EOS 5 Mk3 - Length of footage

Name
Glyn
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title say's really. I am looking at purchasing this camera and wodered how long you can record for. I know it will be dependant on the card size but I just want some examples please.

It will Max out at 29 mins - otherwise there'd be a large import duty hike.

As for nitrates, it looks like it records I frame only at about 12 MBps (~100Mbps). That's about 1GB every 83 seconds.

Limit is 29/30 mins. I think due to an EU law. Anything over that is deemed a "video camera" and is taxed higher.

Make sure you get a card fast enough to avoid buffering. I'd recommend 90mbps cards.

On both my 5d3 and 6d, I use 45Mb/s cards no problem recording on either camera . You've got 2 recording modes IPB and ALL-1. The later gives about 24 mins recording on a 16Gb card at 24-30 fps at 1080p . The former gives about 3 times as much. ALL-I gives better quality but the file size is about 3 times a big as IPB. I have used both and if I can get away with a more compressed format I will but if you want quality then the ALL-I is a better option.

Here's a link that I think describes the options well

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/ipp_ipb_all_i_compare.htmlp

I have the Atomos Ninja 2 which allows clean HDMI out recording for as long as the storage can manage from the 5DIII. Couple of hours on a SSD HDD. Haven't got that far yet mind.

Back