Eye-Fi Questions

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
This may sound like a stupid question but how do they work?

I understand that you can send an image from your camera to tablet, but whilst out and about does your tablet need a 3G connection?

Is it possible to send images from the camera to a wifi only tablet whilst out in the field?

Sorry for being thick :eek:

It's done by what's called ad hoc networking.

ad hoc is used to network things like a wifi printer to a laptop if you don't have the internet.

No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers.

Last edited:
Glad you have asked this question as was just googling the net, and equally glad with the answer i.e. doesnt need 3g tablet. Thanks.

However, if I may add(sorry dont mean to hijack your thread), are all three cards suitable for transfers like these out in the field without net connection i.e. pro, connect, and mobile?

I only shoot Raw so would go for the 16 gb class 10

Anyone used the San Disk versions?

Thanks might myself probably go for that to be future proof!

So does the card broadcast the network and you connect your tablet to your card????

Yes!!!

They call it Direct Mode instead of ad-hoc(but if it smells like a fish and tastes like a fish and looks like a fish then it's a fish)

According to Amazon due for delivery tomorrow so I'll have a play over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

I dont have an iPad but have an Asus Transformer running Android 4, so will see how it all links together.

Cheers

So does the card broadcast the network and you connect your tablet to your card????

Yes!!!

They call it Direct Mode instead of ad-hoc(but if it smells like a fish and tastes like a fish and looks like a fish then it's a fish)

When I used one, 'direct mode' still requires their app running on your phone/tablet/laptop, it doesn't support any SMB share or similar normal networking access as far as I could see..

It can't even be set to automatically sync the contents to an SMB share on your network, it wants to either upload to an app via directmode, or it uploads to their server, and their server can pass them on to an FTP of your choice..

Eye-fi seems a little limited in some ways, but you can make it work for most normal usage patterns. i.e. direct to an Android/iOS device without needing any internet connection.

Thanks for update on software bit Phil-t.
" i.e. direct to an Android/iOS device without needing any internet connection" is what to OP is wanting to do, so all should be good to go in the field

I just bought the SanDisk 8gb one on amazon. Sports to be a rebadged wi-fi at half the price. All the drivers and software are wi-fi.
I tried direct mode to laptop, iPad and iPhone and it worked great. Don't fancy doing raws though, they take ages !

I'm only shooting jpeg at the moment as I am still very much a newbie!

Glad it seems to work as it should as by the sounds of it, it will do exactly what I want it to!

Many thanks all

I just bought the SanDisk 8gb one on amazon. Sports to be a rebadged wi-fi at half the price. All the drivers and software are wi-fi.
I tried direct mode to laptop, iPad and iPhone and it worked great. Don't fancy doing raws though, they take ages !

How long does it takes to view image on ipad after the shot?

How long does it takes to view image on ipad after the shot?

a couple of minutes, particularly if you use chunky metal body! So no 10fps if you want to see them quickly :LOL:

I've had an eyefi card for a while now. My 1dmk4 takes a cf card and an sd, I think this is the way to get the best out of these cards. I mainly use it in the studio. I shoot RAW on my cf card, I'm usually tethered to my laptop and I have the camera set to save a medium jpeg to the eyefi card which I have sent to my android tablet. This way I get two copies of the RAW, and two copies of a jpeg. The tablet serves as a preview/review device for my assistant and the client can see too easily without me having to show them the laptop screen, which would mean them moving in and out of the shooting area all the time. It just saves time and is a nice efficient system.

In the field I sometimes use the card to send a RAW file to my android phone as a way to backup. It doesn't take ages to transfer the file but it doesn't matter that much as I'm just backing the file up I'm not reviewing the image on my phone. If I'm in a cloud area or go into one later these RAW's get backed up again automatically to my dropbox account.

In my opinion these cards are fantastic!

I've had an eyefi card for a while now. My 1dmk4 takes a cf card and an sd, I think this is the way to get the best out of these cards. I mainly use it in the studio. I shoot RAW on my cf card, I'm usually tethered to my laptop and I have the camera set to save a medium jpeg to the eyefi card which I have sent to my android tablet. This way I get two copies of the RAW, and two copies of a jpeg. The tablet serves as a preview/review device for my assistant and the client can see too easily without me having to show them the laptop screen, which would mean them moving in and out of the shooting area all the time. It just saves time and is a nice efficient system.

In the field I sometimes use the card to send a RAW file to my android phone as a way to backup. It doesn't take ages to transfer the file but it doesn't matter that much as I'm just backing the file up I'm not reviewing the image on my phone. If I'm in a cloud area or go into one later these RAW's get backed up again automatically to my dropbox account.

In my opinion these cards are fantastic!

I have to agree, I used mine in the studio with a MKIV and pretty much set it up as Steve has above. I had it wirelessly connected to a laptop right next to the shooting area. Now I have an IPAD and a 5D3 luckily Canon put a CF and SD card in the new 5D3 so it is ideal for the Eye-fi card. The 5D3 also has an ON/Off menu setting. I believe this is to turn the wifi on/off when not required...

Which selection of tablets will work wi-fi with a DSLR and are there any pluses or minuses to consider. I know of one photographer that gets images from his camera to a tablet in a matter of a few seconds. Looks impressive.

alexam said:
Which selection of tablets will work wi-fi with a DSLR and are there any pluses or minuses to consider. I know of one photographer that gets images from his camera to a tablet in a matter of a few seconds. Looks impressive.

Any wifi enabled computer/tablet will work with an eyefi card provided there is an eyefi client available for that platform. RAW files take a short while to transfer but if I have small or medium jpegs transfer they take just a couple of seconds. In fact shooting tethered to my laptop via usb (sending RAW) and with the card sending medium jpegs to my tablet, my assistant with the tablet sees the shot first nine times out of ten.

Not sure if its just me, but it seems to take an age to upload a large Jpeg. Not sure if my home network is interfering but I would say almost a minute per 5mb file at the moment.

Not tried away from home yet.

Anyone else get slow upload?

Hi everyone, just setup my eye-fi card on more home network, but wen I set up another router not connected to Internet I can't seem to sync the photos, do I need Internet connection to sync photo to laptop/Lightroom or is there a way with just using a wifi access point?

I saw a reply in an other thread discussing eye-fi/iPad that said their transfer teams were around 3-5 secs shooting large jpg.

I would be taking that comment with a pinch of salt! I've had a shot of one in a studio environment no more than 10ft away from the router and it took no less than 1 min. Tried it Ad Hoc and it was even longer.

I would be taking that comment with a pinch of salt! I've had a shot of one in a studio environment no more than 10ft away from the router and it took no less than 1 min. Tried it Ad Hoc and it was even longer.
I use a 8Gb ProX2 and it gets 1MB/sec, so an 8-9MB 24MP JPEG takes 8-9 seconds (Direct mode to a laptop)..

So 3-5 seconds is achievable if your camera's JPEGs are 3-5MB in size (depends on quality settings/MP etc)

AliMoore said:
Hi everyone, just setup my eye-fi card on more home network, but wen I set up another router not connected to Internet I can't seem to sync the photos, do I need Internet connection to sync photo to laptop/Lightroom or is there a way with just using a wifi access point?

I think you have to disable it from syncing photo's to the cloud..

I use mine in 'direct mdoe' though, which works more reliably, the eye-fi becomes the access point, and my laptop's wireless connects to it, then eye-fi manager just syncs the photo's seemlessly.. Although I only sync JPEG's (Not RAWs for speed) and don't upload to any cloud or online service.

Last edited:
Yea thanks got it sorted and my is showing up on Lightroom in 8-9 sec medium jpeg bout 5/6 meg so pretty happy with that, ill also record raw files to cf card for studio wrk, thanks again guys

Quick question, do these cards have any way to auto sync when you get back to your wireless home. ??

So in basic go out, and come back and let the camera/card send to my comp. ?

Quick question, do these cards have any way to auto sync when you get back to your wireless home. ??

So in basic go out, and come back and let the camera/card send to my comp. ?

I believe that they automatically do this, or rather when they can't find your home network, they start broadcasting their own wifi hotspot.
What I've discovered is that the wifi hotspot only turns on when it wants to transmit a file, which means there's a slight lag between shooting and it appearing on my ipad (when I'm out and about). Incidentally I find this direct transmission (not using home network) faster than home network.

But wouldn't dream of using it to transfer RAW as the 5DmkIII files can be about 28Mb ~ 30s per file :eek:

I have the sony a77 and im looking to use an eyefi card (x2 class 10) to send raw (i only shoot raw) direct to my PC when im at home and my tablet (galaxy note 10.1) when out and about and at peoples homes with my portable studio...

stupid question time: with the android tablet, eyefi saves to where you set it up to, i get that, but can you set it up to open in a raw app? (its just so people can see the shots at the time of taking, editing will be done later on at home on the pc in lightroom)

Chris, I wanted to do the same and it isn't possible.
I now have the eye-fi card synced to my phone (S3 which works the same as your tab). I have the sync location on a 16gb sd card in the phone. This is then synced to drop box over wifi only (otherwise it will kill your data allowance). You can connect the phone/ tab to your PC via USB and save them that way or remove the SD card and put that in the PC (easier on the tab I believe then the phone).
I hope that makes sense.
I shoot in RAW/jpeg as the eye-fi card can't geotag raw images. The latest version uses your phone/tab gps to more accurately geotag images then the wifi style of geotagging.

As a side question, how do you find the tab 2 for viewing images? I'm in the market for a tab to do this at present.

Last edited:
Back