equine jumping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
hayley
Edit My Images
Yes
my horse photos seem to cause an argument every time i upload them so please note these photos are up purely for photo critique i.e timing framing etc.

i do not want anyone to comment about the rider what she's doing what the horse is doing or anything along those lines like in previous posts so if thats all you have to say about these photos then please don't comment!

sorry to sound rude but i don't want any arguments caused on this post thats why i say that at the start.

these are some photos from my first equine shoot for 2013, taking into consideration everything that you guys have said and i have been taught from other photographers so what do you think of the results??

Alisha and Treacle by aralia.photos, on Flickr

day 116, back in action by aralia.photos, on Flickr

Over exposed, verticals are out on No1 and way, way out on the last one, the framing is also terrible on the last one as well, and timing and framing on No4 is terrible

over exposed on em all but it kinda works on the first one.. shame the horizon is wonky though..

rest over exposed doesnt work for me..

#1 and #2 would prefer to see back legs off floor

as for your comment.. its not up to you what i post... once you post for crit thats it.. take what comes :)

over exposed on em all but it kinda works on the first one.. shame the horizon is wonky though..

rest over exposed doesnt work for me..

#1 and #2 would prefer to see back legs off floor

as for your comment.. its not up to you what i post... once you post for crit thats it.. take what comes :)

thanks for your reply, as for critique i ask for critique of the photo not the horse or the rider as what has happened before crit all you like just not about them.

Leaving the over exposure and verticals (which can be correct in PP – although if you can get them correct in camera great) aside, which has clearly been covered.

I think 1 and 2 are good shots, maybe if taken a fraction of a second or so later would have made it very good - but the effort of the horse comes through (IMHO). Three is ok, I’ve seen similar used in a number of publications – the riders hand would have been better placed on the top of the one with the reins in it – but the horses head is a good profile shot.

For me the 4 really doesn’t portray the real effort of the horse taking the jump compared to the first two.

Afraid the last one really does not work (again leaving aside the exposure etc) – I think you either got to go in close for and head and shoulders shot of the horse head on, of a two thirds shot straight on showing the rider (portrait shot from horses knee to riders hat) or a full length landscape shot showing the full horse and rider, at a 45 degree ish angle, either standing or trotting.

Also, it depends what you are using them for, but the poles and item of clothing on the ground in the first one would look better removed.

I’d also suggest spending a little time checking out images on the internet and seeing what works and what doesn’t – at least you get a good ideas – as to exposure afraid I’ve not had time to check if the exit data is there so cannot really offer any help – but maybe check the cameras manual, or check your settings and see if any compensation is dialled in – other than that checking the histogram in camera at the time of shooting can be a very useful tool.

Hope this as helps

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with others. Mostly over exposed, might be an idea to try Aperture priority instead of manual for a bit and manage the shutter with the ISO. 1/2000 seems very fast and perhaps a little OTT for a 50mm and a moving subject.

I'm getting into the show jumping photography myself, it can be quite hard to make it interesting when its just in the school with low fences and scruffy clothes etc. Very hard to create any "wow" factor.

Look forward to seeing more throughout the year though, keep at it :)

sorry not trying to argue everyone on here is saying there over exposed by anyone else that has looked at them my laptop there computers my phone and 2 professional photographers who i have asked after the comments on this post said that only 1 witch is number 2 is over exposed, so as your regard to the exposure i think its fine on my photos,

these were shot in both manual and shutter priority dependent on the photos as i was changing settings as the light was changing

but thank you all for commenting and the comments on all other but the exposure are greatly noted and will keep in mind thanks guys

Last edited:
In honesty they do look a bit over exposed. You can see all the detail in the white poles has gone... It may just be harsh light, maybe knock a bit off the highlights in post? That or knock the exposure compensation down a tad.

I think number 2 is best as regards framing and composition, although as other have said timing could be a bit better - just ever so slightly later so the rear legs are off the floor :)

Harry.

I really like 3 :) Although in the others I'd move the coat and maybe try and make up the jump with similar coloured poles and wings if you can?

have to say overexposed and no real depth to the colour almost look like a bad hdr...looks like the light wasn't kind to you when taking the pics, and the post-processing hasn't enhanced the images...

may be you can recommend a new computer, a couple of tablets and some phones that we can all downgrade to, to view these better..? :shrug:

JB

sorry not trying to argue everyone on here is saying there over exposed by anyone else that has looked at them my laptop there computers my phone and 2 professional photographers who i have asked after the comments on this post said that only 1 witch is number 2 is over exposed, so as your regard to the exposure i think its fine on my photos,
Oh dear Haley, you really cant take positive crit can you, the simple plain fact is they are over exposed

Here we go again ! Hayley ,you dont change or listen do you .............

No crit from me , (what's the point )

And your threads start and end the same ,everytime .

You just love controversy .

"And for that reason a'm oot , an no investin in youse " :bang:

The same from me Hayley with regards to exposure, they do appear to have a HDR effect on them.
If you view them on a pc are you sure the monitor is calibrated ok as mine look quite different on the iPad to the pc, as for the crit....it's not easy, you post a photo and it gets pulled apart but remember its all for an end result and the ultimate aim of a great photo, it's happened to me and yes, you feel a bit disappointed but look back in a year or so and you'll see it's all worth it (y)

1/2000 | ƒ/4.5 | ISO 500 | 50mm

I noticed the other day that you used excessively high shutter speeds for a selection of shots I commented on. Take a look at This Thread for comparison. The 5th shot is a similar scene to what you are trying to achieve, but the settings are 1/640 | ƒ/3.2 | ISO 200 | 85mm

Almost a year and a half of critique and you have taken on board about 5% of the advice that you've received.

Your timing has improved, but...

The shots are slanted
Some of the composition is tonk (2)
The exposure is way off
The backgrounds are awful

Far, far more importantly however...

hayley.price said:

Your attitude hasn't changed one bit.

The exposure of the photographs that you've posted is off. Full stop.

It's time for you to realise that your 'clients' and 'professional photographer' friends are doing you no favours at all. No 'professional' that I know would think that those pics are even close to OK.

Either go back through all of the equestrian (not equine- they've got a jockey on their back) threads that you've started, look at the photos, read the crit & start to learn from it, or stop wasting our time. Yes that sounds harsh, but if you aren't going to even attempt to learn from the input that you've received, then frankly it's a waste of time anyone makingma comment. Your equestrian photography should be light years ahead of its current state given how much time you should have put into it.

1/2000 | ƒ/4.5 | ISO 500 | 50mm

I noticed the other day that you used excessively high shutter speeds for a selection of shots I commented on. Take a look at This Thread for comparison. The 5th shot is a similar scene to what you are trying to achieve, but the settings are 1/640 | ƒ/3.2 | ISO 200 | 85mm

firstly i really don't like any of those photos in that thread and looking at them from a horse rider if they were presented to me at a show as photos i could buy i would not buy them.

secondly first photo is under exposed

firstly i really don't like any of those photos in that thread and looking at them from a horse rider if they were presented to me at a show as photos i could buy i would not buy them.

Nope, it's perfectly exposed (assuming you mean the one in the link). Get your monitor sorted Hayley.

as for the rest of the comments on this thread i honest have given up caring what anyone on this site says,

i posted a status about this on my facebook here are a couple of replys

Chantal Smith "You photo's are amazing. They just don't know what they are looking at as ur really good" FRIEND OF MINE

Victoria Anne Wise "I echo the above, jealousy and everyone has their own style. Ignore them, it's your opinion that counts as we are our worst critics." PHOTOGRAPHER

Becky King "the ones on fb of your horse are amazing, their better than some pics in the horse magazines and books i used to read as a kid, keep trying if one persons oppinion stopped anyone noone would be succesfull" GIRL I WENT TOO SCHOOL WITH

Alisha Evans "The ones you took of treacle were perfect though x" GIRL IN THESE PHOTOS

these are the people i take my photos for not any of you, and they are all happy with them and so were numerous over people that commented on that status

i always thought growing up that photography was about being creative taking a picture that makes people happy taking up my own style of photos that are good.

ever since joining this forum my love for photography is going down and down because you make comments that make people think that its not what it is and its not fun. i love my photos and other people love them and the people that buy my photos off me love them. so if the audience i am aiming for loves them and i love them then i don't see anything wrong with them.

you guys too me are trying to make photography like paint by numbers with your compositions and your rule of thirds and your exposures.

whos to say that the exposure in these photos is not what i was going for you don't know that you just assume there wrong.

RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN. i am not going to waste my time following rules with my photography and if that makes my photos ****, then **** it i'm **** and im damn well proud of that.

also understand that i will now properly get banned and infracts again but i really don't care because im done with over opinionated people like you, half of you have the guys to say bad things about my photos when some of yours are no better.

im on a brand new macbook with a newly calibrated screen and retina display maybe you should get yours sorted

get him told the trouble maker!

But... just take a deep breath... if everyone says your pics are over exposed but you dont think they are.. and a well exposed picture looks under exposed to you... it really does point to your laptop not being quite right..

poeple will have a tendancy to jump on your posts given the history.. but all these different people are not going to independantly say your pics are over exposed just to wind you up....

take it or leave it.. but they are all over exposed.. as I said earlier it kinda works for the first one..summat different..

whos to say that the exposure in these photos is not what i was going for you don't know that you just assume there wrong..

YOU! You should say.. if thats the style your going for then you should say and ask what people think.. we arn't mind readers...

At least now your agreeing they are over exposed :)

im on a brand new macbook with a newly calibrated screen and retina display maybe you should get yours sorted

Yeah, mine and everone else's here. You appear to have the only decent screen.

as for the rest of the comments on this thread i honest have given up caring what anyone on this site says,

i posted a status about this on my facebook here are a couple of replys

Chantal Smith "You photo's are amazing. They just don't know what they are looking at as ur really good" FRIEND OF MINE

Victoria Anne Wise "I echo the above, jealousy and everyone has their own style. Ignore them, it's your opinion that counts as we are our worst critics." PHOTOGRAPHER

Becky King "the ones on fb of your horse are amazing, their better than some pics in the horse magazines and books i used to read as a kid, keep trying if one persons oppinion stopped anyone noone would be succesfull" GIRL I WENT TOO SCHOOL WITH

Alisha Evans "The ones you took of treacle were perfect though x" GIRL IN THESE PHOTOS

these are the people i take my photos for not any of you, and they are all happy with them and so were numerous over people that commented on that status

i always thought growing up that photography was about being creative taking a picture that makes people happy taking up my own style of photos that are good.

ever since joining this forum my love for photography is going down and down because you make comments that make people think that its not what it is and its not fun. i love my photos and other people love them and the people that buy my photos off me love them. so if the audience i am aiming for loves them and i love them then i don't see anything wrong with them.

you guys too me are trying to make photography like paint by numbers with your compositions and your rule of thirds and your exposures.

whos to say that the exposure in these photos is not what i was going for you don't know that you just assume there wrong.

RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN. i am not going to waste my time following rules with my photography and if that makes my photos ****, then **** it i'm **** and im damn well proud of that.

also understand that i will now properly get banned and infracts again but i really don't care because im done with over opinionated people like you, half of you have the guys to say bad things about my photos when some of yours are no better.

Wow, so your mates on Facebook think they're great! Why bother posting them here in the first place if only your FB mates' opinions matter.

I've seen plenty of people try to help you here, inclding myself, and you constantly throw it back in their faces. I've no intention of banning you but you seriously need to grow up!

YOU! You should say.. if thats the style your going for then you should say and ask what people think.. we arn't mind readers...

At least now your agreeing they are over exposed :)

no i'm not these photos are the perfect exposure for me. ie not over exposed

get him told the trouble maker!

But... just take a deep breath... if everyone says your pics are over exposed but you dont think they are.. and a well exposed picture looks under exposed to you... it really does point to your laptop not being quite right..

poeple will have a tendancy to jump on your posts given the history.. but all these different people are not going to independantly say your pics are over exposed just to wind you up....

take it or leave it.. but they are all over exposed.. as I said earlier it kinda works for the first one..summat different..

but if that first photo is perfect and my screen is ****ed up, why are the rest perfectly exposed. surly that would mean the others are over exposed?

hayley.price said:

Speaking as an ex-rider, BE XC Steward, Controller, Asst Organiser, event photographer and Badminton accredited press photographer ( as well as a few other horsey things to boot), I can quite happily tell you that those photos are a long way ahead of yours at the moment.

As Mark has said, get your monitor sorted out and do the same with your attitude whilst you're at it.

no i'm not these photos are the perfect exposure for me. ie not over exposed

OK now I get it... but you should ahve explained.. you know they will look over exposed to everyone else.. but not to you because thats what you wanted them to look like so they are perfect for you..

Your just not seeing the world from anyone elses point of view thats all :)

I like to over expose now and then.. and if someone says my pic is over exposed ..I say .. yes I know.. thats the effect I went for... I dont say its not over exposed..

Your whites are bleached out wiht no details... yes or no ? yes because we can all see that.. so to us they are over exposed.. to you they are perfect because thats how you want them to look..

but if that first photo is perfect and my screen is ****ed up, why are the rest perfectly exposed. surly that would mean the others are over exposed?

they are all over exposed.. I am saying the over exposure works for me in pic one.. i like the effect.. i just dont like the effect in all of them :)

I'd have to agree with others. Mostly over exposed, might be an idea to try Aperture priority instead of manual for a bit and manage the shutter with the ISO. 1/2000 seems very fast and perhaps a little OTT for a 50mm and a moving subject.

I'm getting into the show jumping photography myself, it can be quite hard to make it interesting when its just in the school with low fences and scruffy clothes etc. Very hard to create any "wow" factor.

Look forward to seeing more throughout the year though, keep at it :)

I take back what i said....

I'm not looking forward to seeing any more throughout the year ;)

Oh Hayley... you're letting yourself down. You asked for comments/feedback, you received constructive criticism. If you choose not to follow the advise given, so be it. A simple 'thanks' would suffice instead of all the argumentative comebacks. If you aren't prepared to take the criticisms, whether you agree with them or not, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting and asking for feedback. If you want someone to blow smoke and tell you how wonderful your photos are, then just post them to your facebook page. Sorry, I don't mean to offend, and said with the upmost of respect...it takes guts to throw yourself (and your photos) out there, but you're not doing yourself any favours and people are starting to know you now for the behaviour you've displayed above. And I'm sure that's not who you really are...

Fair enough.

Victoria Anne Wise "I echo the above, jealousy and everyone has their own style. Ignore them, it's your opinion that counts as we are our worst critics." AUDIO TYPIST
How do you rate Victoria's photos? She has a completely different style to yours i notice.

these are the people i take my photos for not any of you
If the views of the forum members are of no value, why seek them?

i always thought growing up that photography was about being creative
Can you run through your creative thinking in achieving the results you've posted?

Ooooooh :naughty:

Looks like you've tried HDR on these

Over exposure is something you seem to do with most of the images you post within this forum :help:

you ask for Critique, then slag off anyone that contradicts you or you OVER EXPOSED IMGAGES

Facebook of full of *ss lickers who give a thumbs up to anything posted by anyone :shrug:

For true and honest critique. surely there can be no better medium that a Photography Forum, yet almost all of your threads descend into an argument

May I therefore suggest Keep your Photos on your un-calibrated Mac Book and we'll all be happier

Les :razz:

Over exposure is something you seem to do with most of the images you post within this forum :help:
But it's a style that she's struggled long and hard to achieve and is loved by her friends, so what can you do :shrug:

Just had a thought, why not make this your signature?

Open Rachael (twizzel's) website and the image youre greeted with is a perfect example of correct exposure, look at the whites, they actually have detail within them. Yours on the other hand...

*edit* oh I didnt realise it was a slideshow of more than one image, but from the ones I saw, they all look like the kind of exposure you should be aiming for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back