Event Photography

Name
Carlo
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon,

I know this will have been discussed may times over the years but a search didn't get me the results i wanted.

I do several proms at this time of year, and have a large backdrop, but this doesnt all me to cater for large groups. now the students don't mind if they are not perfectly framed within a white backdrop and still by the prints, however i do mind and just looking for some advice how to overcome this.

Also those of you that are event photographers, what do you find best for backdrops/flooring etc? colours?

Thanks

Two options:
1. Use a Lastolite pano background or make your own by hanging by the long side.
2. Build the groups up so they all fit. I've had as many as 40+ on a standard 10x20'. Granted they are squashed and compacted but the group is constructed from the centre outwards.

Two options:
1. Use a Lastolite pano background or make your own by hanging by the long side.
2. Build the groups up so they all fit. I've had as many as 40+ on a standard 10x20'. Granted they are squashed and compacted but the group is constructed from the centre outwards.

Have looked the lastolite pano before, they seemed pretty suitable, just wondering how you light them and what you use the on floor

Pano comes in three colours Green, Black or White so just use a cheap normal cloth backdrop off ebay for the floor, you can pick these up for around £30ish

Regarding lighting you can buy a cheap clamp and fix a light on top of the frame. I dont actually have one but maybe someone on here will jump in with the actual clamp type and where you get one from.

Pano comes in three colours Green, Black or White so just use a cheap normal cloth backdrop off ebay for the floor, you can pick these up for around £30ish

Regarding lighting you can buy a cheap clamp and fix a light on top of the frame. I dont actually have one but maybe someone on here will jump in with the actual clamp type and where you get one from.
so you reckon can get away with just buying the frame and adding own cloth backdrop?

aside from the pano background for groups shots, what else do you use for backgrounds for sessions, like proms? I'm currently just using white and wondering if should change this

so you reckon can get away with just buying the frame and adding own cloth backdrop?

Pano backgrounds are made to fit the frames but if you think you could make a normal background fit then would offer more alternatives. Personally I dont know of anyone who has done this.

just wondering what other options are available for event setups, so any advice is much appreciated, should i not go down the pano route

Thanks

As suggested use a standard 10'x20' but hang long ways for greater width, restrict the number on the backdrop or dont use a backdrop and use the features in the room (if there is one).

so would you have it ruffled up or pulled tight? do you shoot full lengths at events of 3/4? thanks

We've just shot a college graduation at a venue in the North East and used a 10' x 20' backdrop which was a blue cloudscape.
Most of the shots were waist up typical graduation poses but one in particular was eighteen Nigerian students, they could see that
they wouldn't fit in the space but didn't care and most don't.

Just make the most of what is easiest and don't complicate things for yourself.

I use the lasolite pano background it's great and packs up in to a reasonable sized bag. Normally at proms the students don't mind gathering around and kneeling etc to build the shot

so would you have it ruffled up or pulled tight? do you shoot full lengths at events of 3/4? thanks

Shoot several lengths, full, 3/4, waist, close portrait. It's only a few more clicks once you have posed then. You may sell them one of each but if you have only taken 1

I use the lasolite pano background it's great and packs up in to a reasonable sized bag. Normally at proms the students don't mind gathering around and kneeling etc to build the shot

Keep looking at this and think will make the purchase, but for full lengths shots what do you have on the floor, guess you don't have a seamless setup?

Back