Drunken lock out?

Oh Jesus Christ.....Again?

i think there are more important things to be worrying about and/or discussed rather than how much alcohol a particular person or group of persons consumes.

If you feel that, why did you post on the thread. I think it's very important and a telling sign of our society that others don't care or think excess alcohol consumption is a serious issue. If you don't feel that way, you need not post on this thread.

??

How would this rationing work?

Same way it did in the war, or like an oyster card system. Maybe just made very very expensive. Like Finland, but 3x the cost on that

The point is this country we have a lot of drunken incidents and cases like this prove as a society the en mass alcohol issues need dealt with.

Same way it did in the war, or like an oyster card system. Maybe just made very very expensive. Like Finland, but 3x the cost on that

The point is this country we have a lot of drunken incidents and cases like this prove as a society the en mass alcohol issues need dealt with.

you do know Finland has a drink problem very similar to our own right, binge drinking causing reckless drunken behaviour at the weekends, that kind of thing.

To be honest, I don't give a toss about the drinking - It's the fact that BOTH slappers decided it was fine to leave the house with 2 unattended children. Heaven forbid that an accidental fire happened etc.

To be honest, I don't give a toss about the drinking - It's the fact that BOTH slappers decided it was fine to leave the house with 2 unattended children. Heaven forbid that an accidental fire happened etc.

If they hadn't been drunk I bet they wouldn't have done that. Thats the point, drinking like that makes people do very bad things. I am confident they would not have done that had they drunk a more moderate amount and been more/fully in control of their actions.

Even still, leaving two small children isn't the best, drunk or not.

Yes that totally!

Yes that totally!

Hence the severe sentence, but I suspect a more moderate amount of alcohol consumed (say 1 bottle between the 2 of them, rather than 3 bottles between the 2 of them) this wouldn't have happened. It's a very unhealthy amount of alochol to consume in one sitting.

because theyre like car crashes, you just cant look away.

pop me on ignore....

The trouble is Steve, there is that trouble that the drink was the cause but mentally I think that will also account for it regardless of the consumption of alcohol - I received a drink driving ban around 11 years ago - I was still coherent enough to get in the car at my own decision and drive home to be caught (And I'm completely guilty for what I did). These two women shouldn't be treated any different, we all have the option to choose our actions and now these two fine examples are suffering the consequences!

Reactions: ST4

Does that not go against the basic principle of liberalization?

Anyway - as it happens I have little issue with increasing taxes on harmful things - but in this case (like your card suggestion) it wont work. It wont work for a number of reasons - one might be that I don't drink, would I get an alcohol card, and could I not simply sell my alcohol on (similar things happened during the war of course). Or what about those who choose to brew their own?

It would open the potential for black market system. And the fact would remain that you would be punishing 99% of population for the actions of 1%.

Personally - my opinion is to change attitudes. Look at other nations and learn from their approach/attitude.

Or.....You know...you get the police to act when someone repeat offends, or clearly shows their are incapable of looking after kids.

Hence the severe sentence, but I suspect a more moderate amount of alcohol consumed (say 1 bottle between the 2 of them, rather than 3 bottles between the 2 of them) this wouldn't have happened. It's a very unhealthy amount of alochol to consume in one sitting.

Yeah I get you and I'd like to think they wouldn't have been so stupid leaving the kids if they'd been sober..

They knew they had kids in the house so they should have known to stop... Common sense really! :)

The trouble is Steve, there is that trouble that the drink was the cause but mentally I think that will also account for it regardless of the consumption of alcohol - I received a drink driving ban around 11 years ago - I was still coherent enough to get in the car at my own decision and drive home to be caught (And I'm completely guilty for what I did). These two women shouldn't be treated any different, we all have the option to choose our actions and now these two fine examples are suffering the consequences!

You may be right. It's a poor show but I've seen normally decent people do bad things, say bad things, under the influence of a lot of alcohol only to wake up and deeply regret their actions the next day.

I think the justice here is about right, jail is no place of them - not for a 1st offence and a suspended sentence will keep them on their toes, but I feel had they drank less, I suspect this wouldn't have happened.

I thoroughly dislike this countries alcohol culture, I will always speak out about it and the dangers of too much alcohol. 3 bottles of wine between two people is a crazy amount of booze, and bad for health. People, if they drink like that, need to question why and what makes them do it. Are they depressed, can they not amuse themselves in more healthy ways, why drink to get drunk. Its terrible.

They knew they had kids in the house so they should have known to stop... Common sense really! :)

Common sense goes out the window when you are as intoxicated as that....

They should be banned from buying alcohol. Like driving, owning a gun, it should be a licenced activity in my view. Cases like this only strengthen that.

Does that not go against the basic principle of liberalization?

Anyway - as it happens I have little issue with increasing taxes on harmful things - but in this case (like your card suggestion) it wont work. It wont work for a number of reasons - one might be that I don't drink, would I get an alcohol card, and could I not simply sell my alcohol on (similar things happened during the war of course). Or what about those who choose to brew their own?

It would open the potential for black market system. And the fact would remain that you would be punishing 99% of population for the actions of 1%.

Personally - my opinion is to change attitudes. Look at other nations and learn from their approach/attitude.

Or.....You know...you get the police to act when someone repeat offends, or clearly shows their are incapable of looking after kids.

What works in France, Italy, Spain would be suicide here. Have you seen what Brits are like abroad in places like Ibiza - they turn a place into a bear pit. Stricter control has to be the way. Liberal or not. I am not a particularly liberal minded person.

What works in France, Italy, Spain would be suicide here. Have you seen what Brits are like abroad in places like Ibiza - they turn a place into a bear pit. Stricter control has to be the way. Liberal or not. I am not a particularly liberal minded person.

Steve, you've told us in previous threads that you are or intend to be a UKIP supporter, but they're the only party with a "regular" drinker in charge. Even his wife says he drinks too much, and his father apparently had a serious problem with drink. :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...nd-smokes-too-much-says-his-wife-Kirsten.html

http://wwwSPAM-magazine.co.uk/comme...el-farage-alastair-campbell-interview/viewall

Have you seen what Brits are like abroad in places like Ibiza - they turn a place into a bear pit.

Sure - and guess what....Places like Ibiza encourage it because it makes good economic sense.

The better bet is to restrict nightclubs and restrict cheap drinks (if you ask me). Its things like that that foster the attitude you don't like. Not some granny going to buy loads of bottles of wine for a dinner party.

Speaking of drinking attitudes though - I'm from Norwich. Not exactly the night club capital of the world ill admit - but we do have maybe 10 or so down one (locally well known) street. On that street maybe one or two (reported) incidents a week. But we have to take that in context - On a Friday/Sat night literally x1000s of people enjoy themselves, spend loads of cash etc. And objectively speaking 99% of them cause no harm.

And I would hope the remaining 1% who cause issues are dealt with individually.

It would open the potential for black market system.

And revitalise the economy of Kent as people rediscover the ancient traditional craft of smuggling. We might even get one of those EU protected trades designations and a grant from the Arts Council. Really, I can't see anything against this idea.

Steve, you've told us in previous threads that you are or intend to be a UKIP supporter, but they're the only party with a "regular" drinker in charge. Even his wife says he drinks too much, and his father apparently had a serious problem with drink. :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...nd-smokes-too-much-says-his-wife-Kirsten.html

http://wwwSPAM-magazine.co.uk/comme...el-farage-alastair-campbell-interview/viewall

There's more to the party than the leader. And I do not approve of such heavy drinking.

And revitalise the economy of Kent as people rediscover the ancient traditional craft of smuggling. We might even get one of those EU protected trades designations and a grant from the Arts Council. Really, I can't see anything against this idea.

People might just drink less. Especially if the penalties are high for being drunk in public.

Sure - and guess what....Places like Ibiza encourage it because it makes good economic sense.

The better bet is to restrict nightclubs and restrict cheap drinks (if you ask me). Its things like that that foster the attitude you don't like. Not some granny going to buy loads of bottles of wine for a dinner party.

Speaking of drinking attitudes though - I'm from Norwich. Not exactly the night club capital of the world ill admit - but we do have maybe 10 or so down one (locally well known) street. On that street maybe one or two (reported) incidents a week. But we have to take that in context - On a Friday/Sat night literally x1000s of people enjoy themselves, spend loads of cash etc. And objectively speaking 99% of them cause no harm.

And I would hope the remaining 1% who cause issues are dealt with individually.

No, but short of monitoring individuals what can you do. The 1% have caused society to bring in all sorts of laws ranging from speed limits, corruption laws, etc. SOmething needs done to stop this drink culture. Sadly civilised people will feel the pain.

There is no reason for late night drinking beyond 11pm that I can see, nor for people to buy alcohol as cheaply as it is now. I paid more a soft drink in a restaurant than my friend did for beer. Thats shocking.

Such a touching faith in the powers of law and order. Remind me how Prohibition worked out.

Quite well. A lot obeyed the law and didn't drink. You just need to go into a city centre and see how much the police have to deal with, never mind incidents like this. Once you have the main heavy drinking centres curtailed, the police will be able to deal with this sort of thing.

There's more to the party than the leader. And I do not approve of such heavy drinking.

There's a lot less to the party than the slap-faced leader would have you believe.

Back