eBay selling changes coming.

Ah, I think you've got me confused with the Press Gazette ... in fact I think you are now very confused, or trying to dig yourself out of a hole.
I'll just leave you there though now :)

Please tell me how you can withdraw any money from Contax bank account with just his account number and sort code?
Yes you could pay into it and without further details, you won't be able to register it with a charity for a direct debit (which if I remember correctly what someone tried to do with Jeremy Clarksons bank details).

Safe guarding your own bank details is totally understandable but please don't help to spread misinformation.
I'm not having a pop at you Gramps, I've known of you for a very long time on here and I know you are a decent fella :)

please don't help to spread misinformation.

Show me where I have done so.
Are you suggesting that the Press report is false, i.e. it didn't happen to Clarkson?
Where did I ever say I could withdraw money from Contax' bank account?

What I did say is that I don't want more people having MY bank details.

Show me where I have done so.
Are you suggesting that the Press report is false, i.e. it didn't happen to Clarkson?
Where did I ever say I could withdraw money from Contax' bank account?

What I did say is that I don't want more people having MY bank details.

Again, as I said, you have the right to protect your personal information and like you, I would never publish my bank details for all and sundry to see.
I honestly thought the point was to try and withdraw from an account without further details (which I assumed was the point Contax was talking about).
Clarkson was an absolute idiot by giving someone the idea on how to obtain his address, that was my point about someome trying to link an account to charity.

Again, as I said, you have the right to protect your personal information and like you, I would never publish my bank details for all and sundry to see.
I honestly thought the point was to try and withdraw from an account without further details (which I assumed was the point Contax was talking about).
Clarkson was an absolute idiot by giving someone the idea on how to obtain his address, that was my point about someome trying to link an account to charity.
Contax has his own agenda, my concern was, and is, with my own personal data.

Contax has his own agenda, my concern was, and is, with my own personal data.
A concern which is not based on any evidence, rationale or logic.

I've no problem with you wearing your tinfoil hat in private, but when you start parading your ignorance on a public forum then you should expect to get called out for it.

Not ebay, I know but Mrs Nod accepts papal payments for her Yoga classes and if someone pays for a single class which costs £6.50, papal take 50p in fees. Thankfully, very few people a) buy single classes and b) pay using papal!

But that is still miles cheaper than using a local auction house, and eBay gives you a worldwide market potential

I don't think it is, actually. Auction houses take between 12.5% - 20% so that's now auction house territory. Yes, it does give you a global audience but so do auction houses nowadays and TBH, since we left the EU I've not sold a thing outside the UK so even that is now all but redundant.

I don't think it is, actually. Auction houses take between 12.5% - 20% so that's now auction house territory. Yes, it does give you a global audience but so do auction houses nowadays and TBH, since we left the EU I've not sold a thing outside the UK so even that is now all but redundant.

Don't forget the obligatory VAT with an Auction House

There is no advantage unless you sell on the £1 deal days. If you sell an item for £50, you get £49. No paypal fees. With the old rules, you'd get £46ish. More savings on higher value items. E.g. my lens sold for £300. I got £299. In the Paypal days, I would have got £278ish?

Yes, it is much better now as long as they continue £1 listing deal. Make the most of it while it lasts

You were previously paying around 14% through ebay anyway before this change as you needed to take PayPal for payment. Yes the fees are a pain, but no higher than using any other auction provider

You were previously paying around 14% through ebay anyway before this change as you needed to take PayPal for payment. Yes the fees are a pain, but no higher than using any other auction provider

I'm not sure they've done themselves any favours raising the fees to this level. I've noticed loads of retail businesses have stopped trading on there now as there's just no margin for profit after fees. My feeling is that whilst I will still use them for some stuff it's going to be a last resort, unless it's the £1 listing days. Before they were a no brainer. Now I have to stop and work out if it will be worth my while.

I'm not sure they've done themselves any favours raising the fees to this level. I've noticed loads of retail businesses have stopped trading on there now as there's just no margin for profit after fees. My feeling is that whilst I will still use them for some stuff it's going to be a last resort, unless it's the £1 listing days. Before they were a no brainer. Now I have to stop and work out if it will be worth my while.
I still don’t get why you say this? The total fees have barely changed, it’s a 1% difference over what you paid before

I still don’t get why you say this? The total fees have barely changed, it’s a 1% difference over what you paid before

I hadn't sold much on eBay lately so hadn't noticed them gradually creep up. It wasn't until this last change that I looked at it properly and realised how much I was paying in commission. I'm still traumatised.

I hadn't sold much on eBay lately so hadn't noticed them gradually creep up. It wasn't until this last change that I looked at it properly and realised how much I was paying in commission. I'm still traumatised.
eBay fees have been 10% for a few years. PayPal fees have always been pretty much the same too.

Just wait for the £1 max selling fees, I always use the offer, saves a fortune and they do come up pretty regular. If you are selling items for £100 or more it is a no brainer.

Just wait for the £1 max selling fees, I always use the offer, saves a fortune and they do come up pretty regular. If you are selling items for £100 or more it is a no brainer.

I'm waiting for the next one! I've got stuff in the classify for about 15-20£ above MBP prices and it's not shifting ;-/.
I missed one a few weeks ago I think.

I have a £750 lens for sale, i don't fancy paying full fee on that!

Last edited:
Just had an Email from Ebay, £1 sellers fees is back. That is about 4 I have had in 6 weeks or so.
Time to sell the guitar :)

ebay.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not "invited" :-(. I have two offer but there are pretty poor offer to take!

ebay.jpg

Mine's popped just now. I was (close to) last on the register at school :)

I can see why Ebay is doing this - it makes them a bit more like Amazon, they'll make more money out of sellers and, like Amazon, will probably eventually end up holding on to seller's money for a very long time.

And there may be a big downside for buyers too, because right now PayPal provides protection that Ebay doesn't. Here's my example . . .
I bought a car battery starter via Ebay, about £40, to be kept in the car just in case. There wasn't any easy way of testing it at the time because my battery was fully charged, but 2 months later I needed to use it and found that it was faulty.

Ebay wasn't interested because my purchase was more than 30 days old.
The seller ignored my request for a return and refund because he could. So, I contacted PayPal and 7 days later they refunded my money

I had something very similar with an aquarium heater packing up after 6 weeks
Ebay was no help and neither was PayPal, that was the last time I bought an electrical item from ebay
I now buy anything electrical in fact anything costing more than a few pounds from amazon

Ebay was no help and neither was PayPal, that was the last time I bought an electrical item from ebay
I now buy anything electrical in fact anything costing more than a few pounds from amazon

I generally only use eBay for stuff I can't find on Amazon.

I generally only use eBay for stuff I can't find on Amazon.
I get this, Amazon are better to deal with, as a customer.
BUT, they are a nightmare for sellers. Basically they charge so much for their services that they take virtually all the profits (on average, their fees have increased from 18% to 30% in the last 5 years), they pay sellers late, they almost always give refunds even when the claims are fraudulent and their entire system reduces the choices available to buyers.

The way things are going, they'll be the only show in town soon, things will then get even worse and we'll all then be wishing that we'd bought from other platforms.

I get this, Amazon are better to deal with, as a customer.
BUT, they are a nightmare for sellers. Basically they charge so much for their services that they take virtually all the profits (on average, their fees have increased from 18% to 30% in the last 5 years), they pay sellers late, they almost always give refunds even when the claims are fraudulent and their entire system reduces the choices available to buyers.

The way things are going, they'll be the only show in town soon, things will then get even worse and we'll all then be wishing that we'd bought from other platforms.

Possibly. It's a tough one but when you live on a small island as I do, you have no choice but to order most stuff online. Often that's the first time you'll see the item or try it so a generous return policy is a must. Most other online retailers make returns complicated and frowned upon. Amazon doesn't and so for most buyers they win hands down. If I can buy local I will, even more so after this horrendous period but sadly that's rarely possible.

Reactions: Sky
Some brilliant points raised by everyone, a real insight, thanks for the information.

Well the £1 deal is live this weekend once again. I've got a lot of stuff to sell but sadly I'm not quite ready for it...
How do you find out about £1 deals? I don't think I've ever had an email about it...

It's a £3 FVF deal this weekend (for me anyway). I wonder if because I only sell on the £1 deals that they are trying to eke a tiny bit more cash out of me...

You'll get a message in your eBay message inbox.
If you have a smartphone and use the eBay app, you'll get an alert when you get an eBay message. The red notification is much easier to spot than continually having to check your eBay messages. I can't remember ever being told about it over email.

There is no advantage unless you sell on the £1 deal days. If you sell an item for £50, you get £49. No paypal fees. With the old rules, you'd get £46ish. More savings on higher value items. E.g. my lens sold for £300. I got £299. In the Paypal days, I would have got £278ish?

Unfortunately, there’s another £0.30 deduction on every sale, irrespective of any ‘special seller offer’ in force. I bowed to Ebay’s request a month ago, but haven’t been offered any £1 selling weekends since.

Couple weeks back I finally got chance sign up.
I was then offered 80% off final fees which still worked out cheaper than PayPal.
This weekend I've been offered 50% off final fees which is mostly worst than £3 final fees offer some people got and worst than PayPal. :(

So far no £1 final fees but it's only been couple weeks.

Last edited:
This weekends is £3 selling fees ..but caveat emptor it has to be sold in the initial posting period ,so if it’s re.advertised next week it’s full fees again ….
Not to sure I like this new concept . As to pay any PayPal fees I now have to do bank transfers etc instead of paying from my pp balance

I hate it already, they wanted ID photo and gave me a £3 final fee.

Not sure but it looks like the funds will have a delay also and i would bet it will be open to fraud and other nonsense

For me this week it is 50% final fee... I think the offer really change person to person to which you get when. I actually just sold my tamron 150-600 today.
Last time I sold was no fee at all for 3 items and the money went straight to my bank account after a few days so no paypal fee.
Honestly it was a good deal, paypal use to take a too big cut for actually doing nothing.

Last edited:
Back