding.

Gaz
Good stuff, for me critique is the best way to learn. Study, try, post and then accept critique, see what you can learn and go back and try again.

i’m not a lighting expert but it’s an area i really want to understand, flash puts the photographer fully in control of the important part of photography and working back from an image to the light sources is a great way to help understand light. I hadn’t thought that refraction might be thesource with the curved glass and lighting position

i‘d have a go again but change the lighting position between shots (and keep a note of them) to see how small changes alter the image

i‘d have a go again but change the lighting position between shots (and keep a note of them) to see how small changes alter the image
Re the refraction/reflection I'm not sure either way it could have been the reflector.

Course I'll play some more unfortunatly i'm not a good note keeper I'm very random with things like that.

You want to see my note pads from when I go out quoting (Plasterer) a constant source of entertianment for my family.

The below image is earlier on in the set up.

The reflections are still there ?

On a side note it appears I am in the glass i'm gonna have to run off after pressing the shutter " you have a keen eye" :)

LMclCxK.jpg

Back