weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hi Dawn,

Nice work for posting more than one attempt at the theme, good on you.

I like the sun explode for this weeks theme, looks very out of this world (or out this country at least)

(y)

Hiya Joe,

I'm sorry I missed saying thanks to you in my previous reply .... was trying to keep up with replying to all and somehow overlooked your comments.

Thank you for your kind words .... and I have just seen your post which is along the same vein as my shot. I will go an leave comments now.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya,

So here we are so many weeks into the project ..... and boy have I had a grilling from some of you, no names mentioned.

All I can say at this late stage in the project is .... if you don't like the way I have progressed with my task .... so what!

I'm sorry if that sounds blaze ..... but when I set out to do this project at the start of 2011 I had no clue what direction it would take me. Obviously .... through the experience here I have found my comfort zone .... it may not be to everyone's liking because they prefer 'pure' photography as opposed some sort of pp'ing.

Having said that, my post processing techniques are still minimal and leave a lot to be desired. But one thing for sure is that I have enjoyed taking a photograph of something and adding my creativity to make it my OWN! (granted some folk may have a problem with interpreting that concept, but I sincerely hope they find that within themselves to be the 'artist', whichever direction it takes).

One thing I have learned and experience over the past few weeks, is not only the challenging themes, but also drawing from the critique of others.

I have to say that I have felt very uninspired by the last few themes, but then again I think the fact that I was taking all the indirect personal crit on board was not doing me good!

So this week ..... I have decided to be myself again! Hey you will either love this or hate it! Either way ..... that is art! Of which photography falls into the category! These image were all created from an initial photo ... I have kept the post processing to a minimum and mainly played around with saturation and levels, apart from adding the moon :D

If you don't like the shots .... please say so, but state reasons why and I will consider same.

At the end of the day, this is what I like and what makes me happy, and no matter what one says .... it won't change anything!

Cheers

So here is my first take on 'rapid' ....

1. Time flies

6243565563_30db48624e_b.jpg
[/url] Oh how time flies ... by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

2. Star trails .... how rapid do they move?

6193035067_4154b0784d_b.jpg
[/url] Halo star trails - edit by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

So that is my take on the theme, and I feel comfortable with same. Looking forward to the next one .... and coming to think of it .... we don't have more to go until the end of TP Photo52 - 2011.

Some interesting comments there, Dawn.

As I said in my rapid post, I've been feeling a bit :shrug: lately.

I think it's because I haven't been happy with my last few 52 posts...there's a chasm between my visualised idea and my competence/camera gear.

I was, however, really happy with my rapid photograph (if I do say so myself).

I have to say, with touching 1400 posts in your 2011 52 project, you must be doing something right (y)

Anyway, I've been in Malham all day and am a bit tired....BUT was at Malham Tarm and I experienced my best Golden Hour...more when I post some photographs...needless to say: lost my polariser, dropped my remote in the tarn, was stood knee deep in the Tarn at 18:00 getting the sunset...amomgst other things....but it was FANTASTIC!!!

Anyway, 'nough ramblings.....

#1, like it...I saw it on Flickr first and was drawn to it. It reminded me of Back to the Future. Nice tight crop, nice muted colours and just the right amount of motion. I'd prefer a more minimal approach by not adding the moon.

#2, seen this before I think and you've done well. Nice trails and interesgting dish.

Cheers and......OOOHHHH, it's Saturday soon...new theme....:bonk::bonk:

Some interesting comments there, Dawn.

As I said in my rapid post, I've been feeling a bit :shrug: lately.

I think it's because I haven't been happy with my last few 52 posts...there's a chasm between my visualised idea and my competence/camera gear.

I was, however, really happy with my rapid photograph (if I do say so myself).

I have to say, with touching 1400 posts in your 2011 52 project, you must be doing something right (y)

Anyway, I've been in Malham all day and am a bit tired....BUT was at Malham Tarm and I experienced my best Golden Hour...more when I post some photographs...needless to say: lost my polariser, dropped my remote in the tarn, was stood knee deep in the Tarn at 18:00 getting the sunset...amomgst other things....but it was FANTASTIC!!!

Anyway, 'nough ramblings.....

#1, like it...I saw it on Flickr first and was drawn to it. It reminded me of Back to the Future. Nice tight crop, nice muted colours and just the right amount of motion. I'd prefer a more minimal approach by not adding the moon.

#2, seen this before I think and you've done well. Nice trails and interesgting dish.

Cheers and......OOOHHHH, it's Saturday soon...new theme....:bonk::bonk:

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like you have had a hectic time in the name of photography, but I am sure it has all been worthwhile! Look forward to seeing some pics.

with the 1st I added the moon .... only because it felt like there was too much dead space in the top right corner and also I wanted to create a sence of time with the earth/sun/moon revolution. Plus a bit of StarTrek Enterprise .... although I am far from the person to speak to about sci-fi ..... I know nothing except I think the captain is called Kirk .... and I think there is someone call Dr Spock .... but other than that I am cluelesss :LOL: So this has really pushed my creative limits :D

I can't wait for the end of year TP meet! I'm already counting the days even though we haven't fixed a date yet.

Regards to Jackie and Iseballe

Cheers

hey face..girl..when it comes to star trails.. i think yours rock!! (y)

Wow Kev, I take you comment with much appreciation and high regard, thank you (y)

Hi Dawn

Time
I think the shot works with or without the moon.
It's a crackin idea and fits the theme well.
Another take may have been to have the blur on the hands as they spin around the clock face.

Rapid
I like the star trails, the colours and composition work well and the dish goes well with the theme of star trails. My only neg is the line through the stars, what is it?

Over all, two nice shots.

Hi Dawn

Time
I think the shot works with or without the moon.
It's a crackin idea and fits the theme well.
Another take may have been to have the blur on the hands as they spin around the clock face.

Rapid
I like the star trails, the colours and composition work well and the dish goes well with the theme of star trails. My only neg is the line through the stars, what is it?

Over all, two nice shots.

Hiya Neil,

Thanks for the compliments and feedback. I had considered the blurring hands as they spin, but couldn't figure out how to do that in pp. This photo is of the clock on the church in Hope.

With the star trails ..... the line through the stars is a plane tracking in the sky. I had considered cloning it out but as you can imagine that would take some time and also affect the actual star trails. So I decided to leave it in.

Cheers

Hi Hun

Well...I likey likey likey both the shots posted for this theme (y)

Fantastic star trail...very futuristic dish thingy..maybe a little to bright for me but doesn't detract too much...love the colors in the sky & the varying brightness of the trails...plenty to look at...no idea how you do this but can't add anymmore to my " to-learn " list !

& totally love the 1st image :clap: lovely muted colors ,like the inclusion of the moor as well (y)

pe...I've decided I need to spend sometime with you learning your " minimal pp techniques " :D

Hi Dawn,
Just read your post on personal critique on your pics. I have no desire to insult you, nor cause upset so I will coment on your "Proper photos” and leave the ones that have had "minimal pp work" alone ;)

Your explode sky is fantastic. Great capture, great colours.
Your packet does nothing for me and the bubbles and candy in water is oof and too noisy. Sorry.

Your star trails are also excellent. You have taken some good photos over the last few weeks, I do hope you keep at it. Nothing wrong with pp art, but I think you have great skill at "pure photography" (y)

All the best,

Adie

Hi Hun

Well...I likey likey likey both the shots posted for this theme (y)

Fantastic star trail...very futuristic dish thingy..maybe a little to bright for me but doesn't detract too much...love the colors in the sky & the varying brightness of the trails...plenty to look at...no idea how you do this but can't add anymmore to my " to-learn " list !

& totally love the 1st image :clap: lovely muted colors ,like the inclusion of the moor as well (y)

pe...I've decided I need to spend sometime with you learning your " minimal pp techniques " :D

Hiya Lynne,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. The Halo panopticon is very bright so not sure how I could reduce the brightness without loosing the other detail in the stars and background.

Glad you like the first shot too. It is a photo of the clock on the church in Hope. I took it when on the 52 meet. I wanted to create something different with it so changed the angle, max'd the shadows to make it darker, had a few bits to sort out/clone, then in Picnic added the moon and the blur/lines.

I'd gladly show you my minimal processing techniques. Will have to make a plan some time to meet up, perhaps you could come over to ours and then I can show you the progs that I use.

Hi Dawn,
Just read your post on personal critique on your pics. I have no desire to insult you, nor cause upset so I will coment on your "Proper photos” and leave the ones that have had "minimal pp work" alone ;)

Your explode sky is fantastic. Great capture, great colours.
Your packet does nothing for me and the bubbles and candy in water is oof and too noisy. Sorry.

Your star trails are also excellent. You have taken some good photos over the last few weeks, I do hope you keep at it. Nothing wrong with pp art, but I think you have great skill at "pure photography" (y)

All the best,

Adie

Hiya Adie

Thanks for the comments. My expressing myself is that I have been feeling very uninspired lately, not only by the themes, but the fact that some don't seem to like the way I use photography in combination with my creativity. My photo52 project has developed as I have over the past few months.

I'd love to be able to capture in camera the ideas I have for an image, but I still have a lot to learn about photography.

I'm glad you like the explode sky and the light trails. The candy one was a bit of a gimmick shot and I was quite disappointed it didn't turn out like I had intended it to, but heyho that is how we learn.

Thanks for your confidence too in my 'pure photography' skill ..... although I still have much to learn.

Cheers

Rapid = time flies.....great thought process....The celestial body adds impact to the photograph/image

Rapid = star trails?
Not so sure on the link.....shoe horned I think lol
Nice image for sure, one to be proud of but IMO as it was not taken specifically for last weeks theme I won't comment further....

Rapid = time flies.....great thought process....The celestial body adds impact to the photograph/image

Rapid = star trails?
Not so sure on the link.....shoe horned I think lol
Nice image for sure, one to be proud of but IMO as it was not taken specifically for last weeks theme I won't comment further....

Hiya Jeff,

Thanks for popping past to comment. Glad you like the Rapid = Time Flies (y)

As for the star trails being 'shoe horned' ... as you put it .... I don't think that is quite appropriate ....have you ever done star trails and realise how quickly they actually move?

Regards the 'not taken specifically for the theme' .... well .... I hate to disappoint .... so I will upload a photo that was taken specific for the theme, AFTER it was announced :D

Cheers

Hiya all,

Before moving on to week 42, I have been in deliberation about adding a final image for my 'Rapid' theme.

This one was shot with the intention of rapid, but I thought too many would post similar, yet to my surprise ... there haven't been that many ... so I thought I would throw it into the bag, especially as it is current and specific.

This is a photo of the river that flows near the campsite we frequent (or should that be reside for the winter as we will be visiting often enough :LOL:)

I have never seen it in such full force in the 2 years that I have been visiting the site, so it was great to get down low in the river and take some shots.

I can't wait for it to be full blown winter .... apparently the river is totally transformed and each day is a different scene :woot:

So here is my final take on 'Rapid' before I upload the current theme of 'Weave'.

(BTW I've decided to post two .... because I like both)

6266473138_027b8ca968_b.jpg

[/url] Rapid (9800) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

6265951639_0bd1b30535_b.jpg

[/url] Rapid (9801) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Any c&c greatly appreciated.

Right now I better get my A into gear and post the recent theme of 'Weave', which I have been deliberating about for a week :LOL:

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi, still await your weave....:wave:

These rapid....hhmmm, they're a bit too close for me and, as a consequence, loose some of the impact. They could be photographs of water in a garden pond, if you know what I mean. There's nothing to give them a sense of scale. They look a bit dark and over sharpened on my laptop.

This is, I suspect, the first time I've had to give you such C&C.

Now I know your weave photographs will balance things out.

These rapid....hhmmm, they're a bit too close for me and, as a consequence, loose some of the impact. They could be photographs of water in a garden pond, if you know what I mean. There's nothing to give them a sense of scale. They look a bit dark and over sharpened on my laptop.

Hiya Andy,

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and know what you mean. I was in two minds about the crops .... i.e., to leave out the blurred stepping stones etc in the background, or to focus on the motion of the water :thinking:

Having said that though, there is something about these images that is so soothing for me. Especially when I am listening to the Celtic music that I love so much, there is a certain vibe about them that fits so well.

But I will take your kind critique into consideration and remember same at the next shoot.

BTW 'Weave' will be arriving soon :D

Cheers

Nothing to add to Andy but you are doing farrrr better than I ;) (y)

I don't listen to much Celtic music but I can see/hear what you're saying.

Thank you.... glad you can understand where I am coming from with these (y)

Nothing to add to Andy but you are doing farrrr better than I ;) (y)

Hiya Tina, long time no see, glad to see you back with us. I have been slacking lately .... not been too well, which has had a major impact on me psychologically and physically. However, I am trying to keep up. So thank you for your kind words.

Cheers

Hiya Dawn, just been having a look through your pics I have missed.

Rapid, the 2nd water shot is my preferred one out of those 2, I like the motion you have captured there. I really like your clock picture, with the moon added, that works very well for me. I love star trail pics, (y), which reminds me, I must get round to buying a remote release. Back into explode, your sunset picture is great, a very strong pic. (y)

Mentalblock said:
I think Andy has hit the nail on the head there with the crop/ closeness.

It's probably the OH's computer, but they look a little dark.

Love the idea though.

That's it young Neil...blame the better half...:D

Hiya Dawn, just been having a look through your pics I have missed.

Rapid, the 2nd water shot is my preferred one out of those 2, I like the motion you have captured there. I really like your clock picture, with the moon added, that works very well for me. I love star trail pics, (y), which reminds me, I must get round to buying a remote release. Back into explode, your sunset picture is great, a very strong pic. (y)

Hiya Michael, hope you have had a great holiday. Thank you for the comments on the past few weeks pics. A remote release is a must if you are doing star trails, light trails or light painting and is well worth investing in.

I think Andy has hit the nail on the head there with the crop/ closeness.

It's probably the OH's computer, but they look a little dark.

Love the idea though.

Hiya Neil

Thanks for the feedback and comments. It is difficult to judge how dark they look, because they don't look too dark on my large monitor, but on my netbook they do look darker :thinking: must be due to different calibrations.

Now I better quickly upload 'weave' before I go out to a wedding reception tonight.

Cheers

Hiya

Thanks all for the comments and feedback on the previous week/s.

This week I have taken a few different shots for weave and was trying to decide which to include in my project. After much deliberation I have chosen to go with these:

1. Basket Weave

6261847562_ee05be47d1_b.jpg

[/url] Wood weave by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

2. Light Weave
6261848010_79e69fea75_b.jpg

[/url] Light weave by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

My son and I had fun doing this one for the theme. We are enjoying doing light painting now that the nights are drawing in.

3. Bead Weave

a) Bead weave art
6261323747_c84676eb59_b.jpg

[/url] Bead weave by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

b) South African flag
6269803228_da11980215_b.jpg

[/url] SA flag bead weave by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

African bead weave is something I love and have quite a few pieces of jewellery and ornaments which I have acquired over the years living there. It is amazing to watch how they make their artworks and how quickly they do it too.

4. Weave
6266481298_c15da39e43_b.jpg
[/url]
Weave by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I bought myself a tapestry bag the other week so I decided to use this too as tapestry is weaving of threads. I photographed various letters of the words on the bag to form a sort of weave montage :D

Hope you like these as much as I enjoyed putting this project together this week.

As always, will be great to hear your c&c on these.

Now off to a wedding reception tonight, so I will catch up on commenting on all the other threads tomorrow.

Oh, and the new theme for week 43 is going to be great fun for me :D

Cheers

Hi Hun

your 1st image for weave hits the spot for me...love the angle , the simple colors , the texture & the symetry in the shot....wonderful :clap:

Of the others I like the SA flag & the WEAVE of tapestry letters however the light weave does nothing for me...but light painting is fun (y)

Glad to see you back on form after such a torrid time ...:clap:

Stop the press!!!! I love the colours in your flag... That's your weave shot... !!

Hiya Kev, thanks for the comments (y)

Grrrrr.... I've already posted a reply but it's vanished into the ether....

#1 is a very competent shot on theme, good colour. my favourite is the SA flag (y)

The others just don't appeal to me :shrug: sorry :(

Hiya Tina, don't you just hate it when you have composed a reply and it vanishes? ..... that has happened to me a few time :bang:.

Thank you for the feedback and comments on the first & flag.

Appreciate the others may not hit the mark for everyone, they were more a different view of the subject.

Hi Hun

your 1st image for weave hits the spot for me...love the angle , the simple colors , the texture & the symetry in the shot....wonderful :clap:

Of the others I like the SA flag & the WEAVE of tapestry letters however the light weave does nothing for me...but light painting is fun (y)

Glad to see you back on form after such a torrid time ...:clap:

Hiya Lynne,

Thanks for the kind comments about the shots you like. The light painting one was more a bit of fun :D

I'm starting to get back into the groove again ;)

Cheers

Nicely explored Dawn, lovin the psychedelic shot

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for the feedback .... by psychedelic .... are you referring to #2?

Cheers

Hi,

Your basket weave is nicely lit and composed.

Something bothered me about the sharpness though so I peeked at the exif on flickr...

Exposure

Aperture
f/25.0

Focal Length
48 mm

ISO Speed

f/25 ??????????????????????

May I suggest you read the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson - esp. P56.
(I could lend you the book if you are happy to pay postage)

Hi,

Your basket weave is nicely lit and composed.

Something bothered me about the sharpness though so I peeked at the exif on flickr...

Exposure

Aperture
f/25.0

Focal Length
48 mm

ISO Speed

f/25 ??????????????????????

May I suggest you read the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson - esp. P56.
(I could lend you the book if you are happy to pay postage)

Hiya Jeff,

Thanks I may just get a copy of the book myself ;)

As for the sharpness .... there seems to be some IQ lost when downloading pics from Picknick :bang:

Dawn

Dawn,

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/diffraction.htm

Scrowl down to the bottom of this link and check out the examples - very telling...
Look at the f/ value you shot at.....

He states "Unless you absolutely need depth of field, avoid apertures smaller than f/8 on modern digital SLRs. Their resolving power is so great that you will soften your images by stopping down unnecessarily. This is why many point-and-shoot cameras don't stop down past f/8."

Hi Dawn,

Firstly, I've added you on flickr. Is there a 52 group?

I like your second shot for rapid (light trails). Nicely caught and an interesting subject.

I quite like all of the weaves, but the SA flag, and the lights do it for me.

(y)

Back