elinchrom

This is the latest RX 4 head, bought from UK supplier. Can remember when we bought it there was small print about removing the modelling lamp before fitting the protective cap but cant find the reference now. Also cant find the modelling lamp now to re confirm.

With the right bulb, properly screwed in, it fits under the protective cap. That's why it's big.

Ignore me if I'm teaching my gran to suck eggs, but I'll repeat it as it's often misunderstood.

If you're setting up a temporary studio at home, you can keep the room lights on so you can see what you're doing and focus ok. The flash exposure should be higher enough than the ambient for the lights for them to not register on your exposure.
But a modelling lamp helps u to see a rough idea on how your lighting the subject without pressing the shutter button and taking a test shot

Thanks for the info....i will probably go with the Elinchrom 400/400 D-Lite 4 RX ...Thanks

How much space do you have?

Because of the need for a powerful modelling lamp, my usual approach is to use the modelling lamp at full power, and to then switch it off (for my model's comfort) once I'm done with it.

Also, modeling lights can (I feel SHOULD) be kept bright to keep pupils small and you'll get much better eye colour. If your subject is in dim light the pupils will expand and at the worst extreme you'll see big black blobs and very little eye colour.

Last edited:
<snip>

Also, modeling lights can (I feel SHOULD) be kept bright to keep pupils small and you'll get much better eye colour. If your subject is in dim light the pupils will expand and at the worst extreme you'll see big black blobs and very little eye colour.

That's a good tip :) The counter argument is that eyes are said to look better and more alluring, subconsciously, when pupils are large. A theory perhaps put about by flash manufacturers :D I disagree, and it's one of the few reasons I can think of for shooting portraits with continuous light (the only reason actually).

I just tried it on myself, and with the modelling lamp on full (Elinchrom D-Lite, standard softbox, normal kind of distance) my pupils get much smaller. Needs a good cooling fan with a softbox though, and if you have the modelling lamp on max and the flash on min, there can be a small shift to warm in the colour.

That's a good tip :) The counter argument is that eyes are said to look better and more alluring, subconsciously, when pupils are large. A theory perhaps put about by flash manufacturers :D I disagree, and it's one of the few reasons I can think of for shooting portraits with continuous light (the only reason actually).

I just tried it on myself, and with the modelling lamp on full (Elinchrom D-Lite, standard softbox, normal kind of distance) my pupils get much smaller. Needs a good cooling fan with a softbox though, and if you have the modelling lamp on max and the flash on min, there can be a small shift to warm in the colour.

I turn room lights off while positioning my strobes, then back on to shoot. Modeling lamps for main and fill on full power always. I've not come across any colour shifts myself, but good point Hoppy :) I tend to line up my grey card and ColourChecker passport first in PP, so I may have even missed it on the rare occasion I shoot wide open.

While Elinchrom is ok kit I still consider it pretty average for the money and no better than any of the other cheaper brands. I've never seen the atraction of it personally so try not to get hung up on the brand and have a good look around at the alternatives.

Elinchrom isn't just about the product, which is very good. The customer service is second to none and if you are depending on your lights as a professional this is just as important.

I started out with some old Elinchrom lights off Ebay. Goodness knows how old they were. They failed on me (they'd been thrashed to death) when I had a very busy week lined up. The Flash Centre leant me a full set of strobes to keep me going while mine were sent off for repair, saved my bacon. I subsequently sold on the (now perfectly good) old strobes and brought a couple of d-Lite RX's which have been fantastic.

I would advise strongly against the very early, original model d-Lites as the bracket cannot take the weight of heavier modifiers, it was quickly upgraded in the d-Lite IT.

Last edited:
Back