Film Developing in the UK

Hi Guys,

Have to tell you again,Photo Express in Hull will do all of your 35mm C41 work at £2.50 a roll and £2.50 for scanning,orders above £5.00 will allow you a .50p discount per rolls for TP members,they do charge £1.00 return delivery cost and the work has been great for the last three years.

I sent 5 rolls off on Monday,had a call Tuesday morning for debit card details and the finished order was dropping on the mat Wednesday morning.

Nigel the owner told me that some members order and do not claim any discount,how mad that is. Give them a try better than any wait I have had in the high street and quality way,way in front.

Ok then....use agfa vista for a £1, dev at Asda with CD for £3...then convert it to B\W....the results are surprising good.
Yep, that seems the best options and I get to keep the old cameras going. Wood for the trees springs to mind here, thanks everyone who suggested options. I've sent a mail to AG to get a quote and I'll try snappy snaps too.
Cheers togs!

Hi Guys,

Have to tell you again,Photo Express in Hull will do all of your 35mm C41 work at £2.50 a roll and £2.50 for scanning,orders above £5.00 will allow you a .50p discount per rolls for TP members,they do charge £1.00 return delivery cost and the work has been great for the last three years.

I sent 5 rolls off on Monday,had a call Tuesday morning for debit card details and the finished order was dropping on the mat Wednesday morning.

Nigel the owner told me that some members order and do not claim any discount,how mad that is. Give them a try better than any wait I have had in the high street and quality way,way in front.
You're right Richard I do forget about them, although I don't tend to shoot much C41 and what I do shoot is mostly test rolls of Agfa Shista and I usually use Tesco/Asda for that stuff.
I have got a few rolls of Ektar and Portra to use so I'll probably give them a go for those.

any idea who does panoramic 72x24 or same with sprocket holes for not toooo much monet?
35mm film

any idea who does panoramic 72x24 or same with sprocket holes for not toooo much monet?
35mm film
Processing? Scanning? What exactly are you looking for Paul. I usually just get mine processed and scan them myself, you just have to remember to ask them not to cut the negs..

would like process scan and print, but sprocket hole scanning is normaly expensive as its a faff

CC imaging say they'll scan sprokets but I'm not sure how much they'll charge.

Hi Guys,

Yep, I've used them in the past and they're quick and reliable. Unfortunately for me, I don't shoot 135 anymore and they don't process 120.

I sent a roll off to Ilford Lab, will report back when I receive the prints and scans as to quality etc.

Not shot film in over a decade though so the results could well be terrible through no fault of their own :D

Took a little while (just over 2 weeks) but the quality is good.

Got small 6x4 prints - they look nice and are printed well. Good quality.

Negative scans looks pretty good. Not much required processing wise on them before they are ready for web. Typically just some levels/curves adjustments.

Forgot to actually check the negatives themselves, foolish! Will do that when at home again. I'd probably use them again based on my experience, provided I don't need the results quickly. :)

Still haven't checked those negatives... will try and do so soon.

Gone for AG with my next order since I've got 7 films (so expensive) to do. Going for just development and scans on this one, need to save as much as I can (hence AG as they're cheaper than Ilford).

Wow what a very interesting read this forum is, thanks all.

I've tried most the labs in the UK over the years but I have to say that the one that has been most consistent is www.photofilmprocessing.co.uk up in Burnley. They are a Fuji Digital Lab and recently gone through a big re-brand, they are now powered by Photo Hippo Ltd whatever that means? Their website is great to be honest with you, completely different to other photo developing labs sites which I find very refreshing. They charge £7 for a 24exp exp and £8 for a 36exp but if you like their Facebook or Google+ pages you can save 15% off listed prices which is great! Just one word of warning though, never use them for E6 slide processing, they are just simply too expensive for that stuff but everything else they are fine for. Really good communication from the lab too, keeping me up to date at every stage of the process. All in all a great lab for film developing by mail order. Top Marks to Fuji Digital Labs www.PhotoFilmProcessing.co.uk

I've tried most the labs in the UK over the years but I have to say that the one that has been most consistent is www.photofilmprocessing.co.uk up in Burnley. They are a Fuji Digital Lab and recently gone through a big re-brand, they are now powered by Photo Hippo Ltd whatever that means? Their website is great to be honest with you, completely different to other photo developing labs sites which I find very refreshing. They charge £7 for a 24exp exp and £8 for a 36exp but if you like their Facebook or Google+ pages you can save 15% off listed prices which is great! Just one word of warning though, never use them for E6 slide processing, they are just simply too expensive for that stuff but everything else they are fine for. Really good communication from the lab too, keeping me up to date at every stage of the process. All in all a great lab for film developing by mail order. Top Marks to Fuji Digital Labs www.PhotoFilmProcessing.co.uk

have you wondered why their E6 is expensive?

I use them for 110 processing (which is rare enough - they also do 126 processing and disc film scanning) when I use my Pentax Auto 110 SLR, and they do a great job. Their scans are also very reasonable as their lowest (standard) size is about 5 megapixels, and they do their largest scans (~20 mp) for less than some places charge for files half the size! They also offer TIFF images for £4 extra which is a nice option if you need it. Their E6 is probably expensive as I don't imagine they get too much these days, and its expensive to have a bunch of chemistry lying around doing nothing and with the possibility of it going off before being fully used.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Simon may have a vested interest in the Lab he is so effusive about....:D

£7 for a 24 exp! even snappy snaps are cheaper than that!

Just had two rolls of 35mm film dev and both scanned to one CD for £5 at Asda..plus their shaving foam at 26p a can is a bargain. ;)

Looks like not much film use in the last month as if you can go by the serial numbers on the CD only seven have been done inc mine.

bit of a question does anybody find AG photographic's processing a bit slow on returning films ?

bit of a question does anybody find AG photographic's processing a bit slow on returning films ?
Yes, just a bit. I like their processing but couldn't cope with the turn round time.

Yes, they were averaging 8 days for me, some with and some without scans. I gave up on them, despite the good price and quality. Is their volume really SO great to justify the poor turnround time?

2 rolls of 120 velvia 6x9 frame size and a roll of 35mm velvia process and medium sized scan

That seems a long time.
It is and for that reason alone I get mine done elsewhere, nothing wrong with their processing but I like mine to drop through the letterbox 2 days after I've posted them.

Can we add ntphotoworks.com to the list? I'm sending some film off next week so will report back on quality etc

well my negs arrived from AG photographic today, bar the delay in processing they are bloody perfect. the scans are spot on and hardly any dust or work needed on them delighted with the quality just a bit slow on the service

well my negs arrived from AG photographic today, bar the delay in processing they are bloody perfect. the scans are spot on and hardly any dust or work needed on them delighted with the quality just a bit slow on the service

As the very old saying goes: good, fast, cheap - pick two.

(Actually, I'm sure there are services that manage all three relatively well, and AG is ridiculously slow, but the concept is still solid)

Ive used AG and been mightily impressed with the quality. Hope to send off another film soon

Seems par for the course. Mine took 15 days, postbox-to-letterbox, IIRC.
15 days is a bit too long even for me and I'm not usually in a rush to be disappointed.:)

Bother. Just noticed that Trumps in Newington (Edinburgh) has "come to the end of [its] time at this location". They've moved, but don't say where...

Can't image that was a cheap location but at the same time nice and close to the uni. I've not used him in ages, when I moved out to the gyle it just wasn't practical to schlep across town twice. Now if I can get my bathroom finished I can try (again) to do some colour stuff and save on the postage.

It is and for that reason alone I get mine done elsewhere, nothing wrong with their processing but I like mine to drop through the letterbox 2 days after I've posted them.

Same. I was very impressed with the quality of UKFilmLab, but the turn around time was excruciating. Saying that, it was worth the wait, the scanning was incredible.

I've updated the handy 35mm and 120 film processing price estimator to include UK Fim Labs and the new Royal Mail ripoff postage. I've also corrected a couple of postage errors, but there may be more.

(PS I think the link in the starter post of this thread takes you to one of the locked sheets; you need to click on the Summary Sheet once you get there. The URL needs to end in gid=0 rather than gid=1.)

My AG order of 7 Dev + Scan B&W 35mm came back, took them about 2 and a half weeks, which was a little disappointing.

Finding that all the scans sit very in the middle of the histogram. When editing levels I need to bring the blacks and whites in a lot more than I would have expected to just to get the right range and contrast. It's not a huge problem but slightly annoying having to do the same for each image.

There are also a number of horizontal scratch marks. I need to investigate these. Could either be from the scanner, or the camera, or the developing process. If they're not on the negatives then I'll know they're from scanning. Some of them are quite strong, and they're not 100% consistent so that would suggest to me that it wasn't my gear that did it? Should really check.

My AG order of 7 Dev + Scan B&W 35mm came back, took them about 2 and a half weeks, which was a little disappointing.

Finding that all the scans sit very in the middle of the histogram. When editing levels I need to bring the blacks and whites in a lot more than I would have expected to just to get the right range and contrast. It's not a huge problem but slightly annoying having to do the same for each image.

There are also a number of horizontal scratch marks. I need to investigate these. Could either be from the scanner, or the camera, or the developing process. If they're not on the negatives then I'll know they're from scanning. Some of them are quite strong, and they're not 100% consistent so that would suggest to me that it wasn't my gear that did it? Should really check.

I took a look at the negatives and can't see any lines created by the camera or development process (although I don't have a magnifier to study them up really close).

Have contacted them and they got back to me in less than an hour. Apparently it can happen when scanning if there's a few dust spots. They've offered to rescan the negatives for me, so I'll be sending them back and hoping they look right this time. The couple of times I've spoken to them they seem to have very good customer service.

I have to say I'm quite impressed with Peak Imaging, I sent them 12 rolls last Friday, they had it by Monday and I got a package from them on Tuesday. Negs are clean and scratch free as well. Will probably use them for E6/bulk processing since I like developing at home and I'm a bit loyal to my local lab so they get my C41.

Back