Film Photo Challenge 17 - 'Man vs Nature' Discussion Thread **Last Call for Entries**

I could probably get one up at some point tomorrow, but it's fine if anyone's in a rush or something :)

If you can get it posted tomorrow then I'll hold of off opening the poll, there's no rush but we have to draw the line somewhere.

So last call for entries for this challenge, if anybody has shots that are about to be processed or that just haven't been posted yet I'll keep it open for a couple more days but not for much longer but if not I'll close it tonight and get the poll up (y)

Thanks for doing this!

I thought I was too late but I will put something in now.

Heather

Oh Gordon Bennett, this is SO frustrating! More and more lovely images keep piling in! Give us early birds a chance folks, please... :shrug::bang:

Oh Gordon Bennett, this is SO frustrating! More and more lovely images keep piling in! Give us early birds a chance folks, please... :shrug::bang:

Was that a bit aggro? Didn't mean to be; missing an irony smiley... :thinking:

....made me chuckle :LOL:

....sorry :naughty:

Heather

Much as i wanted to get an entry into this challenge, I'm afraid it simply isn't going to happen on this occasion not even with an additional couple of days.

Some nice entries posted from you guys though ....well done!

Much as i wanted to get an entry into this challenge, I'm afraid it simply isn't going to happen on this occasion not even with an additional couple of days.

Some nice entries posted from you guys though ....well done!

Come on Asha I can't believe you haven't shot something you could shoehorn into Man vs Nature, it's quite a broad subject really :LOL:

Ah, the secret is just to enter when everybody else is on holiday or too busy like I did last month :D

Damn.

I wouldn't wait for my entry. Seems i didn't load the film properly. Just kept winding on past 36, then when i tried to wind it back into the cannister there was next to no resistance. Opened the back and it was all in anyway.

Quite depressed about that, would have easily been my best roll yet. What annoys me is that a lot of the shots are impossible to replicate, would have made great memories :(

Damn.

I wouldn't wait for my entry. Seems i didn't load the film properly. Just kept winding on past 36, then when i tried to wind it back into the cannister there was next to no resistance. Opened the back and it was all in anyway.

Quite depressed about that, would have easily been my best roll yet. What annoys me is that a lot of the shots are impossible to replicate, would have made great memories :(

That's bad news, if it's any consolation it's happened to most of us at one time or another. You just need to look at the 101 Ways to ruin a roll of film thread.

How to ruin a film

As for your actual problem, it's often very tempting to try and squeeze that extra 1 or 2 frames from a roll but you're far better off making 100% sure that the film is on the take-up spool and winding on properly before you close the back. Also when you've closed the back use the rewind crank to take up the slack in the roll and when you've taken a shot make sure that you can see it turning when you wind on.

Anyway it's a hard lesson learnt and just make sure you're ready for the next challenge.

Last edited:
I've done this a few times. And then spend weeks paranoid about doing it afterwards.

Now I just make more certain the end is feeding properly and coiled tightly to the spool. I also make sure to watch the film rewind crank actually rotates as I wind on the first few shots (that is the key sign that the film isn't spooling properly).

Although having recently read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographs...1613/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342689370&sr=8-1 (Photographs not Taken) I'm a little less concerned about the shots I miss. I've adopted the mindset that sometimes just knowing you had the shot and having that visualisation of it can be enough. The photo itself is just the icing on the cake.

I also make sure to watch the film rewind crank actually rotates as I wind on the first few shots (that is the key sign that the film isn't spooling properly).

I actually noticed that that wasn't happening, but i'm not familiar with the camera so i just ploughed on through. Ah well, guess i have to fashion one of those film retrievers now :p

Come on Asha I can't believe you haven't shot something you could shoehorn into Man vs Nature, it's quite a broad subject really :LOL:

Your persuasion paid off Nick ....managed to dig out a shot! (y)

I actually noticed that that wasn't happening, but i'm not familiar with the camera so i just ploughed on through. Ah well, guess i have to fashion one of those film retrievers now :p

I bought a film header retriever/picker a while back and it's such a handy tool.

I quite often now with 35mm make a note of the shots taken on the counter, unload the film, use a CD pen to note the date and number on the cassette and then load something else. I can then just retrieve the header and reload it and wind it back on past that count later on to finish it up.

So far it's working well, and just an extra shot to be sure has actually seemed to even prove unnecessary (but i still do it just to be sure).

How does the voting work exactly?
As competitor, can i vote for someone else?, am i obliged to vote for someone? presumably i can't vote for myself although that could be cool if i could as likely be the only vote I would get!! lol

You can vote for as many or as few photos as you like and indeed if you just want to vote for your own shot then you can do that :LOL:

Has everybody voted?

I know it's supposed to be up for a week but if all the votes are in we may as well call for an official count up and crack on with the next one.

Did mine before Asha asked about how to vote so didn't realise I could vote for more than one!

:bonk:

Heather

I've voted too :) (y)

...so've I (voted, that is...)

Well I reckon the two in the lead should give us a clue what subject they would choose in the next competition, to give more advance warning for those too slow to finish the film up in their cameras and then make excuses:)

Well I reckon the two in the lead should give us a clue what subject they would choose in the next competition, to give more advance warning for those too slow to finish the film up in their cameras and then make excuses:)

Explaination please as I am new at this?

Heather

Explaination please as I am new at this?

Heather

Well the winner announces the subject for the next comp, and you have about one month to take and submit a shot....which is not long enough for some people.
Taken to the extreme if the comp was for 6 months how could anybody not enter, so it should be some reasonable minimum time which 99% find convenient. :shrug:

Taken to the extreme if the comp was for 6 months how could anybody not enter, so it should be some reasonable minimum time which 99% find convenient. :shrug:

You would have thought so but unfortunately sometimes life not only imitates art it gets in the way as well.

It's the f&c section we're kind of used to waiting for these things to develop.

Folks, there hasn't been a new vote for a couple of days, so to move things on I think I'm going to concede. Just in case it's bad taste, I won't name the winner (presumably the organiser does that) but I'm happy she be declared. :clap:

This has been so much fun; I haven't enjoyed something like this... ever. I think I probably shot 4 rolls of film on various "takes" of the theme, so with process and scan I could probably have got another couple of Oly Trips for that money:thinking:... or be well on the way to a "proper" camera (MF of course). :naughty:

Hey Chris have you voted for yourself as it could be a draw :)

Well done Heather, glad to see that you are getting on so well with film...I knew you would..

Steve.

Yes, well done Heather, a great shot.

Andy

Thank you all who voted for me and for nice comments too!

Heather

Back