FEI World Cup Dressage - Olympia

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
From the blog:

Last night my wife Jan and I were very fortunate to be invited to Carl Hester’s private box at the FEI World Cup Dressage event as part of the London International Horse Show at Olympia in London. This was the main event on the dressage calendar during the Olympia show and involved the horses and riders doing a dressage test to music – otherwise known as the Kur and it attracts the best riders and horses in the world. Carl is probably the top British rider having won numerous national and international event as well as representing the UK at the Olympics and he continues to be an excellent ambassador for the sport.

We met up with Carl and a few friends at the hotel prior to the event for a couple of drinks and then it was time to get ourselves over to Olympia. This was the first time we had been in a private box and it was pretty impressive with commanding views of the whole arena. I also had a media pass for the event and I think I can safely say that I was the smartest photographer there although the photographer/media bib did look a bit odd over the top of a dinner jacket and bow tie! We were treated to a wonderful spectacle of horsemanship from all the riders and a huge cheer went up as Carl entered the arena on Liebling and after a solid test to a medley of Tom Jones music he briefly went into the lead with 78.45%. He was followed by last years winners Adelinde Cornelissen on Parzival who scored just over 82%.

The real crowd pleaser was Moorlands Totilas ridden by Edward Gal, this combination set a new world record a few months ago at the European Dressage Championships and many were wondering if they could match that score. A full house witnessed the 39-year-old rider and his nine-year-old Dutch-bred stallion produce an immaculate and dramatic foot-perfect test of seamless transitions, rhythmic elastic gaits and off the floor paces. They not only matched the score but went on to smash the world record with a score of over 92% to win the FEI World Cup Grand Prix freestyle qualifier.

At the press conference after the event Edward told the waiting press “It felt like a fairytale – all I have to do is to point the way and he does it,” and he maintains that Totilas is just a normal horse. “He is so easy going and hopefully he will stay that way but I do think he enjoys the attention.” British judge Stephen Clarke presided over the ground jury. “At Windsor we thought we were so lucky to witness that level of dressage and tonight it was simply amazing to see that they could produce even better,” said Stephen.

After those dramatic events we decided to celebrate a little bit and I won’t bore you with the lurid tales suffice to say we didn’t get to bed until 3am and I’m feeling it today – I think the ice in the drinks must have been off. :D

1. In 3rd place - Carl Hester on Liebling
CarlHester-2.jpg

2. Runner up Adelinde Cornelissen
AdelindeCornelissen-2.jpg

AdelindeCornelissen-4.jpg

4. Totilas
EdwardGal-7.jpg

EdwardGal-5.jpg

6. To the victor the spoils
EdwardGal-10.jpg

I don't know a lot about the geegees but the caramel coloured horse looks fantastic.

We watched that last night, couldn't spot you though :p

Toto is brilliant but I still wish he was better matched behind :coat: and however great T is I really love watching Parzival :love:

Last edited by a moderator:
You lucky git!

Watched that on the telly, excellent pics (as usual) of superb horses at the top of their game.

Thanks everyone.

Toto is brilliant but I still wish he was better matched behind.....

*snip*

No idea what what you mean Susie but the judges seemed happy enough with him! :D

Back