F1 British Grand Prix Free practice @ Silverstone 19.6.09 (F1 Cars)

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
My first ever expeirence of F1 (well apart from a few demo laps from one last year at Renault world sereis)

The noise was immense. Like nthing I have ever expereinced. I loved every single minute of it!! Was surprised at the crowd size!! There was a LOT of people there. Dread to think what tomorrow is goin gto be like (these are from friday)

It was a long day as well. up at 4, drove 2 and a half hours, stayed there till 4, drove home for 3 and a half hours, got in for about 7:30 ish. So very long day.

Anyhow:

1, First off, a Brawn GP upclose. Not the man of the moment, though
IMG_1130.jpg

2. In front of the home fans
IMG_1151.jpg

3. Round the bend.
IMG_1184.jpg

4. Ferrari
IMG_1185.jpg

5. Up close
IMG_1444.jpg

6. Gives you wings!
IMG_1498.jpg

7. Renault in front. For a change.
IMG_1655.jpg

8. Slidey widey
IMG_1667.jpg

9. Crowd
IMG_1748.jpg

10. Wrong
IMG_1756-1.jpg

C and C please.

Thanks
Matt

Great shots Matt, you got a media pass for these? (Looks like that's the case anyway)

A few too jaunty angles for me, but still great.

as per usual Matt, all sharp and a great set:D

i really like 2 and 9:D

Very nice set that.
Seems you found a closer spot than me :LOL:
Spent today shooting through the fence too, oh well.
Where were you for 1 and 5?

Nice set Matt #8#10 for me .

Please don't do those angled crops, Matt, your shots are good enough to stand scrutiny on their own without that ;)

Sounds like a good day matt, did you not feel weird leaving oulton behind :p
Ive only ever been to f1 once, like you say they are unbelievably loud!
#1 looks a little over-exposed maybe? Also dont like both ends of the car been missing, either or would have been okay for me just not both
#2 like it a lot, very gary-esque but its a nice style :) been trying to do something similar myself
#3 well thought out, seeing the track come back into frame, just wants a bit of a boost colour wise for my liking, seems dull compared to the others?
#4 again I like but would love it to be vibrant like #2, you dont make the weather so your forgiven though ;)
#5 very well caught as theyre not the slowest subject you'll come across!!
#6 dont like the bright wall
#7 nice sense of action, maybe lose the grass at the bottom so theres not as many different transitions as your eye works its way up the scene? (bit picky and not probably to everyones taste)
#8 well caught, both you and the driver
#9 see #2
#10 love the heat haze and shows the 'event' if you get me?
Nice set Matt, hope you dont mind the C&C :clap:

i really like 2 and 9:D

Thank you very much!!

Very nice set that.
Seems you found a closer spot than me :LOL:
Spent today shooting through the fence too, oh well.
Where were you for 1 and 5?

LOL.

Thank you very much!!

the cornor after the hanger stright

Farm (I remeber becuse I laughed at the sign 'farm enclosure' LOL)

Nice set Matt #8#10 for me .

Thank you!!

Please don't do those angled crops, Matt, your shots are good enough to stand scrutiny on their own without that ;)

After getting level shot after level shot, it gets a bit boring so it I like to mix it up a little LOL.

Sounds like a good day matt, did you not feel weird leaving oulton behind :p
Ive only ever been to f1 once, like you say they are unbelievably loud!
#1 looks a little over-exposed maybe? Also dont like both ends of the car been missing, either or would have been okay for me just not both
#2 like it a lot, very gary-esque but its a nice style :) been trying to do something similar myself
#3 well thought out, seeing the track come back into frame, just wants a bit of a boost colour wise for my liking, seems dull compared to the others?
#4 again I like but would love it to be vibrant like #2, you dont make the weather so your forgiven though ;)
#5 very well caught as theyre not the slowest subject you'll come across!!
#6 dont like the bright wall
#7 nice sense of action, maybe lose the grass at the bottom so theres not as many different transitions as your eye works its way up the scene? (bit picky and not probably to everyones taste)
#8 well caught, both you and the driver
#9 see #2
#10 love the heat haze and shows the 'event' if you get me?
Nice set Matt, hope you dont mind the C&C :clap:

Super!! Thank you very much for that!! Great comment!

great set Matt, glad you managed to get there, lucky so and so.....

Thank you very much!!

These are lovely photographs. Mine are diabolical in comparison - the Brawn is impossible to photograph because it's white. And so many of them are over-exposed. I'd love to know the settings that you used.

These are lovely photographs. Mine are diabolical in comparison - the Brawn is impossible to photograph because it's white. And so many of them are over-exposed. I'd love to know the settings that you used.

THe EXIF should be there :)

Thank you very much indeed :):)

Nice set mate, although a couple look a little soft/blurry. #5 in particular looks a little blurry, but as I said in our conversation today, it's good enough to get published :LOL: #10 is a cracking shot, I'm trying to work out who it is

Nice set mate, although a couple look a little soft/blurry. #5 in particular looks a little blurry, but as I said in our conversation today, it's good enough to get published :LOL: #10 is a cracking shot, I'm trying to work out who it is

Thank you very much mate

:LOL: True :D I have sent these in so we will see :)

It has red bull on it :LOL:

I'll go for one of the Torro Rosso's the more I look at it. Don't take that as a harsh criticism, I've never photographed F1, even though I've been a few times, and I know they are way, way faster than anything else. It must be hard.

I'll go for one of the Torro Rosso's the more I look at it. Don't take that as a harsh criticism, I've never photographed F1, even though I've been a few times, and I know they are way, way faster than anything else. It must be hard.

LOL all I can see is dust!

I havnt, dont worry :) They are OK when they are going around a slow (ish) cornor :LOL:

Great set Matt love #10,

not a fan of shots of part cars but they are pin sharp. I did the full weekend last year and like you say the noise is out of this world, shame you can not here them pop and bang on TV. At times it even gave me goose bumps.

Baldy.

Last edited:
Can’t fault them really no1 a bit blown.
A good set considering all the popping and farting your camera is doing lately.

All that practice at Oulton Park paid off then!

Nice work Matt.

Thank you very much indeed.

Great set Matt love #10,

not a fan of shots of part cars but they are pin sharp. I did the full weekend last year and like you say the noise is out of this world, shame you can not here them pop and bang on TV. At times it even gave me goose bumps.

Baldy.

Thank you very much!!

Neither was eye till the start of the year LOL.

Yeah, the noise is just unreal!

Great set Matt. 2 and 10 are my favourites.

Thank you very much!

Can’t fault them really no1 a bit blown.
A good set considering all the popping and farting your camera is doing lately.

Thank you very much mate.

Yeah, it is a little bit worse for wear!!!

Good set Matt, unfair to expect your usual standard as I know how difficult it was to shoot on Friday inbetween the crowds, but these are still very good.

#2 is my personal favourite, that sort of shot works brilliantly at Silverstone, especially with a crowd, and you've nailed it.

It's another example of not 'needing' 500mm+ as many would have you believe, a bit of creativity goes a long way!

Good set Matt, unfair to expect your usual standard as I know how difficult it was to shoot on Friday inbetween the crowds, but these are still very good.

#2 is my personal favourite, that sort of shot works brilliantly at Silverstone, especially with a crowd, and you've nailed it.

It's another example of not 'needing' 500mm+ as many would have you believe, a bit of creativity goes a long way!

Thank you very much indeed :)

I ususaly pan at between 100-200 mm so panning at 300 was a bit different!

Thanky ou very much :D

Lovely variety you have posted, just shows what can be done. I had a look on your site, but i feel that a lot are ruined by your watermark being in the center when the cars are too in the center, so you can't see the detail in the cars. Just a thought mate, maybe just putting your watermark at the bottom. Well done though. (y)

Seems as if #9 is a love or hate. I love it. You really get a sense of the crowd while still understanding why they are there. Great stuff.

#3, the car needs something to head into, might have worked better with the corner in vie a bit more?

like the sliding Force India, though i dont think the angle works as well as it could, #10 is ace, a good capture there. the rest are ok, not so keen on cars going away, i prefer to see them coming toward the camera

not so keen on cars going away, i prefer to see them coming toward the camera

Without accreditation that's incredibly unlikely due to obvious safety reasons. There are always going to be a greater variation of low 'heading-away-from-you' angles, so I personally think it's hard to fault a set of pics in that respect.

I'm guessing the head-on angles available globally to the public at F1 certified circuits could be counted on one hand, probably on less than one finger :)

Last edited:
Without accreditation that's incredibly unlikely due to obvious safety reasons. There are always going to be a greater variation of low 'heading-away-from-you' angles, so I personally think it's hard to fault a set of pics in that respect.

I'm guessing the head-on angles available globally to the public at F1 certified circuits could be counted on one hand, probably on less than one finger :)

well he managed 4 that are heading his way :p, im just saying i prefer that sort of short, its a preference, not a criticism. :)

Back