ebay idiots

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I've been having such fun recently....

Just sold a dSLR. Stated clearly that I only post to UK and to confirmed paypal address. Packaged it up and shipped it to the address. Same day I get an email from the buyer saying how he's in Poland now, friends at that address are on holiday, just post it to Poland. Blah blah blah. This went on forever as I banged my head against the wall trying to explain that it's in a mail van on its way to London and even if I could somehow get it back I'm not going to post it to some random address!

Sold a mint Yashica Mat 124G. 40 odd year old camera. Beautiful camera that I really wish I didn't have to sell. Being the nice guy I am I even up the postage to special delivery (£12) when I only charged £5 as the buyer wanted it quick and seemed like a nice chap. He only had it in his hand a few hours before the email came.... Slight dent to the metal lid on the waist-level finder lid (seriously?! I can't even see it in the pics and it's a 40yo camera!), reckons the shutter is intermittent (even though I never had a problem in a years worth of film running though it), and a couple of other equally minor things. Where's he going with this email? I think.... Surprise surprise, at the end of the email "I don't think it's worth what I paid". That old chestnut. Let me guess, you'd like a partial refund, yes??

Then there was the guy who bought my old G5 Powermac which was collect only. Theses things weight a ton and is worth more in scrap than as a computer. What was wrong with this chap? He lived in Madrid FFS!

And this is on top of all the regular stupid questions you get when selling stuff. You can have a picture of a blue t-shirt, advertised as a blue t-shirt, and some muppet will email to ask "what colour is da t-shirt, m8?"!

Makes me wonder why I bother. Especially given the ridiculous fees eBay seem to charge these days. I just wish a serious competitor to eBay could show up and seriously undercut them and I'd leave in a flash!

:agree:
I know exactly how you feel. I recently sold some Koi pond filters and pond related equipment it was all advertised as for auction and personal collection only.
the number of questions I got was unbelievable from "have you got a buy it now price" to "I live in Devon how much to post it?" in total 32 emails asking questions when all the answers were in the advert.
I think they are just lazy people who ask questions first.
the best one was the 3KW heater it was sold to a guy in eastbourne after winning the auction he asked how much the postage would be!
he got rather shirty when I explained it was personal collection only. :wacky:

Haha. Yeah, they act like you're being some sort of pantomime villain, don't they?!

The Polish guy who bought the dSLR even sent me this gem on an email:

HI.I arrange courier myself and pay for it.Im not from Africa or Russia.Im plenty of time on ebay and I got just possitive feedback. Why dont you make problems.Many times I ordered courier from uk to Poland everything was ok.I lived 7 years in uk but now I moved to PL and haven't any way to collect the camera.
"Why you make problems" FFS.

For your protection make sure it only gets posted to the confirmed ebay / paypal address

I can hear the grinding of teeth and steam billowing out of ears from here.

However, the increasing number of sales/swaps pages on Facebook, whether it's local or nationwide, mean that it won't be long before eBay's role as a buy/sell web site will be numbered.

I've only been visiting these boards a short time and so I've been locked out of the sales part for a while. I wish I'd known how popular they were before I decided to have a big clear-out! I'm definitely moving towards forums etc for selling stuff on as it avoids eBay's horrendous fees and you tend to get better buyers. I used to buy/sell on a guitar forum quite a bit and never had a problem...

... but you do have to sell cheaper.

Mind you its works both ways, I bid on a flash gun that was badly described on ebay and won the auction. The seller contacted me asking if I would cancel the auction as the price the gun made was less than he had paid for it. :confused:

I did not see the item but did get my money back.

I once sold an eight foot rowing boat on e-bay for £49.99. Guy turned up to collect, and yes you've guessed it, handed me £49.99.
You just wouldn't would you! :rolleyes:

I just wish a serious competitor to eBay could show up and seriously undercut them and I'd leave in a flash!

I often wonder how much it would cost to set something up, just like how ebay used to be before the corporate greed set in.

I once sold an eight foot rowing boat on e-bay for £49.99. Guy turned up to collect, and yes you've guessed it, handed me £49.99.

I would happily chip in £10.1 to make it a nice round £60 just to see the expression on your face. :D :ROFLMAO:

He could of offered you a £50 note and then waited for the change. :whistle:

There's Gumtree as a slight alternative, although it's actually owned by eBay so fees can't be too far away. You are encouraged to deal face-to-face with the village idiot local customer on Gumtree for a secure and safe transaction, although there seems to be precious little certainty that some items are actually where they are said to be in the country. Then there is the guy who listed a vehicle costing several thousand on Gumtree the other day and then told me he was going on holiday and I should contact him in 3 weeks when he was back! At least I got a response from him, whereas no-one else will for the next 3 weeks. :bat:

I would happily chip in £10.1 to make it a nice round £60 just to see the expression on your face. :D :ROFLMAO:

Sure that's not supposed to be £10.01, Ian?

I joined eBay in 2002 ish. It was a fantastic group then. Seems corporate greed and stupidity has taken over since and it's no longer a group.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

I sold my bits and bobs on Gumtree, so far not had a problem with selling stuff. Did get a few people trying it on by offering me a lesser price, even though I did state NO OFFERS! But dealing face to face, I can look them in the eye when I say I want the asking price. They can tell by the steely hard stare I give, plus I take hold of the item and make as I am not interested in selling to them. They then know I am not messing about.

I don't believe I will ever sell anything on ebay ever again, I would rather do it via Gumtree/Preloved, or facebook selling page.

I think for a lot of us ebay is just not worth it, it's time for something new and refreshing

Last edited:
Confused Now, post one and three are now back :thinking:

Ahh think I get it now....

Last edited:
Uh Oh Got Banned I see :eek: wasn't me snitching !
No but you are getting the blame :p
Just kidding :)
Confused Now, post one and three are now back :thinking:
Sometimes members don't like responses they get, or they over some issue or another, and go on a deleting their post, spree.
This is actually against the rules and is classed as disruptive editing.

As it makes the threads the have posted in, seem utterly pointless and nonsensical.
We step in and re-instate the posts,
to bring clarity back to the subject / thread in hand :)

Last edited:
No but you are getting the blame :p
Just kidding :)

Sometimes members don't like responses they get, or they over some issue or another, and go on a deleting their post, spree.
This is actually against the rules and is classed as disruptive editing.

As it makes the threads the have posted in, seem utterly pointless and nonsensical.
We step in and re-instate the posts,
to bring clarity back to the subject / thread in hand :)

I was reading the other thread that got nasty, I normally like to keep clear when threads go downhill that way. I suppose that's why the boot up the back side came in :rolleyes:

Last edited:
on the flip side a guy bid on a load of mini parts and tools and won most of them for 99p. he got an amazing deal and he knew it because he gave me a tenner, which was well over the total due to pay.

:D

on the flip side a guy bid on a load of mini parts and tools and won most of them for 99p. he got an amazing deal and he knew it because he gave me a tenner, which was well over the total due to pay.

:D

If you're buying you can sometimes get excellent deals by bidding well in advance (days) and see how it goes.

Mind you if I'm buying photographic stuff I'd always buy on here rather than anywhere else as long as the seller has a good track record.

Can you bid up in 1p increments? If not, I can only guess that it was a BIN price. In that case, I would hand over £50 but would expect the penny change exactly as I would if I bought something in a shop for £?.99.

Back