Film Challenge 01 Discussion

***Anyway, I got back from Turkey with several rolls... yes I dipped them myself but that's part of the process, no?***

erm why take a chance on your holiday shots.

I wasn't - taking them to Tesco would be my idea of taking a chance.

woa woa woa

woe is me.....:cautious:

givvover now ffsake, the challenge is to shoot something as specified in the allotted time which is a month, now what's the problem with that ?
Its a challenge, that's the whole ****ing point, its all about making an effort, shooting with intention to the best of your ability, working with the cards you are dealt, not fannying about picking and choosing shots from your entire photographic career to match the challenge....what's the ****ing point in that??

If the next challenge is Scape, I might have to get up early one morning, I might have to make several visits to a particular spot for the right conditions, I might have to do all sorts of things because that's what a ****ing challenge is.....wtff....:shrug:

sometimes I just can't believe what I'm reading..

I knew it had to get down to this....:D

Come on guys; who the hell cares. Its all about fun, not about the next wedding shoot :LOL::LOL:

P.S : I wonder if HCB could have produced that Nehru shot if set a challenge which went something like " a man about to make history" . Khaldei, on the other hand, could have produced his "flag raising" shot anytime :D.

Last edited:
woa woa woa

woe is me.....:cautious:

givvover now ffsake, the challenge is to shoot something as specified in the allotted time which is a month, now what's the problem with that ?
Its a challenge, that's the whole ****ing point, its all about making an effort, shooting with intention to the best of your ability, working with the cards you are dealt, not fannying about picking and choosing shots from your entire photographic career to match the challenge....what's the ****ing point in that??

If the next challenge is Scape, I might have to get up early one morning, I might have to make several visits to a particular spot for the right conditions, I might have to do all sorts of things because that's what a ****ing challenge is.....wtff....:shrug:

sometimes I just can't believe what I'm reading..

:wave: Well there ya go..... "every one has a view" and there are those who are more armchair photographers and those that are not :wave:

Well for some one with plenty of time and the weather is reasonable (or even miserable) there is no problem with the guys with the "eye", but most of us just can't take a cracking shot on demand and it happens over time, so the comp over a few weeks will have a lower standard.

But that's EXACTLY why it's a CHALLENGE - to get out there and interpret the topic, and get the best shot you can within the timeframe allocated. I'm pretty time constrained - I'm a full time carer for a disabled relative - unless I can arrange cover, I'm pretty much limited to a hour here and there for shooting. I'm also pretty realistic about the shortcomings of my compositional and general photographic abilities. But it doesn't stop me trying to shoot something. As to a shorter timeframe making for a lower standard - well - maybe if I spent the next 10 years working on my skills, my shot would be a bit better, who knows. But it's an awful lot of work for one photo, in one challenge :shrug:

It's not actually compulsory to join, or to bother reading the thread if you're not interested, but please don't just snipe from the sidelines, at something that's adding a little extra pleasure to my shooting time.

I knew it had to get down to this....:D

Come on guys; who the hell cares. Its all about fun, not about the next wedding shoot :LOL::LOL:

P.S : I wonder if HCB could have produced that Nehru shot if set a challenge which went something like " a man about to make history" . Khaldei, on the other hand, could have produced his "flag raising" shot anytime :D.

:wave: Well there ya go..... "every one has a view" and there are those who are more armchair photographers and those that are not :wave:

I absolutely fail to comprehend what either of you expect from a photographic challenge/assignment.

I absolutely fail to comprehend what either of you expect from a photographic challenge/assignment.

Whilst neither of them entered... :thinking:, I have to say that I thought Ujjwal's comment was positive rather than negative?

Here's an early entry for the 'other' space theme

images

Yeah, I'm feeling it... tad dark though? :shrug:

Whilst neither of them entered... :thinking:, I have to say that I thought Ujjwal's comment was positive rather than negative?

Thanks Arthur. really I couldn't care less; except I knew this will come down to this. I love this space, because no one is competing; its more of a shared love, independent of capability. I mean, look at Joxer and excaliburs shot they post; I cant ever come close. But I still love doing it; because hopefully I am getting better all the time

If you love it, do it. If not, dont.

Personally I cant; but thats because of my incompetence more than anything else.

I got an idea... why not have a thread with each person's *best* shot (and only one shot) ever... no discussion, no "rules", no "subject", no "challenge" and no "deadline". Just a single post from all who want to take part, with the option to update that post if the poster feels they have superseded it.

I mean, look at Joxer and excaliburs shot they post; I cant ever come close. But I still love doing it; because hopefully I am getting better all the time

BS, you refuse to make the effort, nothing is worth doing.

I just wrote a paragraph of brutal in the other thread, but didn't post it.
Then I come here and read ^ why I wrote it all over again, and now I wish I'd posted it.

do it john...I'll appreciate, really.

I do make a lot of effort John. You guys have been doing it for a long time, I have just started. Believe me, I try to put in a lot of thought behind it.

The technicality is easy; in the worst, shoot 6 exposures with varying f stop/speed and choose the best one ( or simulate it by scanning/digitally enhancing). The difiicult thing for me - me, with a clunky mind - is to see the shot composition. You guys probably can see it even before you have touched your camera, I struglle to see it even afterwards.

Really, think of the ;Nehru' shot of HCB. Hand held, 1/10 sec, in fading light. Composed on the instant, the moment Nehru got down from the car, and walked upto the mike, with the sun setting behind him , and a rigged spot light shining on him. Gandhi had just been killed, and he was making a speech to the nation. And just as he began to speak, HCB raised his camera. The bright spot shone on the camera - flare and all - and HCB pressed the shutter as Nehru began to say ' the light has gone out of our lives'

Its my incompetence thats stands between me and HCB :D

Last edited:
Whilst neither of them entered... :thinking:,

Well it's not my fault the wrong time was chosen :)....but I've got a reasonable B/W shot taken 45 years ago of a building, am I too late to sneak this in :)

I mean, look at Joxer and excaliburs shot they post; I cant ever come close.

Huh I'm just competent to many excellent photographers and I just can't match their shots.

We could have a thread for the most incompetent shots..... like this one of mine:-

img008.jpg

Brian, is that Cornwall?

or Devon, went to a wedding there for the weekend....there were a small fleet of US supply ship in the bay and the locals said "when those ships move" then the Iraq war will start.

Last edited:
I am sure its Cornwall, Brian, I have afew shots inb/w of this village -the houses on the hill ( cant remember its name though, but a pretty touristy place). I'll try to find them and post

I am sure its Cornwall, Brian, I have afew shots inb/w of this village -the houses on the hill ( cant remember its name though, but a pretty touristy place). I'll try to find them and post

Other than asking my wife for the wedding invitation, the only other thing I can remember was that there were ruins of an old fort on the hill.

Some really nice shots taken there. Hopefully there'll be another one shortly that I can stick one in. :)

Ok, does anyone want to start a new challenge? Because I don't really want to do it again as there is a chance I won't be around much in the next few weeks (starting uni)

I'm good to go with it Liam - if everyone's happy with me doing it? With the proviso that in future the "winners" sort the subsequent challenges

Last edited:
It's fine with me, crack on with it Arthur, it's good of you to volunteer.

I'm good to go with it Liam - if everyone's happy with me doing it? With the proviso that in future the "winners" sort the subsequent challenges

Thats good by me Arthur - look forward to seeing what you decide to put us through.....

(p.s. is a fiver allright to ensure Street doesn't come up! ;))

You all want a *challenge* or just a subject then?
sneaky.gif

Last edited:
And the next challenge is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oop's thats for being clever, Thanks TheBigYin guess I will wait for No 03 now.

Back