Ebola Case In Glasgow Confirmed - New Case In Northampton

It really is a most rotten turn of events. Hope she hangs in there and battles the condition.

So do I. I do hope its not spread further...

well it didn't last year (in the Uk i mean) , so there's no particular reason why it should this time either , especially as she'd know she was carrying it - see multiple previous posts about it not being airbourne and the need for large droplet transmission etc etc

well it didn't last year (in the Uk i mean) , so there's no particular reason why it should this time either , especially as she'd know she was carrying it - see multiple previous posts about it not being airbourne and the need for large droplet transmission etc etc

Sexually etc it can be transmitted, there is a chance...

WHO say that female to male transmission is theoretically possible but has never been clinically observed - go back and read your (and others) 'we are all going to die !!!!' posts from last year when the outbreak first was big news and then compare them to the actual facts of what happened

Reports suggest males can carry it for a long time:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34530948

But are there any cases which suggest this as a mode of transmission so long after the initial infection?

Let's face it, cold sores are a form of Herpes, and the virus is carried in the body for life once contracted. Dormant, but present and occassionally recurring.
Has the planet been overrun with Herpes Simplex? No.

Panic merchants are not comfortable without something to panic about.

I thought it an interesting article as to the way's the virus can live in the body for longer. There's more studies and investigations going on, part of which must be as to how this poor nurse was reinfected. wasn't one of the other nurses that survived last year saying they were heading out to help the patients again as they would now be immune having survived?

I thought it an interesting article as to the way's the virus can live in the body for longer. There's more studies and investigations going on, part of which must be as to how this poor nurse was reinfected. wasn't one of the other nurses that survived last year saying they were heading out to help the patients again as they would now be immune having survived?

That's just it though. I doubt very much that she as "re-infected", but rather the virus lay dormant within her body before re-appearing.

Health officials have imposed twice-daily temperature checks and travel restrictions on 58 people who had close contact with Pauline Cafferkey, the Scottish nurse who was diagnosed with Ebola in December and fell ill again last week with complications related to the disease.

Of the 58, 40 were confirmed as having had direct contact with the nurse’s bodily fluids and were offered an Ebola vaccine in line with criteria set out by an expert advisory group that includes Health Protection Scotland, Public Health England and the Scottish government. Of those 40, 25 have accepted the vaccine and a further 15 have either declined it or were unable to receive it due to existing medical conditions.

Obviously contact with bodily fluids and hence risk, is more likely than some may imagine!

That's just it though. I doubt very much that she as "re-infected", but rather the virus lay dormant within her body before re-appearing.

That is my reading of it, Ruth and I heard it reported today that the ebola virus will remain in men longer than women.

Seems to be a characteristic of some viruses. Get chicken pox as a kid and the virus remains and can surface as shingles in adulthood. I think (I am no medic - BTW) that the cold sore virus (Herpes ?) is similar.

Obviously contact with bodily fluids and hence risk, is more likely than some may imagine!

not really - those will be 40 people who have been caring for her and thus have contact with her vomit/blood/urine etc - if it was as easy as you suggested (wrongly) last year there would be 1000s of people on the list, that there aren't is evidence that contact with bodily fluids and hence risk is indeed as unlikely as those who don't run about panicking suggest.

if we look at the guy who travelled to texas by air while suffering from ebola - and who vomitted in the street before reaching hospital

how many people on his flight contracted the disease from him - none
how many contracted the disease from contact with him - none
how many contracted the disease from him vomiting in the street - none
how many contracted the disease from him in anyway - yep , none.

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. She's not been reinfected and she's not currently suffering from ebola virus disease. She's suffering a complication from the initial infection which is similar to meningitis or hypercytokinemia. Her body has, for some reason, mounted a massive inflammatory response to the dormant viral infection. Causing inflammation and malfunctioning of major organ systems. She's very unlikely to be shedding live, infectious virions.
Why do people love a silly, exaggerated doomsday scenario so much?
Once again, Gramps is desperate for this to be THE END IS NIGH. Despite everyone working in medicine being unconcerned for the safety of anyone other than this unfortunate nurse.

Last edited:
Why do people love a silly, exaggerated doomsday scenario so much?
Once again, Gramps is desperate for this to be THE END IS NIGH. Despite everyone working in medicine being unconcerned for the safety of anyone other than this unfortunate nurse.

As before you are talking rubbish ... nobody except you and one other is bringing 'doomsday' etc into it.
Clearly Ebola is a terrible disease and can behave in a manner unexpected by many, as in the case of this poor nurse, and no doubt the 40 odd people who have been in contact with her bodily fluids will have a worrying time ahead.

So she'll come into closer potential contact with bodily fluids than, say, a car mechanic or an office worker. And by that I mean she could have rubbed her eyes and then touched somebody. The chance of that infecting someone is practically nil but one reason that nobody else is catching this in the UK is that the authorities don't treat hat as nil.

Look back to post 86 from January. None of the doom mongers were confident enough to take my bet then and my guess is they won't know. Ultimately, it's contained and she's in a hospital that still has a 100% cure rate.

I doubt very much that she as "re-infected", but rather the virus lay dormant within her body before re-appearing.
Poor terminology on my part - that's what I meant - ta

She's not been reinfected and she's not currently suffering from ebola virus disease. She's suffering a complication from the initial infection which is similar to meningitis or hypercytokinemia. Her body has, for some reason, mounted a massive inflammatory response to the dormant viral infection. Causing inflammation and malfunctioning of major organ systems.

Ta for the more detailed explanation - that explains things then.

So she'll come into closer potential contact with bodily fluids than, say, a car mechanic or an office worker. And by that I mean she could have rubbed her eyes and then touched somebody. The chance of that infecting someone is practically nil but one reason that nobody else is catching this in the UK is that the authorities don't treat hat as nil.

Look back to post 86 from January. None of the doom mongers were confident enough to take my bet then and my guess is they won't know. Ultimately, it's contained and she's in a hospital that still has a 100% cure rate.

I think you are getting a bit muddled, the report is about other people coming into contact with her bodily fluids, not the other way around!

I think you are getting a bit muddled, the report is about other people coming into contact with her bodily fluids, not the other way around!

Who else's bodily fluids would she have in her eyes?

It's going to be tiny tiny risks. If I were one of those 40 people then I wouldn't be worried.

Really.

Nobody has ever caught ebola in the UK. Every person who has had ebola in the UK has been cured. That makes it safer than, say, flu which will kill 50,000 people or more this winter.
And is also highly transmissible. Unlike ebola.

Nobody has ever caught ebola in the UK. .

Strictly speaking that isn't quite true - a lab worker contracted it in the Uk in 1976 when he inadvertently stabbed himself with an infected needle - he didn't infect anyone else and he didn't die - your general premise is sound though

As before you are talking rubbish ... nobody except you and one other is bringing 'doomsday' etc into it.

As i said to steve go and reread your posts from November -December 2014 - then compare them with what actually happened

for example from page 1 of this thread (my bold)

What chance coming into contact with traces of urine, saliva, sweat or feces on a long-haul flight, bearing in mind the nature of the toilet cubicles and the probability of good (or more likely, any) hand-washing?
Most people would 'exchange' with others every time they walked up/down the aircraft using the top corner of the seat to steady their way.

how many people actually contracted ebola in this way ? I think you'll find the answer is slightly less than 1

or

Actual contact with bodily fluids, which may include tears and sneezed 'material' ... personally I wouldn't want to be on a plane with an ebola victim.
And of course all the discussion about plane travel doesn't address the issue of illegal immigrants ... you only have to think Calais.

how many people caught ebola from being on a plane with a sufferer - zero
how many illegal immigrants brought ebola into the uk - zero

I could go on, but i'm sure the point is clear

Last edited:
Back