EOS7d owers help

Name
Malcolm
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there any camera setting that will inhibit AF assuming the lens is in AF. My lens have stopped focussing. All lenses work on 350D

Are you sure you haven't accidentally changed your AF to the AF-On button, assuming that you usually use the half shutter press?

There isn't any setting like that I am aware of. Check to just make sure that the contacts between the lens and camera are clean and factory reset it/upgrade the firmware to double check.

If that doesn't fix it you'd best be contacting Canon.

Edit: Or the below! I forgot you can remove AF from the shutter release!

Last edited:
Check to see you haven't changed cfn III-4, which is focus search when af impossible. It can sometimes stop lenses from trying to hunt when AF completely fails to lock on something.

It should be set to 0 by default which means it tries to hunt for targets (normal behaviour).

Last edited:
What lenses are you having problems with please?

Some of my old Sigma's won't auto focus on my 30D or 7D although they are fine on the 35mm EOS 3 and a very old EOS D60.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've found the manual and have cleared all custom functions. Two lenses are now working, I've not tried the others. I had it set up for BIF but I must have added a crippler inadvertently.

Some of my old Sigma's won't auto focus on my 30D or 7D although they are fine on the 35mm EOS 3 and a very old EOS D60.

Those lenses were designed for the film cameras, and will work on some digital bodies but not others. They use the same EF mount, but the electronics are a bit different. Sort of awkward given the aperture and auto-focus systems are both run by electronic motors within the lenses!

Sigma offer a "chipping" service for some of their older lenses that become incompatible. Might be worth checking if they do it for your lenses rhody, though it sounds like yours might be particularly old if they don't even work on the 30D

My lenses are a 120-300, 150 macro, 18-125 all Sigma and a 500 Canon. I used to have a 135-400 sigma that had to be chipped. As I was the original owner, Sigma did it for a fiver.

Those lenses were designed for the film cameras, and will work on some digital bodies but not others. They use the same EF mount, but the electronics are a bit different. Sort of awkward given the aperture and auto-focus systems are both run by electronic motors within the lenses!

Thanks Cyprino - much appreciated

My lenses are a 120-300, 150 macro, 18-125 all Sigma and a 500 Canon. I used to have a 135-400 sigma that had to be chipped. As I was the original owner, Sigma did it for a fiver.

Many thanks malc1 - as I am the original owner, it's worth contacting Sigma to see what they can do for me.

After the re-chipping, did the lenses work on both old and new camera bodies please?

I'm only asking as I still use my EOS 3 at times. Many thanks

Sigma offer a "chipping" service for some of their older lenses that become incompatible. Might be worth checking if they do it for your lenses rhody, though it sounds like yours might be particularly old if they don't even work on the 30D

Thanks werecow - I'll ask the question and see what they say. They are old though - at least 10 years of age.

Back